Chin up, barbell row, dumbbell curl

• Like 1
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My name is Marek and I am a University student studying Virology and I am a game addict. I have been struggling with gaming for a long time. It started with World of Warcraft which was probably the fi

It is fascinating how our perspectives change over time. I remember that back, in the beginning, I was in a similar situation, and it was a lot more challenging to say no. Thus I was more excited abou

Day 215 Habits: Positive: (Meditation:163, Walk/Run:82*, Morning Workout:80, Floss:47) Learning: (Russian:121, Stats/Coding:2*, Project work:45*) Negative: (No gaming:204, N

Posted Images

Day 37

Get out of bed: 10:45

Ready to sleep: 00:35 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:37, Reading:23, Workout:19, Walk/Run:16, Intermittent fasting:13, Floss:7, Stretching:2)
  • Negative: (No gaming:27, No gaming videos:13, No snacks:2, No procrastination:2)

Yesterday was overall, a good day. I have spent most of it just reading, but I enjoyed that. Afterward, I have managed to do both of my morning and evening routines and other things I want to do daily, so that was good. I was hoping to do more work on my project, but I did not get enough time to do that, unfortunately. Considering I wrote my journal entry yesterday in the evening, there is not that much left to reflect on. 

The main thing I want to change to fight against instant gratification is to focus on all my work and tasks as the first thing in the morning. Once I am done, I will have guilt-free rest. If I do it the other way around, I tend to spend more time on nonpriority tasks. Then I need to catch up in the evening, which is not only inefficient but also stressful. 

@Erik2.0 Nice! are you doing stretching daily or just on rest days? That is something I am trying to incorporate more into my daily workouts because I have big gaps in flexibility, which I would like to fix. 

Thank you for reading and I will see you tomorow.

Marek

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Marek said:

The main thing I want to change to fight against instant gratification is to focus on all my work and tasks as the first thing in the morning. Once I am done, I will have guilt-free rest.

True words. A lot of things would be much easier, if they had some form of instant gratification "installed", just like video games.

Have you made experience with gratification, that you promise to yourself for completing a difficult (or small) task or after concentrating for 1 or 2 hours on a task?

Like, going for a little walk, enjoying a cup of good tea, calling a person and talk shortly about how you did your task or what you learned from it? Or even just a list of tasks, where you cross of things or put stickers on? A small gratification, that does reflect the task and  celebrates yourself a bit can be motivating - just like this journal.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Marek said:

The main thing I want to change to fight against instant gratification is to focus on all my work and tasks as the first thing in the morning. Once I am done, I will have guilt-free rest. If I do it the other way around, I tend to spend more time on nonpriority tasks. Then I need to catch up in the evening, which is not only inefficient but also stressful. 

I can really agree with this. At around 10 and 11 in the morning I peak drastically and get so much more stuff done than for instance at 5 pm. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Day 38

Get out of bed: 09:05

Ready to sleep: 00:35 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:38, Reading:24, Workout:20, Walk/Run:16, Intermittent fasting:14, Floss:8, Stretching:3)
  • Negative: (No gaming:28, No gaming videos:14, No snacks:3, No procrastination:3)

I have dedicated my Sundays to only relax and then some planning for the week later on in the evening. I made all my daily habits, had a great workout, and then I spent most of my time reading. I have ordered more resistance bands for working out, and I want to keep doing workouts with them even after lockdown. I am still getting used to the difference between them and free weights, but it seems that most exercises have a band alternative. I love the freedom of it, though. I can work home, or I can go outside and workout in a park or wherever I travel. I have finished the second book and started Oathbringer, I am glad that the book has even more pages than the previous ones. I am pretty sure that in the past, I would find a book with over 1000 pages intimidating though haha.  

@remember115 That would for sure be lovely. That is what I am trying to do now and I mainly I want to reach a point that even when I am just home I can control myself enough to schedule my day properly that way I distinguish time for work and for free time/fun. The hardest part is usually just to start once I get going, it gets tremendously easier.

@Erik2.0 I like to do a more dynamic stretching/ warm up before exercise and then static one usually after exercise or later in the day. The more convenient it will be for you, the better. I would say that the time of stretching is a bit overrated nowadays. Sure there are some benefits on when you do it but overall just doing it often will have a bigger overall benefit.

@Alexanderle Also I feel like this way I have more of a control over my life. I want to do things on my own terms and my time instead of being forced to do things just because of the stress produced by upcoming deadline. 

Thank you for reading and I will see you tomorrow.

Marek

Edited by Marek
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

Day 39

Get out of bed: 07:05

Ready to sleep: 00:10 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:39, Reading:25, Workout:21, Walk/Run:17, Intermittent fasting:15, Floss:9, Stretching:4)
  • Negative: (No gaming:29, No gaming videos:15, No snacks:4, No procrastination:4)

A late entry today. I started writing it in the early morning as I usually do but I just procrastinated it today to be honest. Yesterday was a good day overall. I had an amazing workout and went for a run afterwards. What made my mood the most, however; was that I bought a delicious watermelon. It sounds kind of dumb but I run past a fresh food market where they had it and I just got really excited. The groceries where I usually shop do not sell watermelons, I think, or at least I have bought none in a long time.  I am going to keep it short, I want to get to bed slightly earlier and I want to read a bit as well.

Marek

Edited by Marek
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Day 40

Get out of bed: 07:00

Ready to sleep: 01:10 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:40, Reading:26, Workout:21, Walk/Run:17, Intermittent fasting:16, Floss:10, Stretching:5)
  • Negative: (No gaming:30, No gaming videos:16, No snacks:5, No procrastination:0)

Even though I did a lot of work and studying, it was not related to my project and was just a form of procrastination. What makes it so difficult these days is that I do not have any actual deadline or anything that I need to follow. However, I want to do more and want to keep moving forward with it of my own volition. My discipline has gotten better over the last few weeks, and I am even able to get out of bed early, which was almost impossible a month ago. Maybe it will take some more time, but I shall see.

On the other hand, I have spent most of my time learning more stuff about nutrition and exercise. I am thrilled with the current workout and meal plan that I have created, and it seems to be working well. I cooked a delicious dinner, chicken salad/stir fry. Way too simple for how good it was, haha. I am surprised how much I enjoy the workout with bands, and it is impressive that you can imitate almost all free weights exercises with it. I had a rest day yesterday but still did my stretching, of which I am proud because I usually just skipped it. I am thinking about setting some flexibility goals so that I have something to work towards. Still, I am not exactly sure what would be a good, yet achievable one right now. The one I would like o achieve is to be able to touch my toes comfortably, I can do it now, but it is nowhere near comfortable haha. 

@Erik2.0 They definitely are! I would recommend using them in smoothies too. They add delicious yet subtle flavor to it.

Marek

IMG_20200506_083951.jpg

Edited by Marek
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Day 41 & 42

Get out of bed: 06:55

Ready to sleep: 00:10 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:42, Reading:28, Workout:21, Walk/Run:17, Intermittent fasting:18, Floss:12, Stretching:5)
  • Negative: (No gaming:32, No gaming videos:18, No snacks:7, No procrastination:0)

Priority work time: 00:00:00

The last two days were kinda rough. I have done nowhere near as much as I wanted to. I did not even work out. Instead, I just kept going back and forth with different forms of procrastination. I had enough! I started to track all of my daily time, and to realize that I have spent more than 6 hours of my day just mindlessly browsing the internet made me furious. No wonder that when I want to focus on priority tasks in the day, there is not enough time. Reward after work, not the other way around! So I have decided to add "Priority work time" to my journal as a form of accountability measure. Currently, it is at zero because, as I said, I did shit all yesterday. Tomorrow it will be more than just zeroes! 

On a more positive note, this journey is an excellent example that things need time. Now I am much better at going to bed early and waking up early. I have not played games or watched gaming videos, and I am not even interested, to be honest. I feel a lot more passionate about different things and excited to try new stuff. Right now, I would like to try horse riding, haha. That is probably the fantasy me speaking, though. The highlight of yesterday was over a two-hour call with a great friend of mine. We usually call for a really long time, but now I felt that there were so many more exciting things that I wanted to talk about. Also, I have a lot more new knowledge and ideas to talk about as I replaced gaming with documentaries. I always loved deep conversations, and I rarely run out of things to talk about; I usually talk too much. But noticing the influx of new information was heartwarming. All the gaming knowledge I had was virtually useless in most conversations and only took space. I am incredibly thankful that I made the first step forty-two days ago and decided to get onto this journey.

@Erik2.0 Thanks! It was delicious. I am feeling so much better now that I focus on whole foods instead of processed ones. I used to eat loads os frozen pizza. It was just easy and convenient, which is something that chimp me loves. But in my war against instant gratification, it feels incredible to prepare healthy and delicious foods instead of taking the easy route. Although funnily enough, it does not take much more time than the pizza, a bit more effort, true. However, the reward after the work is always more savory. 

Marek

Edited by Marek
  • Like 2

Congrats on one month no games. You're doing well keep it up. It's good that you're eating healthier now. Pizza taste good, but I'm pretty sure it's fattening and not that healthy. 2 hours is a long call. I remember hearing Cam say to watch documentaries and you'll have more to talk about. I couldn't really get into them. They always made me feel like I was too exuberant about the topic all of a sudden. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Erik2.0 said:

Congrats on one month no games. You're doing well keep it up. It's good that you're eating healthier now. Pizza taste good, but I'm pretty sure it's fattening and not that healthy. 2 hours is a long call. I remember hearing Cam say to watch documentaries and you'll have more to talk about. I couldn't really get into them. They always made me feel like I was too exuberant about the topic all of a sudden. 

What is bad about being exuberant? 😛 I guess it does happen to me too, but I feel like I get like that about anything that I do, haha. I presume we need to be more aware of the things we watch then, but otherwise, I like the idea of learning more about new things. It is haha. Although we used to call that long even when I was gaming, it is good to have new topics to talk about. Thanks, buddy! There are definitely healthier alternatives, haha. I am glad that I made progress with many things. Still, I am currently struggling with procrastination and honesty, which seems like the greatest challenge yet. 

• Like 1

Day 43

Get out of bed: 07:55

Ready to sleep: 23:40 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:43, Reading:29, Workout:21, Walk/Run:17, Intermittent fasting:19, Floss:12, Stretching:5)
  • Negative: (No gaming:33, No gaming videos:19, No snacks:8, No procrastination:0)

I am feeling ashamed of myself. I was so sure that I was going to do better yesterday, but I ended up not doing any work. I did not even go for a run or did a workout. I have overloaded myself in the morning, and from that point, I just procrastinated everything. I am glad that I chose reading instead of mindless browsing of the internet as my escape but still. I felt terrible at the end of the day because I knew I said that I would do work and then show it here, but I failed to deliver on my word. I think the worst part is that I was thinking of so many ways to excuse myself ... I did not feel good in the morning, so I did not do work, etc. ... or some other dumb excuse to protect my ego. The more I think about it, the more horrified I am. I was always aware of the petty lies and excuses I used so that I could spend more time gaming or avoid responsibilities that I have postponed because of it. However, this needs to stop if I want to recover fully. Hell, I am lying the most to myself. A lot of times I do meaningless work and then pat myself on the back for this procrastination. It does create a pleasing illusion on the outside for people to see; it makes me looking doing real well, but in reality, it is devouring me from inside. It is a bitter pill to swallow, but I needed to share for which I am thankful to you guys and this forum.  

Thank you for reading, and I will see you tomorrow.

Marek

• Like 1

Day 44 - 46

Get out of bed: 06:30

Ready to sleep: 23:30 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:46, Reading:32, Workout:22, Walk/Run:18, Intermittent fasting:22, Floss:14, Stretching:7)
  • Negative: (No gaming:36, No gaming videos:22, No snacks:11, No procrastination:0)

The last three days were pretty awful. I did not any do any work that I wanted to. So much for me trying to be more accountable, all I did was avoid journaling because I felt ashamed that I did not follow through with what I have said. On top of that, I did not even workout on Sunday and Monday. I have spent most of my time reading; although I like it, I am starting to think that I need to be more aware of the things I do. If I start reading in the morning, I tend to just keep on reading while avoiding other things. I am not even sure why I am continually looking for escapes like this. Do not get me wrong, it is nowhere as destructive as gaming. What terrifies me, though, is that I still feel myself stirring toward the easy path. The path of quick pleasure with no long term objective. 

In retrospect, now that I think about the last few days, they were not as black and white as I painted them. I wish I would be more regular with my workout routine, at least. I am thankful that I wake up in the early hours without too much trouble. My sleep schedule feels perfect right now. Yesterday I was thinking how it would be different if I was still gaming during this lockdown. I believe that it would probably felt really good at the moment, but beyond that, I saw that destruction it would have wrecked on me if I did. In that scenario, I would not have made any progress I did over the last month. My sleep schedule would be a mess, I would probably sustain myself of pizza, and other instant food and I would work out very little if at all.

I can also see that if things were to change and I could go work in the lab again, I could be tremendously more productive than my past self, who was not even able to get out of bed on time. My biggest issue right now is self-discipline. I struggle to find the motivation to do the work and not procrastinate. Still, I can see the progress that I have made during my time without gaming, and I know I would not be able to do it without some motivation or discipline. Thus, I know it is there. I just need to channel it in the right direction now.

@Erik2.0 Thank you for your kind words, my friend! Hearing this helped me a lot. I appreciate it.  

Marek

You're welcome. It's good to see you on your journey. I had a close call yesterday when I ended up sitting in front of my old gaming laptop for a while. It was too triggering for me to deal with and I'll do my best not to do that again. Still I remembered to stay committed to quitting gaming and do other things which helped.

• Like 1

Day 47

Get out of bed: 06:15

Ready to sleep: 23:35 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:47, Reading:33, Workout:23, Walk/Run:19, Intermittent fasting:23, Floss:15, Stretching:8)
  • Negative: (No gaming:37, No gaming videos:23, No snacks:12, No procrastination:0)

Priority work time: 00:50:00

Yesterday turned out reasonably well. I have not done as much work as I hoped for, but I did a little, which is a start, a small step forward. I spent several hours reading again, which took the majority of my day, but I have finished the third book of The Stormlight Archive. The series is marvelous and a bit too addicting as well, haha. But I enjoyed it greatly. The next book should come out in fall this year. It is impressive how Sanderson can write these 1000+ page masterpieces in such short periods. Hopefully, by then, I will be able to manage my time better around work & rewards. I only did a little quick workout yesterday but still better than nothing and went for a run in the evening, which was alright. I want to go back to morning runs again. I think I enjoy them more plus there are only a few people outside, so everything seems so much more peaceful. 

@Erik2.0 Good job on realizing the trigger and not acting upon it! It does help to realize all the things we achieved because we are not gaming anymore. Btw, I remember you mentioning back that you did not enjoy The Oathbringer as much as the previous books from the series. Why was that? 

Marek

• Like 1

I uh....I enjoy oath bringer and all of sander sons works. I just have developed some sort of mental or physical block to being able to read his work anymore. Any fiction as a matter of fact doesn't work for me anymore. I just get, I guess you could say, really anxious. I get like this with a lot of things in life now. I don't know if it was my medication or what that caused it, but around the time I stopped gaming I just became unable to do most things. My life is pretty limited as a result and I struggle to find tv shows that I can handle watching. I still have oath bringer, but I'll probably never read it unless my symptoms go away some day. I used to want to write fantasy. It's kind of sad. But it's okay. Life goes on. Even if I live in a little circle of what life is I still get to live. And I have it a lot better than most people do.

Congrats to you on finishing it. Those books are huge. And yes, maybe a little too addicting.

Edited by Erik2.0
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Day 48

Get out of bed: 06:10

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:48, Reading:33, Workout:23, Walk/Run:20, Intermittent fasting:24, Floss:15, Stretching:9)
  • Negative: (No gaming:38, No gaming videos:24, No snacks:13, No procrastination:1)

Priority work time: 01:15:00

Yesterday was alright day. I went for a long run and cooked delicious meal for dinner. I did a little bit of work too. However, it still took me quite a while to get moving in the morning, which is a pity because I wake up really early now and then waste a lot of time. But I am slowly working on it. I realized that if I am no longer a gamer, I am a morning person, I can stop being a procrastinator. It is one of those labels that, at times, I wore a badge of honor. Just a justification for making myself feel better. Yeah, it is cool to crunch work at the last minute and still do well, but it brings more harm than good. The nearing deadline creates too much stress, and most of my work could be so much better if I invested more time into it than just the bare minimum I usually do driven by the fear of approaching deadline. Moreover, most of this destructive behavior came hand in hand with gaming. Now that I have slain that dragon, it is time to face the other one as well. 

@Erik2.0 Oh, I see. I am sorry to hear that, but I am sure it will get better. Also, I think everyone has moments when we enjoy different things at times, so I do not believe it is anything you need to stress about. I can imagine it being frustrating though, I guess you just need to find other things that you will enjoy for the time being. I read it as an eBook, so I do not directly realize how huge it is, but I have seen some pictures. I remember looking at books with half the page count and thinking that it would take ages to get through, but I finished all three of them in a pretty short time. To be fair, I have read for several hours each day, haha. But I tend to do that with anything that I get hooked on, I just need to focus this energy on my work.

Marek

Edited by Marek
  • Like 1

Yeah, binge on productivity. Checkout https://gamingthesystem.transistor.fm/episodes/podcast-19-how-to-binge-on-productivity. They give some decent tips on how to stay productive. I'm giving myself little rewards for finishing small tasks each day now. It might help who knows? You've already got getting up early down, productivity incoming.

• Like 1

Day 49

Get out of bed: 06:10

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:49, Reading:33, Workout:23, Walk/Run:20, Intermittent fasting:25, Floss:15, Stretching:9)
  • Negative: (No gaming:39, No gaming videos:25, No snacks:14, No procrastination:2)

Priority work time: 01:09:43

Yesterday was an okay day. I did some work, which is useful as a step forward, but I did not do any form of exercise or stretching, which I am not happy about. I made some changes to my routines and want to try something different about productivity, so I will see how it goes. Otherwise, it was a relatively uneventful day. 

8 hours ago, Erik2.0 said:

Yeah, binge on productivity. Checkout https://gamingthesystem.transistor.fm/episodes/podcast-19-how-to-binge-on-productivity. They give some decent tips on how to stay productive. I'm giving myself little rewards for finishing small tasks each day now. It might help who knows? You've already got getting up early down, productivity incoming.

Thanks for the link! I will listen to it today. I have heard some of their podcasts, which are usually pretty helpful, so I am really excited to see this one on the exact topic I need! I am surprised I missed it before. What do you usually use as rewards? I do it sometimes, but I have one issue with rewards. I tend to do work, then reward myself, but after that, I end up binging on just the rewards. I know my self - control can be abysmal at times, haha. Thank you for the support, and you are right. I almost forgot, but just a few days ago, I was struggling to wake up, and now it is easy to get up around 6AM.

Marek

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Marek said:

now it is easy to get up around 6AM.

That's so early. I get up at like 845am. That must be awesome to have lots of time to do things with. I hope we get productive. I think it's more enjoyable to be productive most of the time than to veg on tv. Even though I veg some. 

Yes, I use giving myself a hug or a pat on the back as a reward. It's free and nice to yourself. I know it's not much of a reward, but I figure it's an improvement from no reward and just pushing myself to work.

• Like 1

Day 50

Get out of bed: 06:15

Ready to sleep: 23:20 

Habits:

• Positive: (Meditation:50, Reading:33, Workout:23, Walk/Run:21, Intermittent fasting:26, Floss:16, Stretching:10)
  • Negative: (No gaming:40, No gaming videos:26, No snacks:15, No procrastination:3)

Priority work time: 00:50:24

Wow, I am really proud I hit the 50-day milestone. I started Respawn a lot sooner than my journal, but I see this journal as a may way to track my progress. I guess I was always into tracking stats and streaks. However, it is liberating to be doing this in real life and not in games. I am surprised how much I fell in love with journaling. Sure, there are days that I do not enjoy it as much, but it is usually when I reflect on the most mundane days. The funny thing is that it is equally enjoyable to share my highs or my lows. One feels a bit like bragging while the other like complaining, yet they provide great relief. We as humans are very social, so it makes sense that sharing experiences is this important to us. 

I ran 6K yesterday in a pretty good time, which was awesome. I still had to slow down to walking pace to catch up my breath, but I feel it is getting better. I started doing more stretching, and I quickly found out several weaknesses that I need to work on. Especially my hamstring and calves are super tight. On top of that, I shifted my leg day workout to focus primarily on glutes because they are severely lacking strength. I was surprised that my hips are perfectly flexible, which I thought was the problem before, but now, after a lot more studying, I realized that its just body parts that are affected the most by constant sitting. Well, I need to work on my ankles too, they are terrible, but that's because of injuries, unfortunately. I did not do much work yesterday, though 😕. I did finish coloring another picture, which I think is better than the first one. This time I kept the colors natural, haha.

@Erik2.0 We will, my friend, we will. I like the fact that everything is pretty quiet at that time. I might try to push it even slightly earlier sometime in the future. Although I need to work on my bedtime, I think I should go to bed before 23:00. Especially if I go for a run and workout, I get fatigued in the afternoon. That's true, also too big of a reward stop me from working altogether, so they are counterintuitive for me 😅. Once again, thanks for the link to the podcast, I already do several of the things mentioned. Still, I especially liked the idea of making several tiers of Quests from one significant task and assigning rewards to it. 

Marek

IMG_20200515_160947.jpg

• Like 3