NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Giving 90 days a shot

Big Adam

Hey Everyone. I'm a 31 year old male.  I don't consider myself addicted to games, but it's a habit that's become more entrenched than I'd like it to be.  I've been playing video games to one degree or another since I was a kid.  I've always enjoyed them as a way to relieve stress and as a source of entertainment.  Most of the time, I've kept my gaming within reasonable limits and it's functioned much the way that TV does for most people. 2-3 hours a day, typically at the end of the day to de-stress.  I keep up with my work and train jiu jitsu multiple nights a week.  Gaming has not been a problem for most of my adult life, but lately, I've been playing too much.  Last Friday, this Wednesday, and this Friday: I stayed up until 6AM playing Dead Cells.  Obviously that made me feel like crap all day the next day.  In addition to playing too much, my brain has linked gaming with junk food consumption, so when I do play games, it triggers cravings for something sweet and it's easy to go into autopilot.

I don't play to stop playing games forever, but I'm committing to the next 90 days.   My goal is to break the strength of my gaming habit and bring it back as a planned indulgence after the 90 days.  When I was a kid my Dad had a rule for us that we could only play video games on the weekends. I'm thinking I'll bring back a variation of that and keep it as a Saturday-Sunday-Only Indulgence.  We'll see. Perhaps when the 90 days are up I'll find that I want to keep going cold-turkey.

Today is Day 2 for me.  I have noticed that I think of playing games when I have a long stretch of unstructured time.  If I have no work or nothing scheduled for myself, it's easy to turn on a game to pass a few hours.