NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Delete or not delete games ? (for the purpose of quitting)

BgK

Ok this sounds like an obvious question. If you want to quit, of course you delete the games. All of them! And any cache left behind. Delete any bookmarks that lead to gaming website and YouTube subscriptions. Throw away your figure model relating to games.

while all of this sounds obvious and the first step towards quitting games, I personally experienced differently. I used to delete all the sh*ts altogether and made up my mind of not touching games, but I relapsed, a lot. Not sure it’s just me, when I didn’t see games around, there was that extra rebellion/curiosity/desire (I don’t know what to call it ) to think about games. It only happened when there was not a single game around.

Strangely though, after a lot of relapses I decided to try keeping the games but not playing them. It gave me a sense of security. The message it gave me is this: it’s not that I was “forced” to quit gaming, it is that I regret gaming and I hate the negative effects they brought onto my life, therefore I chose not to game although I had the option of playing. You know what, this method gave me a great result. I didn’t play them for couples of months and I ended up deleting all my games after several weeks of not playing, when I felt comfortable to do so.

Now that I had a stressful event and relapsed. I am curious what’s you guys’ opinion on this matter? What is the best way that works for you when you were quitting?

Edited by BgK

I have this exact same issue. I've deleted Steam, my games and I've even repackaged my Logitech G13 to only reinstall Steam, redownload my games, and take out the G13. Then I'll try to convince myself that I have a handle on this. Then I'll play for a few hours, get depressed, uninstall Steam, my games, put back the G13 to only do it all over agian. The issue I have is I own a gaming laptop. I need a laptop for work, and I don't have another one to use. I've been going thru this cycle for the last few months and it's driving me crazy. Willpower doesn't work. I know what it is. Whenever I need to do work, I go straight to my games. Dopemine is a powerful drug. lol. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

23 hours ago, creationlist said:

Always delete sell all your pc stuff.

Done that myselve 10/10 would do it again.

It makes you have such a different view about things. It's amazing.

After you done that you can still get new tech ?

Great that it works for you!

I have removed my accounts, deleted my games, unistalled etc. However i have a LOT of collectables, limited edition consoles, controlers and all sorts of hardware, games and merch that i wont ever get rid off. Because its all a part of my life, part of my past. For now its out of sight out of mind in my now "tomb" gaming den. Locked and sealed till im sure i can handle being in there without it being a trigger, and instead it being a plesant reminder of a time i had a lot of fun but is in the past now.

@Turner2012Yes, they are part of our past, our history and in some degree part of us. They brought good time and good memories as well as negative impacts to our lives. I am happy for you that you get over it and move on!

Edited by BgK

@reza MrbWell you want to eventually get rid of it but it’s not possible for some people to make a clean cut and never touch it again. If it works for you I will cheer for you, that saves a lot of troubles!

There could be a reason why those smoking cessation programs give smokers electric cigarette or other substitutes to tune down their addiction gradually until they can finally cut lose from smoking.