NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Black Friday for Hobbyists

goodvibes

Saw a Black Friday ad and decided worth shouting out to GQ family this is a great opportunity to build on existing hobbies or start new ones at affordable prices .. that have nothing to do with video games! So much good content published on this site about hobbies but bottom line they will teach your brain there is healthier and pleasurable activities that don't contribute to a hormone imbalance. Even if you can't afford to buy into a hobby there is always the free ones!!

Holiday season approaching, best of luck everyone and stay grounded in good health :)

• Like 3

More cookware, calisthenic gear, and a writing desk because these are the hobbies I spend most of my time doing these days. New hobbies would be great too but if you can build upon hobbies you are already involved in just makes so much sense. Welcome to GQ @Brim59 have you considered the 90 day video game detox? We also have a hobby tool this link here if you would like to explore for yourself! What do you think?

Thanks! Yeah I decided to quit gaming start of September, I decided a mix of playing way too much minecraft (2200 hours in 8 months) hence giving me a RSI type injury it was time for me to quit (given I also had an injury excuse too). Come Black Friday I plan to buy new clothes and a new chair for my bedroom for watching TV or stuff on my laptop. I have tried picking up new hobbies since September, improv comedy and board games being some of my favorites. 

Nice good work :) Recommendations would be subjective to how we used gaming, where we gamed, etc like if you gamed in your bedroom then consider both hobbies that can easily get you out of the room (indoor/outdoor cooking, walking, running, cycling, hiking, etc) as well as bedroom hobbies to replace video games (dart board, calisthenics, reading). Maybe you used gaming more for social connection so would consider if there is a hobby other people or friends are into.

This is my story. 

I also hope to buy myself a paper journal so I can start journalling :). I've noticed a lot of my hobbies most of the cost goes towards learning it / taking lessons so unless lessons are discounted on black friday I won't be buying into building existing hobbies.

Online journals here too :)
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/forum/11-daily-journals/

Paper journal also great to have not always wanting to be online. I know during my transition I tended to spend a lot of time in front of the computer screen not being productive and know a few others here also admitted to that so maybe also hobbies not in front of a screen is also best starting out. Chairs are nice to have though for many things like reading and quick naps, not hating on that.

It's so subjective, but it does relate so closely to how you game. I wasn't big on MC, but I enjoyed it for the rogue-like elements (Starting with nothing > surviving > Thriving)

There's also so many hobbies out there that you would've never thought of. I've recently gotten into flipping items on eBay, I think this'll be a mad hobby when I truly get started. Relates so closely to how I use to game.

I recommend everyone to look at their gameplay styles and what they enjoyed about the game specifically. You can enhance that happiness and build those skills in the real world too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoSidedLife said:

I recommend everyone to look at their gameplay styles and what they enjoyed about the game specifically. You can enhance that happiness and build those skills in the real world too!

True that I bet I would have mad paintball skills for how often I checked out with FPS genre. Text-based games left me fast & accurate typing for sure might start my own blog someday soon I love to write.

Flipping items on ebay not a bad idea if you invest in some with good ROI, not bad at all heh. Used to do that on WoW quite successfully would just look for the items low in stock - buy all and sell for higher.

• Like 1

@goodvibes Yess! Paintball is a great option, tho i've never been still. I've wanted to get into shooting real guns when i'm a bit older. It's a bit harder to do in Australia but not impossible. Airsoft looks awesome too, but banned in Australia sadly. The laser tag place in my town does tournaments/competitive for older or more serious players haha.

I use to do the exact same with in-game items hahaha. Tho it wasn't 100% legit cause i'd shark a lot of new players (Good thing I quit! I've learned i'm pretty damn persuasive/manipulative if I want to be). But i've definitely done it right before. I've got no $ rn. Planning to sell stuff I don't need first (Once I have enough $ to ship it) and then use that money to truly start flipping.

My life is a rogue-like game lol.

• Like 1