NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hello, just started, need help.

Hello everyone:

I'm 39 years old, have a wife and son, I'm a surgeon and urologist living in Mexico City and I've been a gamer since I was 4 years old, my very first console was an Intelevision and I loved Shark Shark. I have gone through pretty much every console to date: NES, SuperNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, WiiU, Switch, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, Xbox One, PC I've done it all.

I'm on mental therapy with a psychiatrist, I suffer from AHD and cronic depression and take medications for it. My doctor recently shared with me that I have a gaming addiction which I wasn't aware off, I haven't found any experts in Mexico that deal with his kind of problem. I've done my own research and decided to stop it. 

I just managed to go a day and a half without gaming, I have rejected gaming invites, but I'm starting to sweat a lot, I can't stop moving my legs, I dunno what to do. I need help. That's why I got my subscription. 

I don't know where to start, one would think that being a doctor will allow me to have a better aproach but it has not. 

Thank you for reading.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I don't know where to start, one would think that being a doctor will allow me to have a better aproach but it has not

First of all, welcome to the forum. Just because I am pursuing a career in psychology does not mean that I should be the leading doctor in a surgery. ^^
I think that you should start with your own journal in the journal section. It can be very useful to write down the things, which are going through your mind. Also your wishes, dreams and desires. Overall, most of the successful members here are pursuing a positive psychology approach, where they don't just try to get rid of games, but instead are trying to optimize their lives more generally speaking. For instance, finding other things, which can give their lives some purpose and meaning, may it be working out, creative crafts or learning something new. I recommend that you focus on your identity: Who are you right now and who you want to become. Good luck with that. Everyone is very kind and open here and will be interested in what you have to say. 🙂 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum from my side, too. What Alexanderle said is very right. Just quitting gaming won't get you anywhere. I also think you are at the right place here. You seem to go through severe withdrawal symptoms, probably more severe than I ever experienced and it's understandable that you feel overwhelmed as you've just found out. This means that I will hold back with tips for the moment as I am far from being an expert. Still, it's great that you take responsibility for yourself and your loved ones by quitting games and that you have professional help. I am convinced you will make it.

• Like 1

captain and Alexanderie:
Thank you both for your words and encouragement. 
It’s been hard, mostly because Covid-19 has restricted all activity so I can’t leave the house.
Still sweating, grumpy and very irritable. In 3 years I never yelled at my son which I did today. Same goes for my wife.

Gave some video consultations but felt anxious and just wanting it to end, not common for me.

I guess what they say it’s true, you don’t know you’re an addict until you try to quit.

thanks for reading, hope you are doing much better than me 😄

12 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I guess what they say it’s true, you don’t know you’re an addict until you try to quit.

There is some truth for that. But it means that you are not a victim of your addiction. First of all, it makes you conscious. Conscious of yourself, your strengths and more importantly, your limitations and weaknesses. Those are things, we don't like to think about very much, so we are trying to ignore them and instead forget about yourself doing things like smoking, drinking or maybe gaming. And this is also a chance to really think about yourself and tackle those issues. But of course, the corona situation is not helping either.

12 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Covid-19 has restricted all activity so I can’t leave the house.

Are there things to do, you maybe could do instead inside?

It is certainly an added challenge, being on lockdown, but now is the perfect time to try out some hobbies you've always wanted to! I tripled down on my music studies and take classes pretty much all morning. It's like being in school again but it's something I actually want to learn.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, The Doctor said:

Pretty accurate. I am also a recovering alcoholic and what I learned from 2 years of being in that community is that nobody admits they're an alcoholic until they decide to quit. They might know, on some level, but admitting it means you have to make a choice: fix it or give up. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Doctor,

As another middle-aged professional with a family and job, I feel I can relate to you as well. I also just started this program and feel twitchy and eyes watery all the time. I don't have any suggestions or solutions for you, just encouragement that addiction is in some ways a choice and we can therefore cure ourselves.