NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Evenings

dirac

I think that is difficult to answer, since anyone is different. However, I belief, it is not so much about getting rid of the addiction or the habit of gaming, but focusing on more meaningful goals and habits, which make you feel good. I think the important questions are: Who do you want to be in the future? Who do you don't want to be? How will your environentlook like? Etc. But this might be sometimes to optimistic to ask for and takes time. Afterall, this is a long lasting process to figure that out and for yourself. Sometimes goals, beliefs and interests change.

So maybe a starting point is this: What kind of habits would you like to do in the evening that don't make you feel worse than before? Maybe make a list of them. What do you enjoy? And then decide to try one. But I have to say, for me it was always more intuitive approach. Just doing things! For instance, I amwatching orphan black right now and it is perfectly fine for me. I was quite productive today, have worked out, now I am chilling a bit. I know that working for university would not be really effective anymore at this time. (It is 10 pm where I live)  

But maybe another person would tell you to go for a walk, read a book, go to bed and don't use your smartphone anymore. Whatever it is. You need to probably experiment a bit.  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to establish a habit of getting off the computer in the evenings about 2 hours before bed.  This helps keep me from gaming and also gives me a bunch of things to do.  Here's my full bedtime routine at the moment:

• Reflection Journal - last thing before getting off the computer for the night is to post my daily reflection journal

The next things I do are what I consider "chores" or things that should be done before I start to relax and wind down for bed:

• Brush Teeth and Floss - Doing this 1-2 hours before bed helps because I'm not actually tired yet.  If I still have to brush my teeth when I'm dead tired it really sucks.
  • (Clean dishes) - If there are any dirty dishes in the sink, wash them.  Kind of like making your bed, it just makes the next day better.

Next, I pick some relaxing activities that help me wind down.  Right now all of these are on my phone, so I use the Twilight app to reduce the amount of blue light and also reduce my overall screen brightness.  At this point, most of the lights in the house are also off and my bed is made.  I tend to sit on the couch until I feel tired and then go straight to bed.

• (Read) - Still working on this one, but there are a few decent e-reader apps like ReadEra.
  • (Anime) - Watch a couple episodes of my current anime

Lastly, the most important thing:

• Sleep - When you're feeling tired, just go straight to bed.  Since you've already brushed your teeth and done whatever else you need to do for the next day, this should be easy.  I put my phone far away from my bed so I'm not tempted to grab it if I get restless.  I also use my phone for my alarm so I have to get out of bed to turn it off.  I recommend you try to wake up and fall asleep at roughly the same time each night, and follow your routine every single day, even on weekends.
    • My example: I wake up at 7:00am now.  Two weeks ago I was waking up at 1:00 pm.  I followed this routine of going to bed when I got tired and set my alarm for between 7 and 9 hours later (the average amount of sleep most people need.)  I found 7 was not enough so I went to 8 hours.  Now I get between 8 and 8.5 hours of sleep which seems good for me.  If I go to 9 hours I get groggy.  Anyway, I tried to move my morning alarm backwards by 15 minutes every day.  Eventually I made it to 7:00 am.  If you try to move it back too much, you'll just get tired during the day.  Short 10-15 minute naps or meditations can help.
    • Struggles: Don't eat anything 2 hours before bed.  This really screws you up.  In fact, if you eat something right after you wake up, this actually will tune your body in to waking up at that time.

Good luck!

• Like 1