NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

The effects of other habits in gaming addiction.

Dpesuti

Hello everyone. I listen to high-energy electronic music(artists like au5) when I drive, and it helps. I also listen to chill electronic music (artists like c418) when I want to concentrate on something important. Overall, I could sit for hours and listen to either if I wanted, and I sometimes lose track of time while listening to them as well. I don’t think I’m addicted to music though since I can control when I listen.

Could music have an impact on gaming addiction? Could it prolong the time needed to recover since music also triggers a dopamine release? If there are other habits or addictions that could make it harder to quit games, what are they? I‘m guessing it depends on how much dopamine is released from each habit, but I don’t know.

@Dpesuti

To start off, I would not see dopamine as being unnatural. It is something the human body needs to register success and positive emotions. 

Instead, I would suggest focusing on the size and frequency of the releases rather than whether or not they should be released at all. 

I don't think music really triggers the same intervals of dopamine release that gaming does as it causes smaller releases with larger intervals in between rather than the multiple dopamine releases in rapid succession that games cause. 

In all honesty, I still listen to background instrumentals that comes from video games, but I do not feel any urges or cravings to game as I no longer associate them with the act of playing the games and instead just listen to it for the sake of enjoying instrumental music rather than reminiscing about my time playing games. In fact, I don't remember any instances playing any of the games I used to play even when listening to the BGM. 

When it comes to music, as long as you can do other things with music in the background and don't get too heavily distracted by it, I think it is okay in my opinion.

As for hobbies, the way I see it, games trigger dopamine releases in a different way. For example, you could get many large dopamine triggers in an extremely short timespan with games whereas a different hobby that takes more time to master or take longer to complete a project (such as 3D modeling, music/media production, or writing stories/literature) has longer time spans between releases as the dopamine release does not trigger until completion of a task (which could constitute days or even months depending on the size and scope of the project or product being worked on). 

The one habit/addiction I would warn you of is social media addiction. Namely on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Those use the same behavior mechanics and addiction inducing mechanics as video games and trigger dopamine releases through mechanics such as likes and shares. 

That's my input on the topic. I hope the answer I gave was helpful. 😅Feel free to ask any other questions that come to mind and I can answer them the best I can. 

Thanks @amchow, that’s a relief, I love music, and the world would be dull without it. I’m trying to do acrylic painting with those “paint by numbers” Kits for my hobby, and sometimes I tend to lose track of time doing it. But I guess maybe it’s because I’ve never learned to manage my time when doing the things that I enjoy. I’ve been addicted to games since childhood.

i can see how social media can be addicting, I’ll make sure to watch how much time I spend on those, thanks.

• Like 1