How I’m quitting Overwatch

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey! My name is Max and I’m 17 yo Russian guy. A little intro how I fucked up my life.    I wasn’t big fan of computer games until 13. That year I decided to move from regular school to online

Hey everybody. I’m past 3 weeks milestone (20 days 21 hours 4 minutes). Last week was great and I would like to share my thoughts. The most important thing obviously is that I didn’t relapse. I d

Hi how's it going? I've quit Gaming for about two years now and I hope I can help. My journey started when I felt like I was wasting all my time on video games in general. First playing RE2 then

Posted Images

Day 10. I didn’t post yesterday in the evening like I usually do because my cold got worse. I felt so bad yesterday that I fell asleep at 7 PM. Now I feel a bit better, but still not very good. I was even thinking about playing Overwatch while I’m sick, but the fact that I would play on 60 Hz monitor keeps me away. I am (was) a hardcore gamer and simply can’t play on hardware that gives me disadvantage. So as I said before, I am done with Overwatch forever. 

Also.. I am done with YouTube, 9GAG, Twitch and all that shit. I feel like that just replaced gaming, instead of normal hobbies like I wanted. I’ll delete all of that. 

Edited by WhoCares
  • Like 2

Day 11. Still ill, but I’m better. Watched some Twitch unfortunately, but it wasn’t fun and I uninstalled. 

@Haymitch Well, I wouldn’t say that my monitor is low quality, it’s 4k IPS 27” screen, perfect for work but bad for gaming. Just as needed. I am planning to learn coding and electronics, cook food and workout. In other words live a decent life. 

@Bird By Bird Thanks, I’ll try those. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

Hi man, Ive been scrolling through your journal a bit and I feel like your problems with gaming are very similar to mine also. I didnt read every post so maybe I missed something but I think what you really need is a competitive hobby. Because when you play games like overwatch and dota or league of legends and try to get good its in the end to satisfy a competitive nature in yourself. I mean there is a reason you dont get addicted to games like the witcher or skyrim (im sure some people actually do) and thats because you want to experience growth and you want to experience it in comparison to other people. I mean have you ever tried to play overwatch against bots? Its boring as hell and winning against them wont give you anything. But the feeling of being more skilled than others and actually having a direct comparison can feel amazing.

So if you try to fill the hole that overwatch left with things like programming and arduino and engineering it will only bring you so far. Because in the end its not enough. Im not saying you should stop doing those things, quite the opposite ! But you need something competitive. Another problem in this regard I see is that you did online schooling which is fine by itself but when you have friends who are writing the same exams as you this can also be kind of competitive, like you know try to get better grades and stuff. But I think the best solution would be to join a competitive sport. Can be anything really. I think martial arts or team sports are very nice because they more directly competitive. Working out by yourself will also not solve this need of competition. But soccer / boxing / mma / marathons / competitive weightlifting / rugby might fill that need. 

Maybe I am on the wrong track here but for me I solved this problem by joining a martial arts gym, I always notice that I relapse much easier in to dota when I didnt go to my training for a while because of injuries or whatever.

Maybe give it a try?

• Like 1

@dirac Thank you for your suggestion, but I believe that's not the case. Few weeks ago I found out that I wasn't driven by competitive aspect while playing Overwatch. 

On 9/15/2020 at 9:12 PM, WhoCares said:

As I said above I don’t know why I crave for Overwatch so much, but after you said “but you’re also not going to be doing it at an expert level”, I guess now I have a hint. Perhaps I played it that much just because this is the only thing I’m relatively good at. Because I don’t actually seek action or shooting, I’m fine with something slow like hiking or meditation. I finally got it! I liked Overwatch that much just because I knew every aspect of it. And this is why other games seemed boring to me, because I can’t be bothered to learn a new game from scratch. And I didn’t want to play something I’m not good at. So to beat my Overwatch addiction I just need to master something so well, that it’ll just replace Overwatch for me. And I have an idea what could it be.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:30 PM, WhoCares said:

Thanks to @Band_to_the_Bone now I know what I need to do. I need to master something on a proper level, like I did with Overwatch. So since today I’m gonna study electronics/programming/digital design 4 times harder than before. I know it’ll be tough, but I need to do this. 

When Overwatch just came out and I was very bad at it, I even stopped playing completely for 3 months because I was learning Arduino for 5 hours a day 7 days a week. I didn't even think about playing, and when I wasn't home I was craving to program something lol. So I think the reason behind my Overwatch addiction is that I became way too good at it. I don't think it has anything to do with competitive aspect, I tried cs:go, pubg, apex legends, but I couldn't play more than 2 hours because I was getting bored. I don't want to play a game as a beginner. This is why I don't play Overwatch anymore even tho I would relapse if I still had my gaming monitor. I can't play Overwatch casually, if I'm not playing at peak performance I'm not playing at all. So I believe it's about passion, not competition.

• Like 1

Day 12. Quitting YouTube and Twitch is much harder than I thought. Since now I’ll start treating it like I did with gaming addiction. I’ll delete my accounts on both services. After spending half a day without YouTube I experienced boredom. And when I had boredom in the past I would play computer games, watch YouTube or Twitch. This time I had no escape. I was extremely bored, I was that bored that I decided to read a chapter of a book and then done my English homework. Usually I just postpone these things in order to game or browse internet. The effect of boredom might be fantastic. 

So September ended. To be honest I completely wasted it. 8 months left before exams. But now I’m motivated to finally start studying. September was the month when I quit Overwatch (I know it sounds like it’s too soon to say such things, but cmon, I don’t have hardware (monitor) nor software (account) to play. Also I’ve got mentally destroyed last time I played, so I’m done for sure). October would be the month I quit this streaming services shit.

Day 13. Last 5 years I was close with only one person. Today I realized that he has everything I despise in people. I want to stop communicating with him, but now he’s living with me. Hope he’ll leave soon. I feel like I’m not being understood by others. Like I have nothing in common with people I meet in my life. Perhaps the problem is in me, things that are important for others don’t mean shit to me. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, WhoCares said:

Day 13. Last 5 years I was close with only one person. Today I realized that he has everything I despise in people. I want to stop communicating with him, but now he’s living with me. Hope he’ll leave soon. I feel like I’m not being understood by others. Like I have nothing in common with people I meet in my life. Perhaps the problem is in me, things that are important for others don’t mean shit to me. 

Yikes, this stinks. But, on the other hand it is not that unusual for someone in late teens. This is the best period to search for new people who suit you and your values. Go for it
Tip: Look for non-gamers :P 

Edited by gargamel
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, WhoCares said:

Man just wait till you go to university or some other place of like minded people. I know many friends who felt like that in school and had the time of their life in university, meeting people with the same interests and similar values! Congrats on 13 days !

• Like 2

Day 14. Two weeks without gaming. Today I decided to turn off all Wi-Fi routers I have. My fight with streaming services gone a bit too far and I just disabled internet everywhere but on my PC. The thing is, I am unmotivated as fuck, I don't want to do anything. Today I was just lying in my bed for 1.5 hr because I can't force myself to do anything. Perhaps gaming and watching streaming services were the only things I truly enjoyed. And since they're gone, I'm empty. Like the only emotion I feel during the day is... misery I guess. I can't even remember what happened today. I woke up at 8 AM, meditated, started soldering DIY kit and now it's 10 PM. WTF? Tomorrow I'll use time tracking app. 

On 9/29/2020 at 6:41 PM, Bird By Bird said:

You can use the Leechblocker or UnDistracted extensions for Chrome to block all that shit. Let me know if those help.

Thanks again for your advice, I started using UnDistracted. Very simple and does it's job, just what I want. 

Edited by WhoCares
  • Like 1