NEW PODCAST: Dealing with Gaming Nostalgia

James Good

The Next Chapter

@AlexanderleThat's the issue though, I don't work hard. Or rather, not nearly as hard as I should be.

Maybe I'm overestimating how much work I'm actually able to do each day, and the stuff I am doing is a lot of work I've just convinced myself that I need to be doing more. I don't know.

You're right, that it's good to be analyzing it and figuring it out. However, the whole Corona thing doesn't really affect me. I've been working remotely for over a year and I don't get paid time off. With no savings and travel restrictions in place I'm pretty much stuck right where I am.

Even just acknowledging that I don't have the money to do is sending alarms through my brain telling me I'm not working hard enough and not doing enough. I hate it.

@James Good I think even if you think that you are currently doing poorly at your work, you are still doing a better job at it than 99% of people if they were chosen at random. I think there's some solace to be found in that at least. This is what makes me keep working on my business, even if I haven't seen any monetary results for several weeks. Knowing that I can do something well helps me push through some annoying things I'd rather not deal with.

I also think that unless you have some hidden passion that makes you stay up late at night (say that you shoot photographs two hours after work), keep doing what you're doing. I quit the military and my life turned into a compulsive stream-fest in a few weeks afterwards. So while I had a passion/addiction, I didn't have a plan. I even think everybody (including myself) would think that it would be okay to do that, if I just made enough money to support myself, but it wasn't. The rest is history.

Good luck, regardless of what decisions you decide to make.

6 hours ago, James Good said:

I don't work hard. Or rather, not nearly as hard as I should be.

@ceponatia was starting a thread in the forum on this very issue. So I think many people, including me feel that way. So what is enough? When I think of my exams. I try to read the articles, I am supposed to read before each lecture, I attend the lecture and then I sit for like one hour after the lecture and try to summarize everything and create flash cards. Is that enough? I think that in order to pass the exam and to even have a good grade, it is more than enough. But despite all the things I did, just in this very moment, I have this nagging feeling that it is not enough. And I have learned even in times, where I worked super hard, I always felt that it is not enough. I kinda always feel that way. 

6 hours ago, James Good said:

Maybe I'm overestimating how much work I'm actually able to do each day

I don't know that. This is, what you should figure out for yourself. Maybe it is fine to do a little bit less and use the energy on other areas. Or you feel that personally for you, it is very important to put even more energy in your work. That is also fine. This is always the usual quest: Should my life be about balance, where I address everything equally or do I have preferences and maybe to become very very good in certain areas. Like people, who become so obsessed with their health (maybe me) that they put more than enough discipline in this topic or other people, who like their work so much that they intend to climb the career latter. There is no right or wrong. It has to do with what we want our lifes to be.

Edited by Alexanderle
  • Like 1

I think you're overwhelming yourself and doing what I currently do, which is seeing too much of the forest before you see the trees.

That old phrase "You gotta see the forest through the trees" where you would generally be focusing on small things, but not get the big picture. 

I think you're looking at the big picture too much. You're packing lots of ideas on top of each other with everything you're doing. Break them down into legitimate work (this website) before the YouTube stuff or other private things. It's just organizing and prioritizing. You're doing what I was doing with my cartoons, books, studying, website design, podcast, YouTube, and working full time as an engineer.

You should have a set schedule so you can understand your hourly limitations and start to fit "TREES" into your hourly slots and not "FORESTS" so you don't get overwhelmed. Chop down some trees and you'll remove a forest eventually.

Also, just force yourself to work. The anxiety building inside of you is a mixture of knowing what you have to do, being afraid to just do it, and not having anyone over your shoulder making you do it. You have to do it. It's your job. Jump into it, do the smallest things first and let them distract you from your daily worries, then you'll forget about it and start doing bigger tasks. You're gonna be fine. You got this,

• Like 1

@BooksandTrees @Alexanderle Huh, actual advice that I don't hate.. Thanks haha! It coincides with what I realised last night as well - I don't think I've actually switched off from work in over a year. Even when I went on vacation to Turkey with my parents I took my laptop and was still thinking of work. When I go onto my laptop I check analytics and statistics, even though in reality checking them so often is just making me worried about the work I'm doing.

I'm only just realising this as I'm writing but that habit of constantly checking SEO positioning, analytics, sales and everything else every day is exactly the same as stepping on the scale twice a day and expecting things to change. Holy shit why hadn't I realised that before?

If I just focus on the things that I need to do, the actual tasks, then it's a) not actually that much work and b) should help me stop getting overwhelmed. Maybe I have one day a week where I focus on statistics/analytics and reporting, and then the other days I do everything else.

I'm definitely trying to do too much, but mostly because I have no system of organization or schedule. I've tried to use schedules before but that was when I was a dumbass university student, I think I should give it a go now. I also think I should take a leaf out of Cal Newport's book and say no to any work after 6pm. No e-mails, no messages, anything. 

I feel so much better than yesterday, thank you for helping me get a little bit of clarity.

I'm about to head off to Thai class so I can't write a full-fledged post just yet, but yeah. I'm optimistic, when yesterday I wanted to quit everything and change my career.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Never mind, Thai government has closed all schools so my lessons are cancelled until April. Ah well!

If anything I'm surprised that the decision wasn't made sooner. I guess the increase in cases in Thailand recently has spurred them into action again. In all fairness we were getting pretty comfortable in the country, no one was really taking it too seriously and honestly all the numbers were telling us that there wasn't much to worry about. Now people are starting to buy more food and essentials, places are closing, festivals and gatherings are being cancelled. Fortunately, the healthcare in Thailand is top-notch, and with the government being horribly corrupt and inept at most things perfectly reasonable and fair it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Day 19

>Game-free: 19 days
>Gaming videos: 19 days
>Social Media: 6 days 

Journal

After my mini-breakdown yesterday I'm feeling a lot more optimistic today (see above post). Over the last year I've allowed me work/life balance to blend seamlessly into one. I'm never switched off and relaxing, and at the same time I'm never quite fully switched on. The result is constant feeling of overwhelming busyness that I'm convincing myself is productive, while simultaneously worrying that I'm never doing enough work and causing me to feel anxious all the time.

How am I going to fix it? Not entirely sure yet. I know for a fact that I need:

• Stronger separation between working and non-working hours
  • A better schedule
  • Greater clarity on the exact tasks I need to do every day/week/month
  • Less busy work and non-essential tasks first thing in the morning and in the evening
  • More time out of the house, doing other activities for the sake of fun. I don't need to have a reason to do everything. Not every hobby needs to become profitable or have a goal or be a competition with myself.
  • More mindfulness work, self-reflection, meditation. Journaling on here has helped so much, especially since doing it every day.

Now, I'm not going to try and do all of this at once, that'd be way too much pressure and is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. I think for now I'm going to focus on better separation of working/non-working hours, and progressively build that into more of a schedule once I get an idea of how long each task takes me.

I've also had some ideas about how I can shift my work a little bit. While I love marketing, I wish I had more of my own thing going on. The regular income is nice, but the details of the job probably aren't what you'd expect. I won't go into it too much here but yeah, it's not working so great for me. However, I love Game Quitters and want to keep working on it, I just think the nature of my work needs to change slightly.

I think where my talents shine is some sort of consultation/strategist work, probably in the marketing space. I excel at ideas, creativity, teaching, and I think the shorter, more one-off relationships/deadlines would suit me. If I work on something for too long I start to lose interest.

I never pursued this kind of thing in the past because a) I had no experience and b) I didn't think I could make much money. However, a friend of mine just signed a $12k+ contract over a few months for similar work, and he's slightly younger than me. Now, I will say that he's fantastic and I can see why he'd charge that much, but also if he's 23 and is able to showcase those numbers - why can't I?

Obviously I'm not going to do this right away, and I think once I get more settled into schedules and routines with my current work it's something I can progress into, but it's exciting to think about where I can take my work in the future, as I know I don't want to be 'working a typical job' for the rest of my life. 

Anything else? Not that I can think of. I've got a podcast call this afternoon, I'm appearing on a show called Influencer's Cafe (I'm definitely not an influencer lmao) and I'm excited to see how it goes! It'll also help me learn more about the process of recording other people, especially with the new LAG podcast coming out soon.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Day 20

>Game-free: 20 days
>Gaming videos: 20 days
>Social Media: 7 days 

Journal

It's not like me to release a journal so late, but I was so focused on work this morning that I just never got round to doing it. I had my whole day planned out the night before, and was so eager to get it done, but then I completely forgot I told my girlfriend I would help her move stuff out of her old apartment. 

Bugger.

Cue me working at light-speed all morning to try and get the bulk of my work done in less than half the time it'd usually take me. I'm still not done, but I'm so much closer to finishing than I usually be.

Then, my girlfriend told me that her friends had offered to help and that I'm no longer needed anymore. Whelp.

I think I'm going to avoid the social situations and just keep doing my work. I've already cancelled the wedding party I was supposed to attend with her this week, which she's still going to despite me trying to tell her how ludicrously stupid it is. There's not a lot I can do anyway, it's one of her closest friends, and I can imagine how difficult it must be to cancel an event like that on such short notice. Regardless, no amount of empathy is going to convince me it's not a moronic thing to do.

Anyway...

In other news, the UK has pretty much imploded. Socially, economically, health whatever. I'm lucky I'm in a country that is doing better, although I'm not sure for how long, but yeah. It's affecting how much money I earn, but most importantly I'm worried about my family. I'm thousands of miles away from my grandparents and if something does go bad it's impossible for me to be there.

I'm trying not to think these things but they're always going to find a way to slip into my mind somehow.

I've come up with a pretty awesome routine that I'm going to be following, and I'm going to try and create a weekly schedule. I switched off from entirely yesterday evening, and didn't do anything work-related until I'd finished my routine. I feel so much better about it, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things will go.

Still struggling with cravings, but my efforts to invest more time in my hobbies has helped mitigate that somewhat. Unfortunately, I'm now on the last book - #12 - of The Last Kingdom series (until he releases more). So, I'm going to have to find a new fantasy series to take its place. I might return to The Wheel of Time, I think I got about 7 or 8 books into that when I tried to read it before. I'm also considering getting into the world of Brandon Sanderson. My cousin wouldn't stop going on about it for years, and it seems right up my street. Plenty of options!

If anyone's interested in seeing my recent YouTube video, here you go:

Peace.

• Like 2

Your phone video does translate well... looks amazing. I record my videos on a Canon EOS R7 (I think that's what it's called) and honestly most phones these days look just as good. I guess the main difference between having a real camera and a phone camera is how deep into the technical aspects you can get... like I can switch out lenses, blur certain things in the shot, etc. But even the newer iPhone camera can do that.

Great video... it's something I've always wanted to try but I am terrified of speaking directly into a camera and then uploading it to a world full of trolls and haters, haha. You're very open and honest, too. I think people probably respond better to that kind of attitude than people who try to play a character. Looking forward to more!

• Like 1

Your environment makes a big difference in your gaming sobriety. I relapsed on substances when I lived with my dad and now I'm sober again since living with my mom. If you think you'll be able to do better once you get out of Vietnam that's good. If you can stay sober somewhere that's a valuable place. I've found posting daily on these forums and posting on other peoples journals to be a big help in my recovery. You're doing the Vlog and the podcast so doing the journal too is really a lot of gamequitting things on your plate. I don't judge you whatever you do, just wanted to share what's helped me. My client was pushing me to play single player games yesterday. Telling me they're not as addictive and won't mess up my life as bad. He doesn't know or maybe just doesn't care that I don't want to hear that. I was able to tell him I wasn't going to game. But, I know without the game quitters forum posting daily to back me up I would have a lot harder time saying no to all that. It sounds like you're going to get back off the games soon. I hope it goes well and I'm glad you're feeling better. Calm is good.

@ceponatia Yeah if I had the choice I'd buy a vlogging camera, perhaps the Canon M5. I'd be amazed if you had the EOS R7 haha, it's not out yet and is arguably going to be the best camera on the market 😉 Unfortunately my current DSLR, while great for photos, is too big and bulky to do vlog-style videos, and even when I do a normal video it doesn't look great (see Game Quitters most recent video). 

You should give it a try! You don't even have to make the videos public, they can just be for your own benefit. I've already learnt so much in just the first few weeks, and while I was fortunate to have done a ton of speaking stuff in the past (Twitch streaming, podcasting, media interviews), there's still a long way for me to go. I haven't actually encountered any trolls either haha, everyone has been so supportive. Perhaps because of the reason you said. I try to be as open as I can, and I think people resonate with that.

@Erik2.0 Uh.. what? Sorry I'm just a little confused haha. I got out of Vietnam months ago, I work for Game Quitters so yeah there's going to be a lot of GQ on my plate. I haven't played games in 3 weeks, which is the purpose of the VLOG/journal, and I have no intention of returning anytime soon. Despite the cravings being strong I don't think there's any danger of me relapsing. Daily posting on the forum has been influential in that for sure. The first time I did the detox 5 or 6 years ago I was posting daily and it was fantastic, but the times after that, the times I struggled to stay away from gaming, I was only making a feeble attempt to post every few days. The support here really is great, and being able to think through your feelings and problems on daily basis really makes a difference.

Hope you're doing good. Take care.

• Like 1

Day 21

>Game-free: 21 days
>Gaming videos: 21 days
>Social Media: 8 days 

Journal

3 weeks today! Its gone a lot faster than I thought it would to be honest. I'm almost a quarter of the way through the 90 day detox. Things have been tough, for sure, but I've had a lot of realizations about myself, and I'm so thankful that I decided to make this choice to quit gaming for good. I wonder how things would be now if I didn't. If I just gave in to my cravings and relapsed again. I have a feeling that things are going to get a lot better for me in the near future, despite everything that's going on in the world.

The pollution has ramped up again:

XNa2Md0.png

Not having a gym to go to has been a lot harder to deal with than anything else. That was my key habit every day, it's what my morning revolves around. Doing a bodyweight workout at home isn't the same, especially when I have no equipment and cannot go outside to find places to do pull ups and whatnot. Not sure what I'm going to do on that front, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and do HIIT near enough every day. I was planning on starting my cut this week, so it might be a good time to do it, although not having the heavier exercises will make it much more difficult to carry out the cut how I wanted. Ah well.

I miss being in a small town in the English countryside where I'm able to go running and in less than a minute be out in deep woodlands and expanses of fields. Here's a picture of the lands outside my hometown, if anyone's interested:

Spoiler

Image result for much wenlock

Not a lot else going on right now, my girlfriend's back today but we're pretty much stuck indoors, so not a lot of things we can go see or do this weekend.

I'm enjoying The Last Kingdom series, although I have to say the books are much better. When we read books, especially fantasy, you build your own pictures and ideas of how the world should look. Not only that, but the relationships that get built up with certain characters are so much more detailed than you can depict in a TV show. They missed out some pretty big things, messed around with certain characters, and even cut out huge parts from the books - which I'm disappointed in. Regardless, it's entertaining, and makes for good watching in the background while I'm working.

Peace.

• Like 2

Yep what I actually have is the EOS Rebel t7. Just stock lenses still but they do alright while learning, though if I'm going to try YouTube-type stuff I'd like to get a wide angle lens. I took a Udemy class on photography so I understand the basics on lighting and composition but actually taking the time to put it into practice has been a struggle! My room, where I'd undoubtedly be doing any vlogging, has horrible lighting. Might spend some money on light diffusers and maybe even some lighting rigs. I've seen some that are surprisingly not that expensive.

• Like 1

Yeah you can get by pretty well with stock stuff, but I agree. Spending just a little money can improve your vlogging setup so much, however I think it's better to create videos and improve your ability to talk on camera so that when it comes to bolstering your setup then you've got the content creation skills to match.

My lighting is absolutely horrible, but I know by the end of the 90 videos in 90 days I'll be in a much better position to make use of any upgrades I get. Although, I will definitely be buying some lighting kits, microphones, and likely a separate vlogging camera. For now, though, I'll have to make do with my phone/DSLR!

Day 22

>Game-free: 22 days
>Gaming videos: 22 days
>Social Media: 9 days 

Journal

Been so close to going back and watching some gaming streams. The cravings for that are stronger than anything else. If the guy I used to watch, Northernlion, only did the streams he used to and didn't even bother with YouTube then it'd be fine. But now, he's streaming genuinely funny content 5 or 6 days a week and uploading equally funny videos 4 or 5 times a day on YouTube. I watched him dozens of hours a week for years of my life, it's so difficult to escape it.

It isn't a great substitute but I decided to watch a TV series on Netflix in the background while I did my work. I'm just trying to remind myself of what will happen if I go down that path. All the work I'm doing to overcome these urges will have been for nothing, and I'll have to restart from square one again.

I know I shouldn't have anything on in the background, but I'd overworked the day before and the work I was doing wasn't overly creative, more like prolonged busy work. Editing podcasts, planning stuff, research and so on. So I think in that situation it's not as bad as having Netflix on compared to me trying to do 3 hours of deep work and writing a few thousand words while watching a show.

In other news, I think I've come up with some pretty good ideas as what I'm going to do with my YouTube channel after this 90 videos in 90 days thing is over. Something I can dedicate more of my creative energy to, and actually put some time and care into each episode as opposed to the hastily pulled together smartphone-only episodes I'm doing now.

I'm also considering some other options for work on the side, more along the lines of what I know will bring me more enjoyment. The stress and anxiety over the months has got to stop, and I think this is a crucial step towards reaching that point.

My biggest problem right now, besides the cravings, is the gym being closed. Home workouts don't cut it, and I've been forced to fill up my crate of water to do certain exercises and bench press my girlfriend. She's around 46kg so it's a good weight to do it with. I've started intermittent fasting until lunchtime, as my activity levels are severely reduced, and I'm cutting down on carbs as well. While I was intentionally trying to gain weight and muscle over the last few months, I realized I've been gaining more body fat than I would have liked (some fat gain is inevitable). So, I need to do something about it, and HIIT workouts and intermittent fasting with low-carb are what I'm going to do. 

That's all for today. I made a podcast episode about the importance of journaling, so if you want to check it out click here to listen.

Peace.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, Ikar said:

. So while I had a passion/addiction, I didn't have a plan. I even think everybody (including myself) would think that it would be okay to do that, if I just made enough money to support myself, but it wasn't. The rest is history.

Good luck, regardless of what decisions you decide to make.

Ikar, do you mean in the context of running a business? 

I can still only make daily and weekly plans at most. The thing about greater goals worked in my teenage years when I imagined myself a boxing champion.

Writing plans on how much a business will grow and what cash flow you will need to set aside is great. I put this stuff in writing but it doesn’t feel as real as the goal of becoming a champion did.

My business plan lacks detail and start up capital at the moment, so I need somewhere to start.

Edited by Amphibian220

58 minutes ago, Amphibian220 said:

Ikar, do you mean in the context of running a business? 

I can still only make daily and weekly plans at most. The thing about greater goals worked in my teenage years when I imagined myself a boxing champion.

Writing plans on how much a business will grow and what cash flow you will need to set aside is great. I put this stuff in writing but it doesn’t feel as real as the goal of becoming a champion did.

My business plan lacks detail and start up capital at the moment, so I need somewhere to start.

I guess you could look at streaming as a business you run self-employed too, with hiring a few externees to do art or whatever else that needs to get done.

I had struggles getting my newer website up, but mainly because it seemed like too much work to get done in one week, as I usually plan weekly as well, so I had to get myself to see the whole picture and over the course of last 6 weeks, I managed to give it an hour here and there and get it running.

I don't have an actual plan of how my business is going to grow on its own, but I do not need it to support me right now. I am also working for other contractors and even if they pay me less than I would get if I worked with my customer directly (mostly because they are real firms with multiple people living off of me doing the work they give me), I know I am starting out, that my name spreads and I won't need these contractors eventually.

As for starting out, start from the beginning 🙂

Day 23

>Game-free: 23 days
>Gaming videos: 23 days
>Social Media: 10 days 

Journal

Yesterday was a great day. It really was.

I didn't actually get that much done, but I finished reading my book (rich20something) and it opened my mind as to what I'm doing and why I'm here in Thailand. I'd lost that spark that I had in the beginning, lost sight of what I want out of my life, and most importantly lost track of the path to get me there.

So often we plan how things go, or how we want them to go, but when life takes us on a different path we get so caught up in the excitement of the moment that we never stop to think whether or not this is the right path for us to take.

I know what I need to do over the next year as my work with Game Quitters inevitably slows down (you'll probably hear more about that soon). I'm looking forward to the future again, after so many months of struggling to see past the end of the day, to see past my regrets and failure, that I've forgotten what it feels like to be back in this place.

One of the biggest realizations I had was that I don't need to take this like a sprint. I'm only 24, 25 in a few months, and by the time I leave Thailand next year (probably not permanently, I'll likely be back), I'll still be 25. That's a whole year from now. I need to focus on the foundations, focus on building my skills and making money and building myself up from the base. In the past I tried to learn things way too quickly, and cause myself to collapse back into gaming + streams due to the overwhelming pressure I place on myself. I can't keep doing that. I've done it for years and it clearly hasn't gotten me anymore. I tried to fail fast and fail often, but that's not much use if you just keep failing.

I've written down my plans, my reasons why, my goals, and more. The constant urge to go back to being a streamer isn't even taking up a fraction of my brain right now, I forgot that just a few days ago that's all I wanted to do. Gaming is an afterthought, although as I progress in this endeavor the cravings will undoubtedly come back, but I'll deal with them when it happens.

This is the turning point that I've needed for so long.

My only concern at the moment is my relationship. I worry that it'll be too difficult to commit enough time to everything I want to do. However, that could just be because we're having to spend a lot of time together right now. Once she gets her nail business up and running next month, and is spending the majority of the day out of the house then I think it'll be a lot better. I like my privacy, and it's next to impossible to get the same level of work done when we're both stuck inside the flat all day.

Anyway, I'm not going to complain about having a girlfriend that thinks the world for me. Who cooks, cleans, and looks after everything I hate doing. I'm so grateful to have her in my life, so I think right now I need to dispel the doubts I have and remind myself why things are so great with her in the first place.

Finally, I want to start a daily meditation habit, maybe just 10 minutes in the morning. So I'm going to be tracking it on the journal from tomorrow, which I thought would give me a good way to remind myself to do it. Writing my journal is a pretty consistent part of my morning, so if I make sure I meditate for 10 minutes before I start writing, I can tick it off in the journal for that day.

Peace.

• Like 2

Day 24

>Game-free: 24 days
>Gaming videos: 24 days
>Social Media: 11 days 
>Meditation: 0 days

Journal

Girlfriend got back from the wedding ceremony at around 00:40 last night. I stayed up until around 00:15 waiting for her but gave up and basically passed out. When she came back she thought it was a great idea to turn all the lights on and go for a shower (Thai people are pretty insistent on showering 2x a day) and so my sleep was basically fucked. I couldn't seem to fall asleep again for the rest of the night. I'm sure I did, but it was mostly just dozing in and out. I'm not blaming her for it, but waking up this morning was really tough.

Didn't get out of bed until maybe 9:30am, and really couldn't be bothered to meditate. Which is a bad excuse, I know. But I'm so damn tired, and it just killed my motivation to do anything. Instead of journaling while having my coffee  just watched some YouTube videos. I found myself wanting to just check on Twitter, Reddit, Facebook and everything else. I actually did go on Reddit to check the coronavirus sub but that was a mistake. What a shit storm social media is right now. Need to avoid it completely, as even a few minutes is enough to make me hate it. So yeah, no meditation this morning. Maybe I'll do it later in the day.

I finally finished The Last Kingdom series of books - 12 in total. They follow a fictional character, Uhtred, who finds himself caught up in the forging of England by Alfred the Great and his heirs. It's pretty much all historically accurate, although he starts making up a lot more stuff as the books go on. Most of the battles are real battles that you read about online, and it's offered an incredible insight into the history of England. We don't get taught it in schools, and to think that we were so damn close to becoming ruled by Danes is fascinating. Seriously, it was so close you wouldn't imagine.

Anyway, I started reading 2 more books yesterday. I'm re-reading The Checklist Manifesto and I've started Shantaram. Shantaram is a beast of a novel, tracking the mostly true story of a heroin addict turned prison escapee turned smuggler in India (and a lot more). I'm only a few dozen pages in so far but the writing is incredible. It's so vivid and easy to read, I really feel like I'm walking the streets of Bombay with him. I can't wait to read more, although it's going to take a long time to finish, but it has been on my list for a while. I'll attach my full reading list if anyone's interested:

Advanced issue found

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

ueTKBnE.png

The "Read" column only includes books I've finished in 2020, not an exhaustive list of every single book I've ever read. Software is Notion for anyone wondering. If you have any suggestions let me know!

One of the annoying things about coronavirus is that I was supposed to have a bunch of podcasting gear arrive last week, so that I can make some big improvements to my studio and subsequently my podcast quality. Its put a hold on the start of Life After Gaming, but oh well. Not much I can do about it except delay a little bit. In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge concern.

I sent some emails out yesterday to people I was in contact with on social media, whom I longer keep in contact with (due to me quitting social media). It felt nice just to reach out and see how they're doing, just for the sake of asking. Something I've neglected in the past, especially when I used social media, was building up relationships and creating a network of like-minded business-oriented folks. So, I thought by keeping in touch with them via email it'll go a long way to maintaining and improving the friendships I had in the past, and potentially lead to exciting opportunities in the future.

Peace.

Great that you are doing so many things at once and your reading list tells me you are a keen reader. 

Something about work, I switched on nature sounds when I was doing memorization yesterday and it helped a lot. It was the sea waves, seagulls and whales and the combination of these sounds is excellent to keep you focused on your work.

I do agree how beautiful the english countryside is, it clears your mind of all worries.

The thoughts about your future can be overwhelming so I’d say just slow down and keep doing your daily work. Slowing down improves focus and makes the important decisions come naturally.

Edited by Amphibian220
  • Like 1

@Amphibian220 Yeah I have to listen to something with as little (what's the word?) jankiness? ups and downs? surprises? I don't know. Basically if it keeps changing a lot and there's vocals or instruments, it's so hard for me to concentrate. The only exception is if I listen to a single song for the entirety of my work session. That seems to go pretty well. It also messes up my Spotify recommendations haha.

It's difficult for me to slow down too much, I have to make money next month, but I'm not going into it at 100mph and overwhelming myself. I'm being smart about separating my current work with my future plans and so far it's working out well.

Day 25

>Game-free: 25 days
>Gaming videos: 25 days
>Social Media: 12 days 
>Meditation: 1 day

Journal

Meditation

I meditated today! I did 10 minutes and it was a mess (I've forgotten how difficult it is when you're just starting off) but I'm glad I got it done. Peace of mind, self-reflection, clarity, focus. All of those things are needed right now (and forever I guess).

I wish it was quieter while I was doing it, there's a ton of construction work going on in the hotel and bird calls happening outside, but I suppose that's the whole point. It was certainly a challenge to stay focused anyway.

Also, I just realised this is the first day I'm starting my journal at pretty much 9:40am which is exactly the time listed in my ideal schedule. Admittedly things are a little different because I'm not going to the gym or eating breakfast but yeah. Feels good.

Sleep

I slept like a baby last night, and I think that's playing a big part in why my mood is so good this morning. I woke up a couple of times to go to the toilet, but apart from that it was great. I woke up refreshed, energized, and ready to go. Didn't really change much, so I'm not too sure what caused it.

Gym

I realised that the crate I get delivered to my room full of water (20x1L bottles) is great for rudimentary exercises. My workout this morning was:

• Pushups to failure 

*pick up the box*

• Bent-over rows
  • Squats
  • Lunges
  • "Bench" press

*puts down box*

• Jumping jacks
  • Plank

Then repeat 3 times without a break.

I was sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch after it was done but it felt great. I haven't done any circuit/HIIT style training at home, mostly due to having absolutely no equipment. I was limited to just pushups, dips, and ab work, which is way to chest/shoulder/tricep heavy. But at least now I can get some back work in. Feels good.

Coffee

Another change I made this morning is to forego the coffee and replace it with green tea. It's so easy to get high-quality green tea here, and I'm using some my girlfriend brought back from China a couple months back. I think I'd rather drink tea than coffee, and I really love the zen culture around certain types of tea. I could see myself making that a part of my day in the future.

I've done coffee detoxes before and I always feel a lot better afterwards, so while this isn't strictly a coffee detox I'm going to see how it goes. 

YouTube

I released a video yesterday about my photography journey, and if anyone's interested in taking it up there's some great tips in there for you, especially during quarantine where you can do so much with just your smartphone!

Video: 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, James Good said:

Day 25

>Game-free: 25 days
>Gaming videos: 25 days
>Social Media: 12 days 
>Meditation: 1 day

Journal

Meditation

I meditated today! I did 10 minutes and it was a mess (I've forgotten how difficult it is when you're just starting off) but I'm glad I got it done. Peace of mind, self-reflection, clarity, focus. All of those things are needed right now (and forever I guess).

I wish it was quieter while I was doing it, there's a ton of construction work going on in the hotel and bird calls happening outside, but I suppose that's the whole point. It was certainly a challenge to stay focused anyway.

Also, I just realised this is the first day I'm starting my journal at pretty much 9:40am which is exactly the time listed in my ideal schedule. Admittedly things are a little different because I'm not going to the gym or eating breakfast but yeah. Feels good.

Sleep

I slept like a baby last night, and I think that's playing a big part in why my mood is so good this morning. I woke up a couple of times to go to the toilet, but apart from that it was great. I woke up refreshed, energized, and ready to go. Didn't really change much, so I'm not too sure what caused it.

Gym

I realised that the crate I get delivered to my room full of water (20x1L bottles) is great for rudimentary exercises. My workout this morning was:

• Pushups to failure 

*pick up the box*

• Bent-over rows
  • Squats
  • Lunges
  • "Bench" press

*puts down box*

• Jumping jacks
  • Plank

Then repeat 3 times without a break.

I was sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch after it was done but it felt great. I haven't done any circuit/HIIT style training at home, mostly due to having absolutely no equipment. I was limited to just pushups, dips, and ab work, which is way to chest/shoulder/tricep heavy. But at least now I can get some back work in. Feels good.

Coffee

Another change I made this morning is to forego the coffee and replace it with green tea. It's so easy to get high-quality green tea here, and I'm using some my girlfriend brought back from China a couple months back. I think I'd rather drink tea than coffee, and I really love the zen culture around certain types of tea. I could see myself making that a part of my day in the future.

I've done coffee detoxes before and I always feel a lot better afterwards, so while this isn't strictly a coffee detox I'm going to see how it goes. 

YouTube

I released a video yesterday about my photography journey, and if anyone's interested in taking it up there's some great tips in there for you, especially during quarantine where you can do so much with just your smartphone!

Video: 

Good job with this. I never enjoyed the effects coffee had on me. Maybe the tea is more healthy for you and leads to better results. Sleep always makes me feel better as well and is probably the number 1 thing people need in life next to food and water. Maybe the desire for quiet can guide you in meditation to be able to block that noise out.

• Like 1

Day 26

>Game-free: 26 days
>Gaming videos: 26 days
>Social Media: 0 days 
>Meditation: 1 day

Journal

Social Media

Welp, there goes my streak. I was going to be lenient on myself and not count it, but one of the first things I did after waking up was scroll through Reddit/Twitter. My routine went out the window due to me being tired and not bothering to workout. I didn't meditate, but at least now I have my day planned, I'm sipping my green tea, and I'm doing my journal. Some normality has returned I suppose.

I didn't spent hours on social media, which is something I guess. I think in total I spent around 10-15 minutes, split between the two platforms. What started as me visiting the sites once a week or so to check messages, soon became me checking Twitter Explore + Reddit to get Coronavirus updates, and this inevitably led to me breaking the streak. Ugh.

The problem is, like gaming, I wish that they could be a balanced part of my life. I just don't know when, or if, I'll actually get to that point. Gotta keep going I guess.

Sleep

Thought I slept well last night, or at least similarly to the night before, yet I woke up feeling exhausted. I wonder how much of an impact my diet had on it. The days before I woke up feeling great had been healthier, but yesterday I snacked on some sweet treats + Rtiz crackers. My girlfriend brought them home after doing a grocery run, and I got a bit pissed off. She knows I'm  'on a diet' and I'm not eating sweet things. But right now I'm trying so hard to avoid gaming, social media, and whatever else that resisting two of my favourite snacks is almost impossible.

I told her not to bring shit like that back again or else I'm just going to throw them in the bin.

Probably going to be a short post today, not a huge amount to talk about. Just keeping on keeping on.

Peace.

• Like 1

Day 27

>Game-free: 27 days
>Gaming videos: 27 days
>Social Media: 0 days 
>Meditation: 0 days

Journal

Even doing this journal feels like a chore this morning. It's crucial that I sort this out before it gets worse. My habits, my feelings, my routine, my diet, everything. They're just going to get worse and worse unless I fix it.

Got a big work day today and I need to dial in my focus to get it all done. If I do get it all done it'll be great. I'll have accomplished so much and had one of the most productive days in a while. Had my green tea, doing my journal, taken some focus pills (Gorilla Mind Rush), and I'm ready to get cracking. I'm not even concerned with showering or exercising this morning. I can do it later. For now I need to ride this wave of productivity that I can feel building up as I'm writing this for as long as possible.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:34 AM, James Good said:

I sent some emails out yesterday to people I was in contact with on social media, whom I longer keep in contact with (due to me quitting social media). It felt nice just to reach out and see how they're doing, just for the sake of asking. Something I've neglected in the past, especially when I used social media, was building up relationships and creating a network of like-minded business-oriented folks. So, I thought by keeping in touch with them via email it'll go a long way to maintaining and improving the friendships I had in the past, and potentially lead to exciting opportunities in the future.

One of my friends e-mailed me back and it genuinely made my day. It feels like a much richer connection than sending a message on social media. On top of that they're also someone who I look up to a lot from a business perspective, and he suggested we get on a call to talk about what I'm up to and what my plans are. I can't wait!

Go message some people you haven't spoken to in a while, you never know what'll happen.

In terms of my own work, I'm currently in the market research phase. Asking clients what they look for in freelancers, what their problems are and so on. Asking my competitors some questions too. I'm not selling anything just yet, but this is a phase I've neglected in the past but am now putting the most effort into. It's a great opportunity for me to build some more connections, see what works and what doesn't, figure out my angle of attack, and really make my work as impactful as possible.

From a purely work/mentality standpoint I feel fantastic at the moment. I'm refreshed, excited, and eager to get started. My problem right now is the personal/physical stuff. My diet, sleep, routines and so on. Can't maintain this so that's what I'm going to be focusing on in the coming weeks!

Also, I made a video yesterday talking about what I'm doing now that my social media detox is over, and it's probably one of the most value-filled videos I've created so far. If not the most. Give it a watch, a like, or anything else - I really do appreciate any support!

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1