NEW VIDEO: I Quit MMOs and THIS Happened

Introducing myself

Hello, my name is Jose. I am a 35-year old gamer who's been toeing the line of gaming disorder basically since I remember. I have somehow for a long time managed to keep it under enough control that it's not created large enough pain to stop, I have a college degree, a good professional career and a loving wife.

However, lately, things have gotten worse and worse out of control. I am working remotely due to corona, and I basically can't stop playing Hearthstone, even during meetings at work, which I'm pretty sure is not completely unnoticed. I've gotten super competitive at it lately, getting to rank 1 legend, and it's becoming impossible to control.

My life at home has also been deteriorating more and more, since I just can't wait to be able to submerge myself into the game again and am struggling to find interest in anything else.

Yesterday, I actively decided to stop. I swallowed my pride and came clean to my wife about everything, and have today joined the Game Quitters program, looking forward (but also shitting my pants) to the journey.

Hello Jose! Welcome. It is good that you told your wife, i hope she will help you remember the healthy decision you've made. 

Give yourself a month or so and you will forget hearthstone! I also played it like crazy a few years ago, and today I don't even remember the names of the cards. 

If you channel your passion and hours into something else, your life will blossom. I wish you the best of luck.

Hey Jose, I can definitely relate. I also have a professional career and a partner. I feel that the more people I tell, the more support I receive. It also feels like a weight being lifted off me. I can finally apologize to some people for being absent. Most people are understanding and will forgive you immediately. 

Good day, Jose!

First, congrats on the rank 1 legend!

Secondly, I think it's time to disenchant all of your cards to be sure there's no going back. 😂 I'm gonna disenchant my golden deck too since uninstalling the game doesn't work for me. I'm curious, what was your wife's response?

Hoping you feel better til the end of your detox. 😄 

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:21 AM, obelix_mtg said:

Hello, my name is Jose. I am a 35-year old gamer who's been toeing the line of gaming disorder basically since I remember. I have somehow for a long time managed to keep it under enough control that it's not created large enough pain to stop, I have a college degree, a good professional career and a loving wife.

However, lately, things have gotten worse and worse out of control. I am working remotely due to corona, and I basically can't stop playing Hearthstone, even during meetings at work, which I'm pretty sure is not completely unnoticed. I've gotten super competitive at it lately, getting to rank 1 legend, and it's becoming impossible to control.

I just did a search for “hearthstone” on the forums and I can completely relate to your story.  I played Mtg competitively years ago and got sucked into hearthstone a couple years ago as a more accessible way to scratch that itch.  I never hit rank 1 legend (very impressive!) but I consistent hit legend in standard and wild every month, and recently started spending tons of hours watching streamers, scoping decklists on VS and Twitter, watching YouTube videos, and doing all of this while I was supposed to be working.  I also have a professional career, a wife, and now a newborn, and I was still sinking my time into hearthstone.  I’m also 35 like you!

How are you doing these days?  I’m on day 2 of Respawn and it would be cool to hear a success story from someone in your shoes.  It’s hard for me to quit because I craved the competition and the escape and felt like I put a lot of energy into improving my skills at the game, so it is hard to give up on that.  I can’t even imagine how hard it is once you’ve hit rank 1 legend!  

All the best and I hope you are well these days.