NEW PODCAST: Dealing with Gaming Nostalgia

Sign in to follow this  
lacazet

Entertainment ??

What is Entertainment?

From the dictionary:  The action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment: everyone just sits in front of the television for entertainment

So I guess it is subjective or are there things cast in stone, like gaming & movies, that are regarding as pure entertainment and nothing else?

How are you now entertained since you left gaming?

I still watch series, and while I would binge watch them after I first quit gaming, I know only watch one episode a day, while moving on my bike. I really like it.

I also like to read self-help books. I'm only reading my second but I enjoy it a lot. I guess fiction novels are entertainment, but what about those self-help books? Is it also subjective like the dictionary says? Everyone finds entertainment in something different.

Do we need Entertainment to function in life? What is the right balance?

There might be even some little things that might entertain us. But as we all are individuals, there are different things that entertain us in different circumstances and on different level. So yeah, I would say that entertainment is very subjective.

And I would say that yes, we need entertainment to function in life as it would be nerve-wracking and psychologically challenging to live without joy of entertainment, which, I believe, produces endorphins, so we become happy at some level. Entertainment is necessary to maintain balance from psychological point of view.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:47 AM, lacazet said:

How are you now entertained since you left gaming?

I get entertained by learning new things, growing my personality or just meeting friends for fun etc.

I entertain people by helping them out (I do repair cell phones at my spare time, or writing in this forum to improve my english etc.) or working at my hobby projects.

If you find something that includes meeting people (making music, crafting stuff etc.), or helping them out, you will see that you easily make bonds with people and meet them more often and have a great time with them. This is completely different to gaming.

The Entertainment for the broad masses was first introduced in Rome, when politics broke apart and people did go to the gladiator fights. Entertainment keept the society calm.
It's the same today. If you really want to understand entertainment and it's history you should look up the Kolosseum and it's history and Gladiators.

50 minutes ago, combatmatrix088 said:

And I would say that yes, we need entertainment to function in life

Indeed, beeing able to calm down and forget all the stuff arround you for a while helps alot.
However it does not need to be videogaming, where you spend your time. When you do understand how exhausting and pointless videogaming becomes when you do have other hobbies where you meed people.
But thats just becouse our world get slowly overpopulated and it's difficult to find a spot to retreat.

Edited by creationlist
  • Like 1