NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

A Worthy Path

Southern Northerner

Hey Human,

I'm going to be honest to myself here, something that can at times be incredibly difficult to do. My life is a mess right now: I am emotionally a wreak, I have no passion for anything, I am behind on my school work and I for all the progress I have made I find myself making just as much in the opposite direction.

I am on the path to changing that. Already I have quit gaming for at least 2 weeks, I have been slowly working at following a schedule as well as catching up on my school work. It hasn't been perfect so far, a lot of my time has gone towards watching pointless YouTube videos. But at least I'm trying and everyday I have small victories.

In the future I intend to write a lot more but right now I just wanted to get this started.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 1

Keep going on your path wherever it takes you and continue to aim for just small improvements everyday. Even if you don't follow your daily plan to a T do not give up on yourself. Just know that you are getting those small improvements and that over time it will become automatic for you. Thats what life is. Life is a process that never ends. You are constantly going to want to get better. You will never be fully satisfied. Sadly that is what many people think of. They think of the end goal. But we high achievers in life already know we will never hit perfect and that we will be working to be the best we can day after day. Anyways welcome to the community and if you ever need anything just ask and we will be there. Remember we all have your back in good times and the hard times.

10 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

Welcome to game Quitters. May this entry become a turning point in your life.

I love South Africa, you have given this world some extraordinary men of achievement.

Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Jordan2020 said:

Keep going on your path wherever it takes you and continue to aim for just small improvements everyday. Even if you don't follow your daily plan to a T do not give up on yourself. Just know that you are getting those small improvements and that over time it will become automatic for you. Thats what life is. Life is a process that never ends. You are constantly going to want to get better. You will never be fully satisfied. Sadly that is what many people think of. They think of the end goal. But we high achievers in life already know we will never hit perfect and that we will be working to be the best we can day after day. Anyways welcome to the community and if you ever need anything just ask and we will be there. Remember we all have your back in good times and the hard times.

Small improvements should be the gold standard for sure. Thank you for your wise words.

• Like 1

Day 001 of my journey,

Note: I haven't gamed for quite sometime; I did not count but I believe it's been about 14 days. My (Journey) counter counts my journey as a whole and not any specific aspect. It will not reset for the simple reason that it is not there to keep track of any streak rather it is mostly there to serve as a number for this journal.

My Day:

Today marks the first day that I have cut YouTube out of my life. And I have immediately realized how much of my life YouTube was consuming. I realize now that quitting gaming has yet to achieve my desired result because I allowed myself to replace one addictive habit with another. I live my life with zero motivation because I allow myself to be consumed by a dopamine high, that I find myself willing to get in any way possible; which leads into my next paragraph...

Experiment:

I have decided that I wish to execute an experiment, one with myself as the guinea pig. I will attempt to make my life as boring as possible, or at least what I would consider boring now. This might sound strange. Let me explain what I mean, I am going to be: slowing down my life, removing distractions and avoiding instant gratification as much as I can. We live in a modern world of smart phones, social media, video games, near infinite amounts of entertainment, companies that exploit our psychology, etc. I want to see what happens when I go back to the basics. I want to be able to enjoy the simplest part of life, perhaps this experiment is a way to get there. The first steps are already underway: getting rid of gaming and YouTube. But there is so much more. My phone. I admittedly am a bit attached to it. I want to change my phone habits, so instead of always having it with me, replying to texts as they come and in general just having an instant gratification machine by my side; I want to replace that habit by the habit of putting it away during the day (With the exception of when I need it for important things) and only checking my phone once per day for a maximum of 15 minutes. That's it. No more. I've already made strides towards this goal, by having placed my phone out of sight the last few days but I've still managed to use it way more than I feel is healthy and way, way more than what my goal is. For now, these 3 goals are what I am going to be working on. But in the future I will need to make many more decisions / commitments (For the sake of going all out on this experiment) how much will I allow myself on the internet or rather I should define what I will allow myself to do on the internet.

In terms of what I hope to accomplish. I want to be able to find joy in the simple things of life and I also want to be able to not only stay motivated with my studies but I actually want to enjoy it.

Thanks you for reading. I wish you a great 24 hour period of time!

• Like 2

Dude! I'm from South Africa originally! My dad was born and raised in Cape Town. Whereabouts are you from?

Congrats and good luck on starting your journey. You won't regret it. I am also going through a messy divorce with YouTube. Incredible how much time it consumes. I completely agree with your experiment to make life as 'boring' as possible. The internet is full of time-wasting distractions... Lifetimes and lifetimes of media. I have installed some blockers on my PC and phone to help me with this. Let me know if you want some recommendations.

Keep us posted!

10 hours ago, Southern Northerner said:

Experiment:

I have decided that I wish to execute an experiment, one with myself as the guinea pig. I will attempt to make my life as boring as possible, or at least what I would consider boring now.

That is a really cool experiment. I have done a 10 day meditation retreat a few times. No phone, no books, no games... nothing. Not even talking for 10 days for it is a silent retreat. All you do is meditate. It is definitely true that after those 10 days, you get to experience and enjoy the little things a lot more. The hard part is to stay focused after the retreat because you easily get sucked in to all the entertainment and distractions this world has to offer. 

So to make life as "boring as possible" in day to day life is a really good idea. Thanks for sharing, I'll consider doing the same thing.

14 hours ago, Jordan2020 said:

Look into something called Kaizen mentallty which is small improvements each day but more in depth. It's how there are many super successful Japanese people.

Read up on it; and I love it. Thank you for sharing! The thing that I find interesting is that when I look at the positive changes that have happened in my life the past 6 months, almost every single change was a small improvement that grew with time. I'm defiantly going to be working on small improvements every single day!

8 hours ago, ElectroNugget said:

Dude! I'm from South Africa originally! My dad was born and raised in Cape Town. Whereabouts are you from?

Congrats and good luck on starting your journey. You won't regret it. I am also going through a messy divorce with YouTube. Incredible how much time it consumes. I completely agree with your experiment to make life as 'boring' as possible. The internet is full of time-wasting distractions... Lifetimes and lifetimes of media. I have installed some blockers on my PC and phone to help me with this. Let me know if you want some recommendations.

Keep us posted!

That's awesome mate! I am from Pretoria and still reside here. Thanks for the encouraging words!

4 hours ago, Tomas said:

That is a really cool experiment. I have done a 10 day meditation retreat a few times. No phone, no books, no games... nothing. Not even talking for 10 days for it is a silent retreat. All you do is meditate. It is definitely true that after those 10 days, you get to experience and enjoy the little things a lot more. The hard part is to stay focused after the retreat because you easily get sucked in to all the entertainment and distractions this world has to offer. 

So to make life as "boring as possible" in day to day life is a really good idea. Thanks for sharing, I'll consider doing the same thing.

That sounds like an amazing experience! I wish I had the means to do that at the moment (Mainly time). Maybe I could try a weekend of doing nothing but meditation and reflection.

Update:

It seems my hours of lying awake last night have produced many new ideas and have given me more clarity. Something I realized is that I struggle to read through entire articles or sections of text when searching for something online. That brought me to the realization that I need to train myself to stay patient and fully concentrate on one thing at a time. I read a lot of books but I generally read something along the lines of four at a time and I can go weeks in between reading certain books; simply because I become bored of the topic and then I usually have a sudden re-surge of interest a couple days or weeks later. I should train my brain to spread out that interest over a period of time.

I think this all originally came from a lack of self control with gaming. Because this is exactly what would happen with gaming. I would get a new game, play it for 10 hours a day for a week straight and then by the end of the week I would be completely bored of the game in fact playing the game quickly turned into just a grind to finish it rather than having fun. And I know it makes more sense to spread it out over a period of time because there where situations where I'd play a game with a friend, one whom I could only play with once a week and those games tended to never get boring, and in fact I would actually enjoy my time playing. And so obviously I no longer game; thus this no longer applies to that area of my life but I feel like this logic of spreading out an activity over a long period of time but consistently can be implemented in to so many areas of my life.

I hope what I wrote makes some sense, I have this well thought out idea in my head but I'm not sure how to put it into words.

Anyway, enjoy your day...  ...or night.

• Like 1

Same bro. I felt the exact same way before detoxing completely. Right now I don't want to game and it feels amazing. Use your time to accomplish big goals and dreams in real life instead of goals and dreams on a tv screen that after several hours you still feel unfulfilled.

• Like 1