NEW VIDEO: Has gaming disorder been cancelled!?

Sign in to follow this  
LordFederickRamsay

Looking for statistics on gaming addiction

Hi,

Is there an area of the forum where I can browse through statistics associated with gaming addiction? I'd like to have more understanding of how prevalent and big the problem actually is and would like to be able to substantiate what I'm saying when in conversation with people about gaming addiction. 

A stat that I've recently seen on the forum is that amidst the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, gaming usage is up 75%. Stuff like this! Thanks! And also, statistics that show how good it is for those addicted to games to quit. 

I'm aware I could search it up but I fear there'd be a lot of conflicting sources. I trust Game Quitters' to provide unbiased statistics and facts about universal gaming addiction. It'd actually be a cool idea for Cam or James to create a pamphlet or something along the lines of one that simplifies and provides concise stats on gaming addiction. Or like a thread which main post is added to and updated as time progresses with stats and facts. 

Edited by LordFederickRamsay

I looked throught the internet alot but did not find trustworthy numbers anywhere.

The problem with those statistics today is, that someone always profits from them.

Basic lesson in life btw.: If numbers presented on different news or statistic platforms differ by a not expected margin, they are fake.

The only thing you can do is make a small sample yourselve (like browse steam game time numbers and game player statistic sites for different games, browse google trends for a estimation of world wide internet usage etc (thou the overall statistics of internetusers released by google and mozilla etc are pretty accurate).

You then compare the whole group to a subset (like in your example addiction).

Taking arround 10 samples is enough to do a bad guess, 100 samples is a start, 1000 samples would count as study.

What my experience is, it depends on the game you are playing. There are arround 70% of mmorpg/online esport addicts (under the age of 17), but by far not that much addicts for singleplayer games (arround 10%-20% from 10 to 50 years combined). But thats only a wild guess, since I only took arround 50 samples.
The interresting thing is, there are fewer overall mmorpg players than X(could be indie game, triple a game) players. That says alot about game design.

EDIT:

I forget to define "Addict", who is someone who plays for a minimum of 3 hours a day.

Edited by creationlist

@LordFederickRamsay In order to get an impression regarding statistics of certain phenomena, it my opinion, the best thing you can do, is to check out peer reviewed literature. This is something, which is written by experts and checked by other experts. So there is often at least some scientific agreement. Just having one article often enables you to check out even more, since those articles usually base their claims by doing some literature reviews and citing more journal articles or books etc. This link alone gives you way more data, numbers and sources that you can read in one day. xD

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/30650499.pdf

Sometimes, you need student accounts or other stuff to read it fully, but already the abstract gives you more than enough. With just one article alone, you can now do something called the snowball method, where you check out on of the mentioned articles, which in turn also citedd several other ones. It tend to trust peer reviewed articles more than studies, which are done by single individuals.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:46 PM, creationlist said:

Basic lesson in life btw.: If numbers presented on different news or statistic platforms differ by a not expected margin, they are fake.

I have to disagree with this statement, since life is often more complicated and can offer several explanations. While numbers can be false of course, unexpected margins could also exist, because the different studies focused on different definitions of addicts, different sample sizes of gamers, different methods to measure something. 

I forget to define "Addict", who is someone who plays for a minimum of 3 hours a day.

This already starts with the definition of an addict. Just one example of the article, I posted: Lemmens et al. (2009) define video game addiction as an "excessive and compulsive use of computer or video games that results in social and/or emotional problems; despite these problems, the gamer is unable to control this excessive use." (Lemmens et al. 2009, p. 78)

If you make a quick literature check, I am sure, you will find different definitions in different articles. It does not mean that they are less reliable or factually wrong. 

(like browse steam game time numbers and game player statistic sites for different games, browse google trends for a estimation of world wide internet usage etc

This is also something, where it can get methodologically confusing. When I only look at the amount of hours, a person over the course of two weeks, am I really tracking the actual amount of time, a person plays a computer game? I sometimes had a game running on my computer without even being at home. I sometimes would have rocket league running, while actually working for university stuff. What counts as actual gaming? Am I gaming while being in the menu? Or chatting with a friend? Careful with those methods to track gaming.

This also becomes interesting, how @James Good came up with the numbers of this study. How where the constructs like optimism, appearance or psychological health assessed? People have different self measures for their level of being optimistic, appearance is subjective and I don't know, what psychological health actually is. I am not here to criticise the study I am even not interested regarding the study design, since I never really cared much about the numbers of people playing computer games overall. All I want to say is that it took me a matter of seconds to find reliable numbers that those numbers can be up to debate and that overall the topic is extremely complicated. Conducting your own "studies" requires way more effort than just checking out some steam statistics. That is all out of me. I don't want to turn this into a gigantic debate. You all are incredibly smart people. I am not here to offend anyone. Over and out. xD

• Like 1