NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Morning Routines

giblets

What does everyone's morning routines look like?

I listened to a recent podcast with Penn Juliette (from Penn & Teller fame) where he talks about extensive journalling and reflecting every day. The part that stood out to me the most was that he allocates time every morning to go back through his old journals - 1 week, 1 year and 10 years in the past - and reflects on how much he has grown, the issues he is still battling with and general grounding on himself before tackling the day.

I forsee the biggest challenge for me doing this is finding the time to jam it in - especially in the mornings. I am really sluggish in the mornings and generally lose about 30-45 minutes after I wake up to get my body going. That time is usually spent arguing with myself over how much I want to go back to bed or trying to get my body going (mainly ready for a 10km+ run). This time would be the ideal time to claw back and use for this journalling/reflection.

So, what do you do to get going quickly in the morning? I don't do caffeine anymore, but I drink a litre of water as soon as I wake up, and start moving around to get the blood flowing. I won't be able to read the responses for a few weeks but I am looking forward to the discussion.

• Like 2

I've tried different things. I used to wake up, get dressed immediately, cook and eat breakfast, and be out of the house under 30 minutes. That stressed me out because I didn't have time to collect myself. 

I then started hitting snooze a million times and the act of waking up and going back to bed several times just simulates the brain fog I experience from depression. 

I tried doing stretches and yoga in the morning, but it got me angry because I didn't actually care about yoga or stretching.

I realized what I cared about was not having any time to myself in the morning.

So now I wake up immediately because I know snoozing makes me sick. I sit on top of my sheets with a different blanket around me and look around the room for a few minutes and just relax. I drink some water while I'm sitting. I take some time to just stretch my arms and neck and yawn a lot. I then watch no more than 10 minutes of YouTube videos. It's mostly a 5 minute clip from a hockey game from the previous night. I then get dressed slowly, make my favorite breakfast, watch a video or read an article (none of these are gaming related), then I brush my teeth, grab my lunch I meal prepped the night before, and leave.

I had a really good streak going in mid-2019 where I had my Echo set up to turn my bedroom lights on at 4 AM and start playing music. That will get you out of bed fast! I made a point to not touch my phone until I'd had a shower at least. Then I meditated for 20 minutes and did some yoga. I got turned off to meditation pretty quickly; I never saw any benefit from it whatsoever and still don't know what all the fuss is about. I think it's just something trendy to say that you do. Yoga on the other hand, I was definitely more flexible and more toned than I am now even though I still work out. I'd like to pick that up again.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:36 AM, BooksandTrees said:

I then started hitting snooze a million times and the act of waking up and going back to bed several times just simulates the brain fog I experience from depression. 

can u explain this please ?

On 1/13/2020 at 4:36 AM, BooksandTrees said:

make my favorite breakfast

hmm for me breakfast is a problem , for you what do u eat for breakfast ?

I think it's important to take what other people say they do for their morning routine with a grain of salt. Not everything is going to work for everybody. I do think it's important to discover what DOES work for you, but don't feel pressure to do it any certain way. YOUR morning routine is unique to YOU, whatever that ends up being, and you shouldn't feel bad because you don't do it that guy's way.

Edited by seriousjay
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Netzwerker said:

can u explain this please ?

hmm for me breakfast is a problem , for you what do u eat for breakfast ?

Waking up and going back to bed multiple times shocks your brain and causes it to function differently than just waking up. You feel extreme "grogginess" and feel slower in your head when thinking. You feel tired, but can't sleep. It's exhausting and it makes you feel sick almost. When I'm depressed I feel very similar. Your brain can simulate past experiences with familiar ones. So when I keep snoozing it makes me feel similar to the depression feelings and I just get depressed again or feel down about myself. I learned that I didn't like that so I stopped snoozing. I eat 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast. It takes 5 minutes to cook and 5 minutes to eat.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all that input.

While I am a person with sleeping problems all my life (not able to sleep in and then not able to get up) I digged deeper into this problem, i tried almost everything written here.

I found a book about waking cycles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm and even read more into scientific papers who where recently released (becouse of better measurement devices) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronobiology .

The newews discoveries broke the plain day-wake-cycle even into more periods over a day.

Those periods shift and align to when you wake up (therefore it's stressfull for people to get up at different times each day, like shift workers have to do).

Bottom line, I go to bed at 20pm now, and wake up by myselfe at 2am without alarm clock.

I noticed that, after a while (arround 6 Months) I did not get up that easy mostly sleeping to 4am. What helped me was buying a daylight alarm clock (the one where you can disable the sound!). I also do have some toys standing on my book shelf within my bedroom. Seeing them in the morning helps me get up.