NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

60 days in, looking for support

Tetsuo1985

Greetings to the forum. I'm a 27 year old and I'm 2 months video game free. I decided to quit gaming because it was pretty much the only thing I was doing other than work, which was really robbing me of any chance to better myself or my situation. I was mainly into playing online games that lent themselves to an endless grind like GTA Online and Elder Scrolls Online.

It hasn't been tooooooo hard so far, but I have had a couple days that have been particularly tempting and I almost caved. Rainy days just seem to be the perfect time to play a bit. But I'm pretty sure if I opened that door, I'd be off to the races again.

I already quit alcohol and drugs almost 2 years ago and video games became my substitute addiction. This hasn't been as hard, but I do have to deal with confronting uncomfortable emotions that I was using video games to distract myself with. 

It actually felt really good at the beginning. I was enjoying getting back into reading and feeling more connected to the world. Unfortunately my father passed away about 3 weeks ago, so that's been an emotional roller coaster that I'm sure is contributing to my desire to escape.

So anyways this post turned out a lot longer than I thought it would, so thanks if you've read this far. Hoping I can offer something of value to this community.

Regards,

Tetsuo

• Like 2

First off welcome to the forums and congratulations on 60 days! I'm in the same boat as you as far as only having a couple days here and there being particularly difficult. The rainy days seem to be extra hard for sure which is why it's good to have things to distract you on days like that. Way to go on getting off alcohol and drugs, I know how hard that is and it takes a lot of dedication so congrats :).

Really sorry to hear about your father's passing but I hope that you have family and or friends that can help you through this to make it easier. If you ever need someone to talk to I'm sure someone in hear would be willing to help and I'd be more than willing to chat with ya if you want. Take er' easy man and I look forward to seeing ya on here some more!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tetsuo1985 said:

Greetings to the forum. I'm a 27 year old and I'm 2 months video game free. I decided to quit gaming because it was pretty much the only thing I was doing other than work, which was really robbing me of any chance to better myself or my situation. I was mainly into playing online games that lent themselves to an endless grind like GTA Online and Elder Scrolls Online.

It hasn't been tooooooo hard so far, but I have had a couple days that have been particularly tempting and I almost caved. Rainy days just seem to be the perfect time to play a bit. But I'm pretty sure if I opened that door, I'd be off to the races again.

I already quit alcohol and drugs almost 2 years ago and video games became my substitute addiction. This hasn't been as hard, but I do have to deal with confronting uncomfortable emotions that I was using video games to distract myself with. 

It actually felt really good at the beginning. I was enjoying getting back into reading and feeling more connected to the world. Unfortunately my father passed away about 3 weeks ago, so that's been an emotional roller coaster that I'm sure is contributing to my desire to escape.

So anyways this post turned out a lot longer than I thought it would, so thanks if you've read this far. Hoping I can offer something of value to this community.

Regards,

Tetsuo

My sympathies to you regarding your father's recent passing.  

I wasted an entire year six years ago, coping with my cousin's death by gaming 10-12 hours a day.  

Perhaps this is a crossroads for you.  

And major kudos to you for quitting drugs and alcohol.  That is a massive accomplishment.