NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Helen's diary.

good job holding the line, keep stuff scheduled so you have things to do

a reading list might also help with books on deck so you don't run out

being productive costs energy and willpower so those have to be built up over time like exercising muscles, make sure you let yourself do non-productive activities that aren't gaming so you have "rest periods"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Helen said:

Day 13.

Thank you for the encouragement. 🙂 I rode my bike and walked with my friend and discussed addiction with her. I heard about a mutual friend who had a baby and it is Winter here and I would like to have a go at making the baby something like teeny baby socks or something. When I finish my work tomorrow I am going to look up things to make. Also tomorrow I am going to tackle my garden weeds. I haven't had time for that. Today I painted my nails which makes me feel good and I haven't had time for that either. Nails take so long to dry and you can't really use your hands while the nails are drying so that just didn't work. Today I found time. I felt tempted to play some old word game on my Laptop and I said "it doesn't count" but I don't believe that because it has all the "level up" excitement attached to it and I think it would be like an Alcoholic drinking low (not no) alcohol drink. I would really like to go 90 days without any games at all. I am going to log off and delete it because it is mocking me and it never gave me joy. A fix yes. Joy no. 💛

Good plan. Addiction will slowly creep back from time to time and you made the right decision. I'm glad you went bike riding. Idk if I mentioned this in your diary but take time to rest. Video games keep us energized in a very unhealthy way and our bodies need to relax. If painting your nails helps then do that and maybe find a nice podcast or show and just appreciate yourself. 

• Like 1

Day 14. Two weeks. I am doing this. I miss aspects (obviously) but I don't miss the time I HAD to give to it. Had to give to it. Couldn't stop, or stop for long, scary and shameful. I don't feel shame anymore. Now that I understand how it all works and the gaming industry is the same as any other industry, their goal is to make money. No one forced me to play anything although I do feel now that I have read and listened that I was being played as much as I was playing. I was definitely getting more involved and spending more time and feeling annoyed if I was interrupted. ( for years) Today a friend helped me for about 2 hours to pull weeds in the quite small but overgrown garden at the back of my place. To be honest it nearly killed me but it was a good workout and I feel good about it. I would like to have a go at growing herbs or something easy. I also had a look on the internet for baby socks which are sooo cute. I am grateful for kind people, the fact I have a job, and the fact that my bedroom has an en suite bathroom. 😁🚽🛀

@Helen Two weeks is massive when we consider how long many of us were playing these games for. The gaming industry is as good as it is bad. Lots of people full of passion and who love to create but then larger companies who do it just for money and those are the ones which thrive and catch us in their web.

Pulling out those weeds has got two good things going for it. The work out that you can feel proud doing and that when its done, you can take pride in what it looks like as its your and your friends work, which you can keep adding to with growing 🙂 

• Like 2

Yeah congratulations on two weeks. It is a long time. 90 days and you get all those benefits they talk about on their detox article on here. Pulling all those weeds sounds tough. Good work getting through all that. My mom gardens like that I can't really do it or I get too exhausted. I'm grateful for my bathroom too. It's really nice to not have to share with anyone. Small mammals are cute. 

Edited by Erik2.0
  • Like 1

Day 15.I finished the modules so I am posting my goals now. 

1. Get up on week days and be at my desk by nine. (I want to work from home, not from bed)                     😁
2.Spend 10mins every day in my garden and have one growing herb or veg ready to pick by Christmas.     🎄
3. Keep up the socials by zoom and go out again when we can.                                                                          🕺🎷🎸🎹:1520_dancer_tone1:
4. Spend half an hour a day mastering the knitting of socks for friend's baby.                                                   🧦
5. Ride my bike Friday and two other days plus learn the gears well.                                                                  🚴‍♂️
6. Work for half an hour 3 times per week on my spinning wheel.                                                                       :304_spider_web:
7. Post every day until I get to day 90. (but I don't have to stop)                                                                             :706_postbox:

Day 17.It was a friends birthday today and we had tea all together and it was the first time I have been with so many people since lock down. There were 9 of us. I wonder how I had time to spend so many, many, many, hours per day playing video games. When I first looked at my stats I thought it was wrong. I thought it wasn't physically possible. I am still scratching my head really but as Cam says "this is a new chapter" It wasn't all bad. There are worse ways of spending time. I just don't want to do it anymore and can't sustain not doing it on my own, so I am here, not doing it. I kept to my goals mainly because I haven't said I will do things every day because today I baked and cleaned to help my friend for her birthday tea. I am really tired and going to bed. 😁

🍷 🍷🎂🍰 🍵🍵🍪

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Helen said:

Day 17.It was a friends birthday today and we had tea all together and it was the first time I have been with so many people since lock down. There were 9 of us. I wonder how I had time to spend so many, many, many, hours per day playing video games. When I first looked at my stats I thought it was wrong. I thought it wasn't physically possible. I am still scratching my head really but as Cam says "this is a new chapter" It wasn't all bad. There are worse ways of spending time. I just don't want to do it anymore and can't sustain not doing it on my own, so I am here, not doing it. I kept to my goals mainly because I haven't said I will do things every day because today I baked and cleaned to help my friend for her birthday tea. I am really tired and going to bed. 😁

🍷 🍷🎂🍰 🍵🍵🍪

That's great. Spending time with others is one of the main ways to combat gaming addiction and is one of the main reasons some people game. They need to be with others and don't try to spend time with others in person. They'll choose gaming first. 

• Like 2