NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Question About Certain Mobile Apps

amchow

I am wondering about this. Right now, while I am focusing on detoxing, I was thinking about this after I woke up.

I once tried to do the following apps/games to combat feeling the urge to play RPGs: 

• Color By Number 
  • Jigsaw Puzzles and Word Searches
  • Mahjong Tile Matching (Offline)
  • Match 3 (modded Disney Emoji Blitz and Candy Crush with a dummy FB account for saving)

I originally did these in moderation (1-2 levels on one game alone and put it down) until I reinstalled RPGs and MMORPGs and abandoned them to max out time on the RPGs (didn't touch them after that). 

Would these be acceptable to pick up for occasional entertainment after doing a 90 day (not right now of course, it's only day 2 for me at the time of this post)?

I think its important to recognize that time gates, energy systems, blind bags, and gatcha aren't a gameplay mechanic but a habituation mechanic.  The comparison is that single player games like legend of zelda are a glass of wine with dinner while multiplayer pvp pay-to-win blind bag gatcha games like clash of clans is like shooting heroin behind a dumpster. 

Thinking about how some publisher executive is laughing because he is getting rich by sucking away your time and mental energy and turning you into a chewtoy for the paypig whales should make you disgusted enough that you don't want to play those anymore.

IMO as long as games don't specifically have those intentionally addictive components they can be cautiously enjoyed.

• Like 3

As much as @ace_dee put it rather...bluntly. I do agree that if you are going to play games in moderation, you would probably want to play games that give a real sense of enjoyment. whether for the story or the game play. 

Now having that real sense of enjoyment may make the non-mobile games addicting in it's own right, it would definitely beat playing a small game that was DESIGNED to get you addicted and possibly even have you pay more money than the average cost of any non-mobile game. I have spent about $200 on a mobile idle-game called tap titans 2 and honestly? I could've bought the entire yakuza series twice with that money and would've had a much better experience playing something with compelling story and game play compared to a game that I look at every here and there for the sake of seeing big numbers.

As for MMORPGs I can't say....I get attached to those way to easily and so I dropped them after I lost a year off of one. 

• Like 3

@ToastyMuffin

I don't intend on returning to RPGs and MMORPGs in general due to how they are designed. 

As for the types I listed, I enjoy doing those and didn't feel overly compelled to play them especially when the two mentioned in the last category had mods that added free iaps and infinite boosters and move amounts thus completely eliminating the elements that would compel a player to play constantly and giving a level/round success rate of 100% due to the mods. It made them so easy and more enjoyable to do than without mods. 

I never felt compelled to play constantly and enjoyed them rather than addicted to them like with RPGs and MMORPGs. 

As I stated in my first post to this topic, I don't intend to pick those up until I've completed my detox and my brain had returned to normal dopamine levels.

Edited by amchow
  • Like 1

Most of those mobile games you listed are also real-life games. Mahjong is actually a really good game for sharpening memory and observation skills. 

But people have even been known to get addicted to online chess. You can become addicted to Literally anything.
If it's habitual and then makes your life unmanageable, BAM! Addicted. So all things in moderation 🙂

I think as you describe it now, those games are safe to play. I also suggest trying the physical counterparts as well though!
There's something so satisfying about the tactile sensations of real card/board/pen & paper games. 

• 2 months later...

@amchow I think if you still want to game after the detox the best way would be a singleplayer game (because any multiplayer or online game has the added layer of social connections or competitiveness) with a defined end and the last bit is really important!! because then you can "finish" a game and be done with it and hopefully your itch to game will be gone as well for some time that is how I handled it before quiting for good

@thomasdawson @Undsoweiter

Hey. Thanks for the input. 

I actually already came to the conclusion about 1.5 months ago that going back to any form of game, regardless of whether it is modded or not, would be detrimental to me and would not benefit me in any way. 

I instead found a different activity on my phone in the form of reading summaries and insights from non fiction books and articles to help benefit me in real life. These are provided from apps on the Google Play store and I get real life insights and learn stuff that can benefit my life in terms of finance management and professional development. Finding that a lot more useful and better than gaming in general. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:31 PM, ToastyMuffin said:

As much as @ace_dee put it rather...bluntly. I do agree that if you are going to play games in moderation, you would probably want to play games that give a real sense of enjoyment. whether for the story or the game play. 

Now having that real sense of enjoyment may make the non-mobile games addicting in it's own right, it would definitely beat playing a small game that was DESIGNED to get you addicted and possibly even have you pay more money than the average cost of any non-mobile game. I have spent about $200 on a mobile idle-game called tap titans 2 and honestly? I could've bought the entire yakuza series twice with that money and would've had a much better experience playing something with compelling story and game play compared to a game that I look at every here and there for the sake of seeing big numbers.

As for MMORPGs I can't say....I get attached to those way to easily and so I dropped them after I lost a year off of one. 

I actually collected almost the whole yakuza series on PS3 and PS4.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, curtnorval said:

To get rid of the game addiction, I think you should find yourself a full time job. You won't have time to play games anymore

It sure didn't work for me though, as i found the way the way to squeeze in 3 or more hours after work, thus depriving myself of precious sleep.  

@Pharmacist

Here's a tip that has made avoiding games and not even thinking about them successful for me. 

Change your mental mindset on what your identity is. These statements can pertain to what you want to be outside of gaming such as your career, education (if you are still a student), or who you want to be socially. 

Here's the starting statements I gave myself to give examples:

• I am an Engineer, not a gamer. 
  • I am an Adult, not a child. 
  • I am a Giver, not a receiver. 
  • I am a Friend to others, not a loner. 

Changing your identity and what you believe you are will help with detaching from games as it signifies moving into a new phase of life for yourself. 

Whatever identity statements you come up with, make sure to write them down so you can remember them. 

Give it a try. I am certain it will help. 😄 

• Like 1

@amchow Thx, I don't know if that helps or not but i'll definitely give it a try, my main goal right now is to change my job, and becoming a developer sounds interesting because you can create your own stuff and not just follow strict instructions at work, and since you can also work remotely, programming job to me would be a dream come true, since I can't really deal with people and stresses at work.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...