NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

9ko - The ongoing process ungamification of my life

9k0

Hi y'all!

Today is the start of my 90-day goal of 0% gaming. I've decided that gaming has ruined too much of my life already, and I'd like to make improvements to myself, and find fulfillment outside of the virtual world. Also, yeah, I know! A very convoluted title 😁

My journ(al)ey starts now, 30th of april 2020.

What happened today in my life:
To be honest, I woke up at 09:00, and got up and drank two cups of coffee. And decided to act upon my thoughts of quitting videogaming. After some googling, which we probs all have done ammirite😂, I found this community and decided that I will give this a go! But I have to admit that I am a bit skeptical of the effects of this, but I figured, why the f*** not 😛 I posted an introduction post earlier which explains my story in poor english and the narrative can hardly be called a narrative at all! I've also decided on some goals. And here they are:

Workout atleast 3 times a week over 90 days, that means 30 sessions.
0% gaming over 90 days then to find out if I can play a bit, or not at all(most likely the latter).
Meditation for 10 minutes everyday (that will be a total of 900 minutes over 90 days)
Do atleast 6 hours of school everyday. (Total 540 hours over 90 days)

Current goal progress:
Days without gaming: 1 / 90 days
Meditation: 0 / 900 minutes
School work: 0 / 540 hours

Final thoughts
I try to have a positive mindset towards everything in life, and in closing I wanna say that I can do this, but it'll be very hard! So please gimme your support! Or I'll cry 😢 Nah, I won't. But it'll be greatly appriciated! And also, tips for quitting would just make my day!

Also, heres the introduction post I made earlier: 

Thanks in advance, and much love

9ko

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 9k0 said:

I wanna say that I can do this, but it'll be very hard! So please gimme your support! Or I'll cry

Hey man and welcome here. My number one advice: Enjoy the process. This is not just about ungamifying your life, but upgrading it. What were you missing during gaming? What is your current ideal, who you will be in the future? Maybe this perception will change, maybe you find out new hobbies and passions on the way. Be open and don't bother too much about relapsing on the amount of days of not gaming. Relapse is your friend! Not your enemy.

6 hours ago, 9k0 said:

So please gimme your support! Or I'll cry 😢

I have found out that the best way to get support is by giving it. Maybe sometimes you give too much support, maybe sometimes you say something wrong. That happens, but this give and get thing is very rewarding and also a nice reflection of yourself. Good luck dude!

20 minutes ago, Alexanderle said:

I have found out that the best way to get support is by giving it

Yes! I totally agree, I've already looked at some other journals and given some encouraging words to the best of my ability! Better to say something wrong than say nothing at all 🙂!

20 minutes ago, Alexanderle said:

What were you missing during gaming? What is your current ideal, who you will be in the future?

I guess I wasn't really missing anything while gaming, but it was rather an escape from having to take responsibilty for school and personal affairs I reckon. I kinda have a high conscience and find it hard to turn down other who needs my help, or just say no to social events I don't really want to attend, therefore I used gaming to make sure I didn't get asked in the first place. I might have some commitment issues(huh, never even thought about that before! You learn something everyday). In the future I hope to be someone who contributes to people who are in need, that's also why I wanna specialize as a water and drainage engineer so that I one day purhaps could help building watersupplies for third world countries. It's a bit farfetched, but gotto have dreams I guess! Thanks for asking @Alexanderle! It means alot! 

edit: Typos

Edited by 9k0

@9k0 I don't really think that it is too farfetched. If that is your dream than this is perfect. We all should dream too big as long as we are not suffering regarding our current stance.

10 minutes ago, 9k0 said:

I kinda have a high conscience and find it hard to turn down other who needs my help, or just say no to social events I don't really want to attend, therefore I used gaming to make sure I didn't get asked in the first place.

So now you are feeling read to attend them or want to adress getting asked? Or is it a matter of being able to say no?

11 minutes ago, 9k0 said:

I wanna specialize as a water and drainage engineer

gg man. That's awesome!

5 minutes ago, Alexanderle said:

So now you are feeling read to attend them or want to adress getting asked? Or is it a matter of being able to say no?

It's a matter of being able to say no. I find it easy to put myself aside for others if it brings them enjoyment or pleasure. Which isn't necessairly a bad thing, if its balanced!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 9k0 said:

o I just deleted my steam profil with 180+ games! 

Well done. dude! I think that is a pretty important step.

31 minutes ago, 9k0 said:

Which isn't necessairly a bad thing, if its balanced!

Absolutely. Now with gaming out of the way, you can focus on your relationships and see, how it makes you feel, when something is not in balance. And I think, this is actually a super important aspect: 

33 minutes ago, 9k0 said:

I find it easy to put myself aside for others if it brings them enjoyment or pleasure.

Are you capable to put yourself aside to bring yourself enjoyment and pleasure. Not just in the sense of mindless browsing or brainwashed gaming. But actually in a way that you care for yourself, like you would take care of a person, you like spending time with. 

• Like 1

Awesome job man - good luck! Remember there will be hard days and that is when you will have to show your true character & resolve.

Try and recognise any triggers you may have (stress, boredom, etc.) and pay close attention to yourself in those moments. Perhaps plan ahead what you could do instead if you find yourself having a funky day. Don't beat yourself up too much in your weak moments, no one is perfect!

Either way - I'm sure you will rock it 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Havey said:

Awesome job man - good luck! Remember there will be hard days and that is when you will have to show your true character & resolve

Thanks man! Much appriciated and I will try to remember your words when the hard days eventually comes 🙂 

Hi y'all!

1st of may, 2020 - day 2

What happened today:
I got up at about 07:00 in the morning, but soon after I fell asleep on the couch waking up at 10:30! Which is no big deal, I made myself some breakfast and showered, then I procceded to work with school for about 2 hours before I had to leave for work. I work as a personal assistant for an disabled teenager, he wanted to play a bit, so I kinda sorta had to break my no gaming for 90 days at the 2nd day! But I guess since it was work related it can't really count, cause then I'll never be able to stop. Luckily I don't feel like it impacts my gaming addiction as his taste in games is VERY different than my own. Then I got home and continued to work for another couple of hours with school.

Days without gaming: 2 / 90 days
School work: 5 / 540 hours

Final thoughts
I had a great day, and I would like to say that I am grateful for my good friends and that I have good health. And I am very happy that even though I am in kind of predicament regarding my gaming and school issues I have a positive outlook on my future! So stay safe y'all.

Hi y'all!

Sorry for not posting on saturday and sunday, I was simple not able to, as I was visiting a friend who lives in Oslo

2nd of may, 2020 - day 3

I visited a friend of mine in Oslo, we ate some good food and drank a bit of wine before going to bed early. I didn't even think about videogaming and I believe the key is to keep busy. 

Current goal progress:
Days without gaming: 3 / 90 days
School work: 5 / 540 hours

Final thoughts
I am still trying hard to be grateful, and I gotto admit that I think things so far has been easier than I feared, except for making progress towards my meditation and school work goal!

Hi y'all!

I am just gonna post double for the days that I've missed so far 🙂

3rd of may, 2020 - day 3

I stayed the night at my friends place and we went for a really long hike the day after, we amassed 20.000 steps, and it took about 3-4 hours including stops for resting and rehydrating. After taking the train back to my place I was starving and treated myself to a really nice, juicy hamburger that would give even an elephant a heart attack! But I got away with a food coma that lasted from 2100 to 1300! This might screw up my sleeping pattern, but man was it worth it! And as you've probably noticed, I haven't even mentioned gaming, and that is because I feel no cravings and don't miss them at all. I really hope it'll be this easy for me, but I suspect that it will be very hard in the near future at some point, and I am prepared mentally.

Current goal progress:
Days without gaming: 4 / 90 days
School work: 5 / 540 hours

Final thoughts
After indulging myself with such a meaty gift I've decided that I want to eat healthy 6 days out of the week - I which I probably am very close to already as I love making food! 

• Like 2