NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Daily Journal

Havey

48 minutes ago, Havey said:

Last thing on my mind is my friends. I feel like I am losing a deep connection with most of my friends. I used to have many friends with best friends too. Now I feel like I just have friends. I'm not sure why, perhaps I need to put more effort in. One reason could be with the work I do on myself I notice bad influences around me a lot easier making me judgemental, perhaps I have too high standards and expectations on how people should behave. But certainly my social network has got worse, specifically when I met my SO and went from going out with mates a lot to a more mature lifestyle.

I am not sure, how old you are, but isn't it kind of normal to lose friends, not only due to getting older, maybe more mature? And also as result through distance? Like, I knew quite some people in my old university, but most of those friendships are gone. I have 3 good friends left. And isn't this more worth than a thousand shallow friendships? And right now, you are also going through some serious changes and are questioning certain things in your life. And you are asking about a purpose in your life etc. This will obviously change you. You are about to become a new person.

• Like 1

I was in a bit of a funk today and I couldn't put my finger on it. I think a lot of it stems from the virus situation and feeling isolated. Thankfully I still managed to complete all of my good habits although I did spend a lot of time browsing youtube/forums for no real reason, basically just to distract myself from how I was feeling. 

I'm sure its nothing a good night of sleep won't sort! 

Good habits - 9pm DD (4), Morning ritual (4), Learning (4), Exercise (4), Meditation (4), Italian lesson (4), Message a friend (4), To-Do list (4), Journal (4).

21 hours ago, Alexanderle said:

I am not sure, how old you are, but isn't it kind of normal to lose friends, not only due to getting older, maybe more mature? And also as result through distance? Like, I knew quite some people in my old university, but most of those friendships are gone. I have 3 good friends left. And isn't this more worth than a thousand shallow friendships? And right now, you are also going through some serious changes and are questioning certain things in your life. And you are asking about a purpose in your life etc. This will obviously change you. You are about to become a new person.

Yes I guess it is. But the feeling is more so from losing connection with my best friends, not just losing friends in general. But yes I agree, it seems my life is heading in a new unknown direction that is going to take me towards new friends and away from others. I guess I'm in a pondering phase of my life where I'm just trying to figure stuff out 🙂 

• Like 1

I'm officially in a funk. Not sure why exactly, just feeling rubbish and everything is an effort. Just got to keep on going until this thing turns around. Hopefully I will get some clarity on the matter soon... I am eating well, sleeping, exercising. Got the fundamentals down pretty good but clearly something is missing. Anyway, still managed to do all of my good habits, hoping for betters days tomorrow 🙂 

Good habits - 9pm DD (4), Morning ritual (4), Learning (4), Exercise (4), Meditation (4), Italian lesson (4), Message a friend (4), To-Do list (4), Journal (4).

Edited by Havey

Feeling better today! Man that stretch was difficult. Have a few ideas of the cause of that and thankfully managed to power through. I find it much more effective when I do my morning ritual when I first wake up rather than lying around being lazy. How you start the day is how you finish the day.

Not many thoughts other than that, just grateful to still be on the path and certainly brought about a more humble approach to my journey.

Good habits - 9pm DD (5), Morning ritual (5), Learning (5), Exercise (5), Meditation (5), Italian lesson (5), Message a friend (5), To-Do list (5), Journal (5).

Another good day today. The sun is back (wooo) and definitely feeling more productive in the mornings still. I have a few aches/pains in my body, I eat a predominantly vegan diet so hoping its not due to a deficiency of some kind. Probably due to over training more than anything else though!

Getting back into reading again slowly which is awesome. Currently reading Personal Development for Smart People - Steve Pavlina - great book so far. Could do better with my to do lists but other than that all habits going well 🙂 

Good habits - 9pm DD (6), Morning ritual (6), Learning (6), Exercise (6), Meditation (6), Italian lesson (6), Message a friend (6), Write To-Do list (6), Journal (6).

Alright day today! Nice and sunny out which is good. Took a day off from exercising to let my body recover. I've got a few health issues which are bothering me a bit but trying not to get too stressed out by it. Will go to the doctors to get it checked if necessary. I take a lot of care with my health and its not something I take for granted so hopefully its nothing to worry about. 

I am currently really productive in the morning however always by 2pmish I get quite tired and just want to chill. Currently my only focus is to keep doing my good habits and keep stacking up the improvements, however I know that I need to set some meaningful goals to work towards. Having specific goals/purposes has always been a weakness of mine so I have been kind of putting it to one side. At some point I will have to face this though and actually figure out a path to take.

Hope everyone is doing well in the lockdown. It can be tough.. remember to stay connected.

Big love!

•  
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Havey said:

I am currently really productive in the morning however always by 2pmish I get quite tired and just want to chill.

I was reading about how that is caused by our circadian rhythm and if you take a 20 minute nap (just before you begin to dream) it improves your day and you will get mor energy by 3pm and it lasts all day. I've been doing it for a week now and it has worked a lot. 

• Like 1

Short and sweet today. Had a nice bank holiday off - awesome weather and feeling good 🙂 Starting to get the hang of my morning routine and feeling the momentum of my habits. All habits done today. My To-Do list is the one that needs work. Currently I count it as done if I write a to do list (previously I didn't). Shortly that may have to change to having to complete the to do list or perhaps complete top 3 tasks etc. However I don't want to overstretch myself and I am happy with the progress I'm making so far.

Good habits - 9pm DD (5), Morning ritual (5), Learning (5), Exercise (5), Meditation (5), Italian lesson (5), Message a friend (5), To-Do list (5), Journal (5).

14 hours ago, BooksandTrees said:

I was reading about how that is caused by our circadian rhythm and if you take a 20 minute nap (just before you begin to dream) it improves your day and you will get mor energy by 3pm and it lasts all day. I've been doing it for a week now and it has worked a lot. 

14 hours ago, apatton090 said:

I also get tired around 2 or 3 pm... Come wake me up when "paid naptime" is a thing...

Haha yes boys I agree exactly. I do nap sometimes but I haven't got the immediately refreshing nap down to a T. Mostly I wake up a bit groggy still. But definitely something on my radar 🙂 

• Like 3

@Havey Good job on the progress! It is incredible how much our mood can be affected by weather. But this whole weekend should be lovely. A good To-Do list takes time to make and a lot of experimentation. One key advice I would recommend is to not overload it with too many things. Whenever I do that, I just tend to procrastinate the whole list, haha. On the topic of energy in the afternoon, how is your diet? I found that when I eat a lot of processed food and snacks, I tend to crash a lot throughout a day. 

• Like 1

Hi guys. Generally good day again today. Starting it off really well with my morning ritual helps me feel great in the early hours. I had a games night with my friends last night which was fun however I did not drink which allowed me to get better sleep and feel better today which I am grateful for. 

I do have some flat spots during the day in which my immediate instinct is to procrastinate. I also am avoiding some of the more important items on my to do list so something to keep monitoring. I feel much healthier and also happier which is awesome, and my habits are becoming more like clockwork the longer I stick to them. My initial goal will be 30 days so will be awesome if I can reach that.

I have a decision to make as to whether to keep my xbox to keep in touch with my friends or not. If I do keep it then when is it acceptable to play and when not etc. I would also enjoy being more productive with planning my future and some meaningful goals.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend 🙂 

Good habits - 9pm DD (6), Morning ritual (6), Reading (6), Exercise (6), Meditation (6), Italian lesson (6), Message a friend (6), To-Do list (6), Journal (6).

21 hours ago, Erik2.0 said:

To do lists are a good way to get things done. Welcome to the forums.

They are indeed! Thanks.

1 hour ago, Marek said:

@Havey Good job on the progress! It is incredible how much our mood can be affected by weather. But this whole weekend should be lovely. A good To-Do list takes time to make and a lot of experimentation. One key advice I would recommend is to not overload it with too many things. Whenever I do that, I just tend to procrastinate the whole list, haha. On the topic of energy in the afternoon, how is your diet? I found that when I eat a lot of processed food and snacks, I tend to crash a lot throughout a day. 

Totally, sunshine makes us all feel much better. Definitely agree with the not overloading advice hence why I'm not too stressed about the things I mentioned to work on, more so in the observing phase whilst I solidify the habits. Diet is actually pretty healthy, I don't really snack to much on sugary food and eat mostly wholesome plant based food. However, I was ill quite a lot in my past life so it is understandable that it would take awhile to turn around. But generally I feel great - moreso the mental swings that do me in! haha.

13 hours ago, Havey said:

I have a decision to make as to whether to keep my xbox to keep in touch with my friends or not. If I do keep it then when is it acceptable to play and when not etc. I would also enjoy being more productive with planning my future and some meaningful goals.

I guess this comes down to every individual. Will you be able to play in moderation? Will you be able to play only with friends and enjoy it more as a social event than just waste time gaming on your own? For me, personally I have learned the hard way that moderation does not work for me at all. I did not have to get rid of any consoles, but I would probably try to do it. The hardest thing for me was to delete my LoL account, but it was the best decision I could have made. If I did not, there is a high chance I would be playing now during this lockdown. I was tempted several times and was close to consider it, especially in the beginning when friends asked me if I want to play with them. However, not having my old account helped tremendously to stay away.  

13 hours ago, Havey said:

However, I was ill quite a lot in my past life so it is understandable that it would take awhile to turn around. But generally I feel great - moreso the mental swings that do me in! haha.

I see. Well, in that case things will get brighter, they just need more time 🙂. Also good job on getting almost halfway to your 30 day goal! 

• Like 1

Man I am shattered today! Whenever I seem to play xbox with friends I struggle to fall asleep because my brain is too stimulated. As a result I'm pretty tired today, probably also because I ran a fast 5km so I'm ready for bed already lol.

I have some serious decisions to make regarding my bad habits. It seems I currently have 3:

1) Playing xbox with friends

2) Media

3) Mindless browsing

I try to stay away from 2 and 3 but sometimes slip up, especially when tired. Xbox is a big one... I did stop for a week but felt pretty isolated with the virus situation so started up again and feel better to be connected. I do acknowledge that it is probably a rationalisation though and especially on the weekends can abuse that rule...

In good news I stuck to all my habits again, coming along nicely and its nice to get these done even on the bad days. 

Sorry if this post doesn't read well I'm knackered! Hope everyone is well :) 

Good habits - Weekday DD (7), Morning ritual (7), Reading (7), Exercise (7), Meditation (7), Italian lesson (7), Message a friend (7), To-Do list (7), Journal (7).

Evening everyone. I seemed to have slipped into bad technology habits again... I play xbox with friends but also end up mindlessly browsing on forums, youtube or just random media. It really has a negative effect on me and need to nip it in the bud.

I'm not quite sure how to deal with the bad habits I mentioned above but being conscious of it is a good start. 

Fortunately I have stuck with all of my good habits!

Good habits - Weekday DD (8), Morning ritual (8), Reading (8), Exercise (8), Meditation (8), Italian lesson (8), Message a friend (8), To-Do list (8), Journal (8).

On 5/10/2020 at 7:26 AM, Marek said:

I guess this comes down to every individual. Will you be able to play in moderation? Will you be able to play only with friends and enjoy it more as a social event than just waste time gaming on your own? For me, personally I have learned the hard way that moderation does not work for me at all. I did not have to get rid of any consoles, but I would probably try to do it. The hardest thing for me was to delete my LoL account, but it was the best decision I could have made. If I did not, there is a high chance I would be playing now during this lockdown. I was tempted several times and was close to consider it, especially in the beginning when friends asked me if I want to play with them. However, not having my old account helped tremendously to stay away.  

I see. Well, in that case things will get brighter, they just need more time 🙂. Also good job on getting almost halfway to your 30 day goal! 

Hi Marek sorry I completely forgot to reply to you yesterday. I'm also in the camp of moderation never normally works for me, but for this lockdown I currently feel that being able to connect with my real life friends is providing more positive than the games are negatives, as long as I am staying productive. Once the lockdown is over I will look to sell my xbox and work on the other two remaining bad habits. In the last few days I have noticed my tech habits worsening though so this is something under constant consideration...

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement, I appreciate it! 🙂 

@Havey That is fair. If you can only play with your friends and then not play on your own time, it should be fine. Just be aware to not let it get out of control, which can happen easier than we think. Those bad habits are like weeds. It might seem somewhat innocent but can easily steal you of several hours of your time. What helped me the most against mindless browsing is to track my time in the day. When I saw that I have spent 6 hours in one day just mindlessly browsing the internet, I was horrified. Now I am trying to stop it as soon notice doing it. Being conscious about it is definitely a good step forward.  

No worries, mate. I was not much around in the last few days, anyway. 

Short one again today. Losing a bit of momentum with this journalling. Have noticed my bad habits are creeping in again.  Fortunately I have stuck with all of my good habits so far which I am happy with. But need to look as to why I've losing focus. It feels with technology there are so many ways to distract yourself and procrastinate its hard to keep tabs with it all.

In positive news I am happy with how my exercise is going... getting pretty fast now at running and also started a pull ups/push ups/abs regime. 

Good habits - Weekday DD (9), Morning ritual (9), Reading (9), Exercise (9), Meditation (9), Italian lesson (9), Message a friend (9), To-Do list (9), Journal (9).

In regards to technology, one thing I have done is disable all notifications on my phone that are not call, text, calendar, or alarm. That way I am only checking email / Facebook / etc when I set aside time for it, and not when I randomly get pinged.

• Like 1

Today I put the blocks back on my phone and laptop... I was just being too unproductive. Still decided on the xbox, happy to be still connected with my friends though. Thankfully still sticking with all of my good habits 🙂

Good habits - Weekday DD (10), Morning ritual (10), Reading (10), Exercise (10), Meditation (10), Italian lesson (10), Message a friend (10), To-Do list (10), Journal (10).

17 hours ago, apatton090 said:

In regards to technology, one thing I have done is disable all notifications on my phone that are not call, text, calendar, or alarm. That way I am only checking email / Facebook / etc when I set aside time for it, and not when I randomly get pinged.

Yes agreed! Turning notifications off definitely helps.