NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

My daily journal

alphadax

Day #1

This seems like a pretty good idea.  It's a habit I tried a while ago but stopped after some time because I didn't know what to write about in my journal.  It's kind of funny actually because I've also been going through this course on the science of well-being: https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being/home/week/1  They recommend keeping a daily gratitude journal.  So I'll include that here, as well as my requirements I have chosen for Week 7 (exercise and sleep.)

Sleep (Goal: 7+ hours, in bed by 12:00 am)

9 hours (4am - 1pm)

Daily exercise (Goal: 30 min)

30 minute walk around the park after dinner

Things I am grateful for today (Goal: 5 things)

1. I am grateful for this community to help me achieve my goals

2. I am grateful to be alive and well today

3. I am grateful for my friends and family supporting me

4. I am grateful for the life that surrounds me, the birds and other animals that made my walk interesting today

5. I am grateful for the time I have to consider and achieve my goals

Don't know whether I want to report on these daily, so I'll research them more later:

(Meditation)

(Visualization)

(Daily affirmation)

(Goals)

Thanks for reading.

-Austin

Edited by apatton090
  • Like 1

Day #2

Almost forgot to do the journal today. I've been keeping busy, which I guess is a good thing. I'll have to put a time in my calendar for this. Before or after reading, that is the question. I think it should be the last thing before bed.

Summary of the day: did a few modules on the game quitters program, followed by some tidying up on my YouTube feed and other digital distractions. I left many discord servers that I have been a part of for some time which was hard for me to do. A few members reached out to me to see how I was doing, which was nice. I told them my plans and everyone was supportive.

I found a collaborative drawing program called DrawPile that I might explore as a creative and social outlet. My options are fairly limited with quarantine for socializing, so I thought I might as well try something new.

After lunch I went to the park and did a quick walk and meditation. Previously I have only done guided meditation, so I'm not really sure if in doing it right. I was feeling tired / bored so I watched a few episodes of Fruits Basket anime. Motivated myself to clean the fridge and finished up leftovers for dinner. Called and chatted with friends for a bit. I was a little late to the call which made me feel bad. I need to prioritize the time other people give me more over my own needs.

Everyone is struggling with staying motivated during this time, so I am proud of myself for what I have accomplished so far. Finally started reading my friend's book today as well. It's really good, I hope it does well and that more people will read it. It's amazing that he wrote all of it by himself and he's been working on it for so long (over a year.) I am impressed by his resilience and I hope I can inherit some of it.

Sleep (Goal: 7+ hours, in bed by 12:00 am)

6 hours (3am - 9am)

Trying push sleep schedule back so I might be a little sleep deprived for a few days

30 minute walk after lunch

1. I am grateful that I was able to have a fulfilling and productive day without gaming

2. I am grateful for grass (it smells and looks so nice...)

3. I am grateful for the newfound time I have to pursue my goals

4. I am grateful to be happy and healthy today

5. I am grateful for wool socks. They are cozy and warm.

"Although the scars of yesterday remain
You can go on living as much as your heart believes

You can't be born again
Although you can change
Let's stay together always"

-Fruits Basket

Thanks for reading.

-Austin

5 hours ago, Erik2.0 said:

Hello, welcome to the forums. Hope you're doing well. 

Thanks Erik, to you as well.

Day #3

Summary of the day: started out with another module on the game quitters program. Then started the Algorithms 1 course on Coursera. The content and pacing was a bit more difficult than expected, but definitely manageable. I think I will learn a lot, and I hope it will make me a better programmer. I downloaded a meditation app on my phone and did a guided meditation after lunch. It was nice. Had a phone call with a family member and spent some time planning my schedule and logistical things for the next couple months. At this point I realized the weather was clearing up, and took the opportunity to finally get to the grocery store (even though I didn't want to.) My fridge was almost completely barren, so I was really happy to have everything stocked up again. Fresh fruits and vegetables never tasted so good. I think in the future I might try to make a habit of always going to the store at the same day/time. I made some guacamole and cheeseburgers which really hit the spot (probably ate too much.) Since then I've been vegetating on the couch, getting ready to wind down for the night.

Sleep (Goal: 7+ hours, in bed by 11:30 pm)

7 hours (11:30pm - 6:30am)

Didn't go for a walk today, but I did get out of the house and go to the grocery store, so I'm counting that since it's raining now 😛

1. I am grateful to have fresh food again

2. I am grateful that the weather was nice at least for a while

3. I am grateful for my friends and family

4. I am grateful for this comfy couch I am laying on now

5. I am grateful to be full (not hungry) and content

• Like 1

Day #4

Summary of the day:

Finished Respawn today!  Also got my laundry taken care of and cleaned the bathroom.  Showering in a clean tub is the best feeling ever...  My right ear was feeling kind of clogged up, so I did some research on how to fix that.  Some people suggested hydrogen peroxide, but I'm a bit leery of just putting stuff in my ear.  My right ear's always kind of been like this, so I think it's probably better if I just go to a ENT at some point.  Unless it starts to hurt or something I think I will wait until this virus stuff clears out.  Started working on Algorithms homework 1 which is a percolation problem.  The course has been more difficult than expected, just because it uses Java and it's been over 4 years since I had to code in Java.  I'm going to try to relearn things as I go.  Hopefully the required Java knowledge doesn't get too in depth because I really don't feel like becoming a Java expert.  I just want to learn the algorithms.

Had more cheeseburgers and guac today... So tasty.  Practiced my guitar for a bit this evening since my mom wanted me to play for her on mother's day.  Today went by so fast, probably because I woke up a bit later than I wanted.  I will try to get to bed early so I can get up earlier.  I think 7 hours is still not enough for me, so I'm going to try to get 8 hours consistently and see how that goes.  I think the lamp by my bed is keeping me up, so I'm going to try reading in a different room with minimal light (after brushing my teeth), then head straight to bed.

Sleep (Goal: 8 hours, 11:00 pm - 7:00am)

10 hours? (11:30pm - 9:30am) - I slept in today.....  Guess I need to get to bed earlier.

30 minute walk after lunch - I ate too much food, so I was waddling more than walking...

1. I am grateful to have fresh food such as the cheeseburgers and guacamole that i ate today

2. I am grateful to have a clean shower so that I can relax and feel refreshed for the day

3. I am grateful for my glasses that allow me to see clearly

4. I am grateful for this time to reflect and improve on my life

5. I am grateful for my hands which allow me to do so many things

Day #5

Summary of the day:

A bit frustrated today.  I've been working hard on my coding project but run into several roadblocks, making it take longer than expected.  I think I just need to slow down and think about what I want to get out of it.  I really enjoyed the lectures but the assignment was just frustrating since my Java skills are not so great.  I don't want to overwork it and get frustrated, but I also don't want to do it too slowly because I wanted to finish it by Monday June 15th.  Right now I would be slightly behind that schedule.

I'm going to try to get on track to at least pass the assignment (over 80%) by working on it some more tonight.  If I can at least pass, I think I will move on to the next topic.  I mainly wanted to learn the algorithms, whereas this exercise was more about Java syntax and implementation.  I hope it will go smoother as I move along in the course.

At this right I might not have the energy to do more Project Euler questions like I had hoped originally.  Perhaps I will save these for after completing the course.  I can't do too much because I also need to start thinking about cleaning the house in preparation for moving out.

Not sure, I think 1am-9am?  I tried to go to bed at 10:30 but couldn't fall asleep.  Going to try pushing it back 15 minutes each day.

15 minute walk today.  Really wanted to get back to programming

1. I am grateful for my mom!

2. I am grateful for the conversations I had with my family today

3. I am grateful for the sunny weather during my walk

4. I am grateful for this programming challenge, it would not be any fun if it was too easy!

5. I am grateful for the people who are thinking about me

Day #6

Summary of the day:

Again, another pretty frustrating day with programming.  Not much to report, but still haven't been gaming so that's good.  I'm going to move on with this assignment towards other things.  I think I got the general gist of it; just the auto-grader put more points into timing than I thought.  My approach was geared more towards full correctness, but i still couldn't get a passing grade.  Not that it matters since this is all for fun and learning anyway, but still pretty frustrating.  Tomorrow I will be starting Stacks and Queues.  I hope the next assignment will be easier now that I got the hang of Java.

7hr 45 min (1am - 8:45)

Didn't get to it today 😞

Will report back tomorrow

Day #7

Summary of the day:

Took a break from algorithms in the morning and decided to read for a couple hours instead. Made good progress in friend's book, over halfway finished now. Watched the lectures for week 2 on stacks and queues. I had a friend help me with the assignment I was struggling with and I feel a lot better about it now. Even though I failed, I think I can say that I learned something from it. I've definitely come a long way in only a few days, not just with programming but with not gaming and everything else. Sometimes I think it helps to think about how far you've come. Try not to beat yourself up over the little things. Get back on the horse and keep riding. Use every opportunity to improve yourself, especially failure. Look to others not for social comparison, but for inspiration and guidance. In times when you're feeling stressed or bored or inadequate, show some grit. Keep going and don't give up so easily, and be proud of yourself for that. Change doesn't happen overnight. It takes constant and consistent effort to become the person you want to be. The best version of yourself. So for that, I will keep going. But don't forget to exercise and meditate every once and a while 🙂

Sleep (Goal: 8 hours, 11:00 pm - 7:00am)

Roughly 12am-8:15am, tonight: 12am-8am

30 min walk at the park + meditation

1. Dad

2. Mom

3. My cat

4. My niece

5. My aunts and uncles

6. My roommates

7. Almonds and Prunes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apatton090 said:

Sometimes I think it helps to think about how far you've come. Try not to beat yourself up over the little things. Get back on the horse and keep riding. Use every opportunity to improve yourself, especially failure. Look to others not for social comparison, but for inspiration and guidance. In times when you're feeling stressed or bored or inadequate, show some grit. Keep going and don't give up so easily, and be proud of yourself for that. Change doesn't happen overnight. It takes constant and consistent effort to become the person you want to be. The best version of yourself. So for that, I will keep going. But don't forget to exercise and meditate every once and a while 🙂

Hey!

Just wanted to say that this felt like a motivational video while reading this, very inspiring. I agree 100% change doesn't happen overnight, it comes step by step.

Take care,

PL

Day #8

Summary of the day:

I can feel myself losing some of the energy I had from Cam's motivational speeches and quitting games.  I haven't felt the urge to play games much at all, but it has been challenging to manage my time.  Before whenever I had free time, I made sure to leave my schedule completely open.  I did whatever i felt like doing in the moment.  Now my free time is a lot more structured, and it's hard to fit in everything I want to do.  I think I'd like to set up some kind of rotation of activities.  That way maybe I'm not doing everything every single day, but every other day.  Anyway, I made good progress on my algorithms assignment today and spent some good time with family.  Tomorrow I plan to work hard on my assignment and household chores.  I also have a couple odds and ends I'd like to look at.

12am - 8am (8 hrs), continuing back 15 minutes every day

Walk around the neighborhood with my brother and niece

1. I am grateful for sunshine and warmth

2. I am grateful for music

3. I am grateful for couches

4. I am grateful for apples

5. I am grateful for nap time

Edited by apatton090

Day #9

Summary of the day:

Pretty normal day, slept in a bit later than I wanted but I had a lot of energy once i got out of bed.  Made good progress and actually finished the algorithms lectures and assignment for this week.  Felt a bit bored at points throughout the day and wasn't sure what to do.  Got caught up on anime and finished my friend's book.  I enjoyed reading so I might try to find another book to read.  I still need to exercise more.  The weather was really bad today so I didn't want to go outside.  I might try to put together some kind of exercise routine for when I'm stuck indoors.  It doesn't even really have to be exercise, it could be cleaning up around the house.  Just something to keep me moving for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week.

Slept in today 11:30-9:30

~15 min of dumbbell exercises

• Like 1

5 hours ago, apatton090 said:

Day #9

Summary of the day:

Pretty normal day, slept in a bit later than I wanted but I had a lot of energy once i got out of bed.  Made good progress and actually finished the algorithms lectures and assignment for this week.  Felt a bit bored at points throughout the day and wasn't sure what to do.  Got caught up on anime and finished my friend's book.  I enjoyed reading so I might try to find another book to read.  I still need to exercise more.  The weather was really bad today so I didn't want to go outside.  I might try to put together some kind of exercise routine for when I'm stuck indoors.  It doesn't even really have to be exercise, it could be cleaning up around the house.  Just something to keep me moving for at least 30 minutes 5 days a week.

Good job on making progress! Boredom is fairly natural after you stop gaming. We need several hobbies and activities to fill in the huge void left by gaming and everything that comes with it. What kind of anime and books do you like? I found those two hobbies to be great as a replacement, but one need to be cautious of binge watching haha. 

Day #10

Daily reflection:

Hello! Today I made good progress on my algorithms work. I think tomorrow I will switch things up though and do some household chores first. Visited my young niece for a couple hours. She is very close to being able to walk. I hope I can see her walk soon.

Picked up a few much needed fruits and veggies from the store. Tried a new recipe, Turkish bulgur. Very simple, only need peppers, onions, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Quite tasty.

Had a good chat with my friend about his book. I definitely enjoyed reading it and I'd like to read more often. It's a great way to relax.

Woke up at 6:30 randomly? I'm setting my alarm for 8 just in case I need more sleep

Dumbbell exercises, household chores

1. My glasses

2. My breath

3. My mind

4. Friendship

5. Air conditioning!

19 hours ago, Marek said:

Good job on making progress! Boredom is fairly natural after you stop gaming. We need several hobbies and activities to fill in the huge void left by gaming and everything that comes with it. What kind of anime and books do you like? I found those two hobbies to be great as a replacement, but one need to be cautious of binge watching haha. 

For anime, I pretty much watch anything that has good ratings. Right now I am watching the 2001 Fruits Basket--very wholesome slice of life.

For books I haven't read anything in a while really, just getting back into it. I used to read a lot back in elementary school (fantasy/adventure.)

• Like 1

Nice, fantasy is one of my favorite genre too. I started reading a lot more now that I quit gaming, and it is a great hobby. I have just finished the third book from The Stormlight Archive and would highly recommend the series. I loved it, it was maybe too addicting at times but definetly something worth reading.

Day #11

Daily reflection:

Overall, a good day today.  I took a break from programming which I think was needed.  I'll probably try to take the weekends off.  Didn't feel like doing much today which I think was fine since it's a weekend.  The weather was gorgeous out so i took a walk early in the morning.  For some reason i got stressed later and started worrying about things that don't really matter right now.  I need to remind myself to take things 1 hour, 1 day at a time.  But I did get a lot of household stuff done today which is good.  Starting to make progress on cleaning my room.  Tomorrow I plan on doing laundry first thing and work on programming some more.

Sleep (Goal: 8 hours, 11:00 pm-7:00 am)

Good, keep changing my goals around...  I think 8 hours is the minimum for me to feel good throughout the day.  Need to set a consistent alarm now.

Walk, household chores

1. Water

2. Sunshine

3. Music

4. Colors

5. People

Edited by apatton090

Day #12

Daily reflection:

Not much going on today but it was a good day.  Got my laundry done early like I wanted, then ran a couple errands out of the house.  Weather was great so I exercised a fair bit more than normal.  I've also found that changing my environment helps with exercising in quarantine--I cleaned my room so there's more space to do body-weight exercises.  I also have my pull-up bar out and my dumbbells lying out.  Makes it a lot easier to randomly decide to get some reps in. 

Did a couple productive things but not much.  Worked on my music and drawing which was different and fun.  I've realized that I've been bored with music lately because I never challenge myself or try to learn something new.  I need to find things to be inspired by to challenge myself.  I never practice anymore like i used to.  if I want to get better I need to have some focused practice time instead of just random playing every now and then.  So I want to make sure to schedule some time to work on my music.   Going to a birthday party tomorrow which should be fun (just family.)

Got up at 7:15am, trying for 7:00am tomorrow

Run/Walk, Dumbbell exercises, Pull-up bar

1. My hands.

2. Music

3. Good weather

4. Birds!

5. Vegetables

• Like 1

2 hours ago, apatton090 said:

Day #12

Daily reflection:

Not much going on today but it was a good day.  Got my laundry done early like I wanted, then ran a couple errands out of the house.  Weather was great so I exercised a fair bit more than normal.  I've also found that changing my environment helps with exercising in quarantine--I cleaned my room so there's more space to do body-weight exercises.  I also have my pull-up bar out and my dumbbells lying out.  Makes it a lot easier to randomly decide to get some reps in. 

Did a couple productive things but not much.  Worked on my music and drawing which was different and fun.  I've realized that I've been bored with music lately because I never challenge myself or try to learn something new.  I need to find things to be inspired by to challenge myself.  I never practice anymore like i used to.  if I want to get better I need to have some focused practice time instead of just random playing every now and then.  So I want to make sure to schedule some time to work on my music.   Going to a birthday party tomorrow which should be fun (just family.)

Got up at 7:15am, trying for 7:00am tomorrow

Run/Walk, Dumbbell exercises, Pull-up bar

1. My hands.

2. Music

3. Good weather

4. Birds!

5. Vegetables

I think today was laundry day for many people. I was considering buying dumbbells. I don't see myself going to the gym for a while. 

• Like 1

Day #13

Daily reflection:

REALLY tired, so this will be quick:

Birthday party was fun.

Again, kind of a lazy day.  I'm going to set some deadlines for my house cleaning in preparation for my move next month.  June 1st is my first deadline.

Need to get some exercise tomorrow.

Got up at 7:00am!

Nothing in particular, kinda skipped today.  Maybe I need to set aside 1-2 times if I really want to do it every day, in case the first time gets filled.

• Like 1

I also got up at 7 today after waking up super late the past 3 weeks. I feel better and I'm starting to get tired earlier as well. Maybe this is a good thing.What is making you avoid exercise? I know the time commitment was killing me so I found an app that let me do a full workout in like 10-20 minutes. It's tough but good.

Day #14

Daily reflection:

I realized that it's hard to look at my computer screen at night because it's so bright.  I've re-enabled the flux app which I had installed on my computer so that it's less harsh at night.  I had it disabled before because I used to stay up all night gaming and it messed with the in-game colors.  Much more pleasant to look at now 🙂

Started the day with some new Algorithms lectures.  Not really sure what my approach should be to these still.  I think maybe I need to better define my goals for this course because i seem to be lacking some motivation and not really knowing what I want to do.  

Goals:

* Become a better programmer.

* Learn good programming practices

* Become a faster and more efficient programmer

Hopefully that helps.  I want to make sure I am taking the time to really learn and internalize the material as much as possible.  I should take my time with the assignments and make sure I am thinking holistically--what methodologies can I employ to make this code easy to read, fast, and efficient?  How can I design a simple and efficient solution to the problem, instead of just coding the first solution that comes to mind?

Other, non-nerd news: I've added another milestone in my move-out checklist (MOC) which is due June 1st.  Every day I will spend 1.5 hours on the MOC.  Today I went through some items I had already cleaned out from my room and sorted them into trash vs. keep/donate.  I will go through those items further starting tomorrow until everything is completely sorted--with the goal being Friday as the deadline and Sat/Sun as off days.  Then Monday I will begin what I have called "Closet Week", aka sorting through all the garbage in my closet 🙂

Got up at 7:00 am! (will continue until Monday, then might try to push back to 6:30 we'll see)

Today I took more breaks throughout the day to get up and do some quick exercises.  I kind of liked this format, especially since the weather was crappy today.

1. My friends

2. flux

3. My pull-up bar and dumbbells

4. My voice

5. My hands

Tomorrow will be the 15th day in a row I have gone without gaming.  Looking forward to it!

•  

38 minutes ago, BooksandTrees said:

I also got up at 7 today after waking up super late the past 3 weeks. I feel better and I'm starting to get tired earlier as well. Maybe this is a good thing.What is making you avoid exercise? I know the time commitment was killing me so I found an app that let me do a full workout in like 10-20 minutes. It's tough but good.

I think it part of it is the environment.  Having the pull-up bar and dumbbells now help.  But it's kind of weird to set aside a full 30 minutes to do indoor exercises.  I'd like to be able to get out of the house more and take a walk.

• Like 1

Day #15

Daily reflection:

Yay, 15 days without gaming! *pats self on back*

Today was actually a pretty good day! I woke up early (6 am) so I felt like I had a ton of time.  I managed to ace my programming assignment, which felt really good after all the work I put into it.  I spent a bit more time on the couch than I would have liked in the afternoon, but I think I made up for it later in the day.

Side note: I've been following this YouTube channel for the past couple of days and it's REALLY interesting.  He has this marble machine video with 140 million views and it's ABSOLUTELY insane.  Go check it out.  Anyway, his video on focus and productivity was really interesting and I've been thinking about a lot of the stuff that he said about dopamine levels and how that relates to gaming/porn/other stimulation.  He stopped listening to music and stopped checking messages on phone/computer/YouTube (to reduce dopamine levels) and made his goal to focus for the entire work day--he said this made him more productive.  Thoughts on this?

Anyway, like I said later in the day I got kind of sidetracked while trying to clean up my apartment but I think it was ultimately productive.  My task for today was to go through my shoes and decide which ones I wanted to keep/toss/donate.  What I ran into was that I wasn't sure what shoes I would really want to wear.  I've always hated dress shoes but for work they're kind of required, so I've been on this quest to find really comfortable dress shoes.  That led to me lurking on reddit looking at shoes, and then socks, and then all sorts of things and it kind of spiraled out of control.  But I think it was good because now I know about all different kinds of shoes like bluchers/derbys, bucks, balmorals/oxfords, brogues/wingtips, chelseas, chukkas/desert boots HOLY CRAP WHY ARE THERE SO MANY..... But yeah you get the idea.  Right now I only have one pair of dress shoes that I would realistically wear to work, so I'm thinking of getting another.

So I managed to spend over THREE HOURS learning about shoes, believe it or not.  Then I ate dinner went back at it.  This time I started looking at shirts / trousers which got me thinking about laundry.  I don't really think too hard about laundry because I live in an apartment and use a communal room.  But when I move I'll have access to my own washer and dryer, which should make things a lot easier.  Anyway I spent another three hours reading about laundry and how to wash/dry different types of clothing.  I think I have a much better idea now of how to take care of my clothes once I start buying new things.

Whew.  The time really flew by today.  Tomorrow I need to take some time to organize my thoughts a bit better, but the rough outline is to continue onto the next lecture and assignment for Week 4 and try to have at least an outline by Monday.  I probably need to spend more time on cleaning tomorrow to make sure I can get to closet stuff by Monday as well.  And a trip to the grocery store is also in order.  I'm not even working right now but I feel like I'm staying busy.  I don't know how working folks do it honestly...  And imagine having a kid on top of that!

ALSO my hair is absolutely killing me right now, I need to get a haircut pronto but nobody is open.

Got up at 6:00 am since I went to bed early last night.  It was great!

Went for a walk.  Trail was flooded so that was cool.

Things that I'm proud of

I'm thinking I want to experiment with this section.  Gratitude is great and all, but I'd like to maybe have some different prompts here to switch things up.  Let me know if you have any ideas.

1.  15 days of not gaming

2.  Perfect score on my programming assignment

3.  Waking up early

Edited by apatton090
  • Like 1