How I’m quitting Overwatch

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey! My name is Max and I’m 17 yo Russian guy. A little intro how I fucked up my life.    I wasn’t big fan of computer games until 13. That year I decided to move from regular school to online

Hey everybody. I’m past 3 weeks milestone (20 days 21 hours 4 minutes). Last week was great and I would like to share my thoughts. The most important thing obviously is that I didn’t relapse. I d

Hi how's it going? I've quit Gaming for about two years now and I hope I can help. My journey started when I felt like I was wasting all my time on video games in general. First playing RE2 then

Posted Images

On 4/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, WhoCares said:

Well I think that sports are just way too boring. I used to play football a lot (3-5 hours a day, I played only because I had nothing to do in school), but I didn't like people I was playing with. So while in a game you have different teammates every match, in real life you're stuck with same people, and if they are retards you can't change it. But finding decent people isn't a problem, I just never liked sports. Rules are too basic and the pace is extremely slow compared to Overwatch.

You’ve got to be kidding me man. Your tall build gives you a natural advantage in a sport like basketball. Have you played it? Do you know how fast paced it is and how much hand-eye coordination is needed? What about controlling the pace of the game and making sure you’ve got enough strength left towards the end? A couple of years back I found a college group that played basketball in the evenings. I couldn’t really keep up, but these guys would get so absorbed, they’d forget what time it was. Extremely competitive and engaging. Constant layup attacks, Three point shots, tactical fouling and very smart passing tricks. Counter attacks were a real thrill to watch. OW will never be as fast paced as that game, because OW imposes arbitrary limits on the actions you can perform within a time frame. A real life sport enables you to.. push your personal limits of strength, speed, agility, technique etc.

I want to build up an excellent cardio right now to be a real force in my sparring sessions. Wishing you to reignite that fire.

Edited by Amphibian220
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, WhoCares said:

Now I know, I don’t want to play Overwatch.. I need. Goodbye.

Wait, what? You need to play Overwatch, and that need overrides all your other goals and hopes?

Dude, come on back. There is still a chance for you to walk away from Overwatch and into the wider world.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, WhoCares said:

Now I know, I don’t want to play Overwatch.. I need. Goodbye.

I understand. Reading your journal, it sounds as if you are an intelligent, talented, and successful person. There must be something relating to one of these traits or another that Overwatch satisfies? What are these needs?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WhoCares said:

@Amphibian220 @Zeno @Theresa @WorkInProgress @TheNewMe2.0 I’m sorry, but I gave up. Can’t do this anymore. Every time I’m just hurting myself more and more. I have no reasons to live, the only thing that gives me pleasure is Overwatch. My existence is a mistake. 

Your existence is not a mistake! Every time you quit, no matter for how long or how little, you are doing so many amazing things! Over the last couple of weeks, I've been looking forward to every single journal entry of yours. You made a difference in my life, and likely in the life of many others here and your own life too.

I know that it hurts a lot, but you have to endure! Don't give up, and it will get better in the long run, it always does. Think of how many more years of life there are ahead of you, and how exciting they could be. Even if you do not get into a university next year, there are many things you can do. And even if you will struggle with gaming for many more years (I did), it will be a better life than not trying at all. 

Life is life man, you can be upset at it as much as you want, but quitting on it- that's poopyyyy. Hang in there!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WhoCares said:

@Amphibian220 @Zeno @Theresa @WorkInProgress @TheNewMe2.0 I’m sorry, but I gave up. Can’t do this anymore. Every time I’m just hurting myself more and more. I have no reasons to live, the only thing that gives me pleasure is Overwatch. My existence is a mistake. 

What @Pochatok said!

Give yourself a chance to find out what may be out there in the world for you!

Life may be difficult, sometimes, and full of risks. The things you need to do are not always immediately satisfying. But day by day, year by year, you can learn how to make your own life and the lives of others better, even in small ways.

You can find a purpose for yourself in that, and with it a kind of satisfaction that is far deeper and more powerful than the momentary pleasures you might get playing a game.

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, WhoCares said:

You can do this. You always have a choice regardless of how you feel or the circumstances you encounter. It’s definitely hurting you more to play since you’re avoiding confronting something in your life. Saying your existence is a mistake is not only false but also a cop-out. As the others have said, give the world a chance to benefit from your talents and gifts. Online games are designed to make you addicted and to make everything in life feel boring. It’s a slow recovery just like making any new habit is and it’s difficult. Ultimately, the decision is yours as it’s your life. All of us here are struggling like you and with you and we also rooting for you.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, WhoCares said:

My existence is a mistake. 

One more thought: We're all in the world more or less by accident, and we are never in complete control of what happens to us and around us while we're here. But you are not entirely helpless, you are not alone, and you can give your life meaning by what you choose and what you work toward.

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 2

I have a story about enduring like pochatok said. I met this Buddhist monk and he sat in this awkward position on the floor for like a long time. And I asked him how do you sit like that. And he said practice and stretch. But that sometimes in life you must endure.

Anyways. Are you meditating? Try to set an alarm for the same time everyday and meditate 5 minutes a day and increase by 5 minutes a week till you hit your goal total time per day. If you want to get really ambitious you can try to do 20 minutes a day to start but that's up to you. Doing yoga might help with self control too. Make a commitment and a rule to follow that if you get tempted to game you'll go do something else instead till you stop having such bad cravings like an extra 5 minutes of meditation, taking a walk, watching tv, other hobbies, or just taking 5 conscious breaths.

Good luck brother.

Edited by TheNewMe2.0
  • Like 1

You know what? I have an idea how to stop procrastination. Fuck all my educational plans, I don't fucking care about it anymore. Past 2 years the only question people were asking me is my plans on university. I was thinking about final exams for years. Fuck all of that, I won't go to university or prepare for those shitty exams. I don't give a single flying fuck anymore. I'll finish school and do whatever the fuck I want. I'm so sick of doing things I hate, I procrastinate so much because I always have to do some retarded shit that I couldn't care less about. I'm gonna do Linux related stuff and programming projects. The only thought of school exams and university makes me fucking sick.

• Like 1

why are you talking this way. School is there for a reason: it gives you the building blocks to develop your faculties. You need to acquire basic knowledge across a range of subjects, not just one subject. This then gives you a more open mind when solving problems in your job, and it also enables you to transfer into other fields of work during your life.

School is a necessary part of development and let me say boredom is part of any job (to a greater or lesser extent), no matter how exciting it seems at first. The school is not an exception to this.

Edited by Amphibian220
  • Like 2

Hey, 

I find school not interesting as well. I am enjoying myself in college but I often find myself despising the amount of work my professors pile on me and I often find myself stressed. Most of the time I'd rather be doing something else. 

As boring as school may be, it's important. Not only does it have building blocks like amphibian said and improves your problem solving skills, but I see it as a place to explore and master whatever you're interested in that point in time. There will be a lot of moments in your life where you think "this is pointless" especially in your dream job, but you need to power through those boring moments. Maybe you'll even look back and think "wow that wasn't pointless. 

I don't think school is causing you to procrastinate. Again, school can get boring and be a lot. By the end of the day though procrastination comes from the person, inside them, valuing one thing over the other. It's not from someone else giving you something because probably doesn't come from someone else. I hope you're able to get over your procrastination issue, but throwing all your work out the window, won't solve it. You have to deal with the issue face to face. 

Best 

Jason

• Like 1

Okay, I'm going to out myself a little here: I teach at a university. If you want a draining, time-consuming, often tedious and frustrating task, try grading a stack of papers from students.

Hyped up on gaming, as I had been until recently, the task - maybe the most important thing I could be doing as part of my job - became nearly intolerable to me. I would so much rather be playing . . .

I would do it anyway, because I'm a dutiful sort of person, but it would hurt . . . and that couldn't have been doing my students any good!

Now that I've been off gaming for a few weeks, I can have the calm and the patience to do the work and, even though it is still draining and sometimes frustrating, I can still take my time to do it well, and my students do better the next time around. It builds on itself.

Much the same happened with writing, also another part of my work. It was almost physically painful to try to write a coherent paragraph when, in the past, I've literally written books.

Now, free of games and able to sit still for a while, I have set aside two hours every the morning - even on weekends - during which I am allowed to do nothing but write, except for a short break for tea in the middle. I'm suddenly on my way to being productive again.

Managing your time, defining your tasks, keeping a list of particular things you need to get done so you get the satisfaction of checking them off one by one as you complete them, all of these things can help . . . once your brain comes out of its game-induced frenzy.

Edited by Zeno
  • Like 1

Listen. I was traumatized by school because my mom screamed at me to do it so often as a child. Still she has pushed me my whole life to earn 100k or more per year and to get degrees so that I can qualify for a better job that will pay that much. I pushed myself to go back to school and completed my masters in psychology and it was not easy. I barely got by at times but I did it. And I'm glad I did because now I have a chance at making six figures.

If you don't want to do school then you better have a realistic and darn good plan to make six figures without that degree. If you can do that then maybe you'll be one of the lucky few who are wealthy without a college degree. But like everyone else is saying, I strongly encourage you to pursue a degree in a field that you like or are the most okay with so that you can have a better quality of life via earning more money post degree.