James Good

James's 30-day confidence journal

21 hours ago, seriousjay said:

I find that framing things in a compassionate way is the best approach to success later on. Also not beating yourself up over things you didn't get done!

For some reason I don't get notifications when people reply to this journal, but I do when they like a message 🤔 I'll look into that...

Yeah I've had a tendency to beat myself up over failures, simply due to being naturally talented and getting annoying when things don't work out.

It's all a journey though, and I'm just happy to be a part of it.

Day 8, what's there to hate?

Nothing, is the answer...

I woke up at 7:20am again but hoooooooooly hell I feel 10x better.

I'm excited to start the day now. This is great.

I need to work on my morning routine (funny that I release an article and a podcast a week ago about this topic but whatever)

Did I atone for my previous day's failures? Nope.

I had the opportunity to. I spent the evening working/chatting at the nearby bar at their outside sitting area. It's great because it doesn't get busy until 9-10pm, the music is good, and the people are great company (one of them is the girl I'm into which you can read about further back). And no I wasn't drinking, I don't think I'd get any work done if I had a beer haha.

But at one point a group of 3 really attractive girls came in to pick up their friend for his birthday (I think? Thai's are difficult). The one I was into the most kept giving me the eyes, and when I went past her I should have just said hey but I kept quiet.

I hadn't been feeling good all day, partly due to me not showering, my hair being greasy and running out of deodorant etc and partly because I was just tired/weak/ill. Not a good combination.

I remember not wanting to interact with anyone yesterday regardless of who they were. I wasn't as friendly as usual and I wasn't feeling confident at all. 

Whether or not that was partly to blame - those root issues I'd already instilled in myself before the day began - I have no idea. 

Regardless, today is a new day. Today I feel amazing. Today is my day.

Peace.

Oh, and an update on that girl I'm into. I spent a good few hours with her and her colleague and it was just a great time. I stopped seeing her as a potential partner and just enjoyed her company, and it was great. We laughed, played games, learnt Thai/English, teased each other and whatever else friends do. Glad I decided to carry on staying friends with her!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Good said:

Day 8, what's there to hate?

Nothing, is the answer...

I woke up at 7:20am again but hoooooooooly hell I feel 10x better.

I'm excited to start the day now. This is great.

I need to work on my morning routine (funny that I release an article and a podcast a week ago about this topic but whatever)

Did I atone for my previous day's failures? Nope.

I had the opportunity to. I spent the evening working/chatting at the nearby bar at their outside sitting area. It's great because it doesn't get busy until 9-10pm, the music is good, and the people are great company (one of them is the girl I'm into which you can read about further back). And no I wasn't drinking, I don't think I'd get any work done if I had a beer haha.

But at one point a group of 3 really attractive girls came in to pick up their friend for his birthday (I think? Thai's are difficult). The one I was into the most kept giving me the eyes, and when I went past her I should have just said hey but I kept quiet.

I hadn't been feeling good all day, partly due to me not showering, my hair being greasy and running out of deodorant etc and partly because I was just tired/weak/ill. Not a good combination.

I remember not wanting to interact with anyone yesterday regardless of who they were. I wasn't as friendly as usual and I wasn't feeling confident at all. 

Whether or not that was partly to blame - those root issues I'd already instilled in myself before the day began - I have no idea. 

Regardless, today is a new day. Today I feel amazing. Today is my day.

Peace.

Oh, and an update on that girl I'm into. I spent a good few hours with her and her colleague and it was just a great time. I stopped seeing her as a potential partner and just enjoyed her company, and it was great. We laughed, played games, learnt Thai/English, teased each other and whatever else friends do. Glad I decided to carry on staying friends with her!

Success is when preparation meets opportunity. It's definitely natural to feel less confident about things if you're not prepared, ie. showering, deodorant, etc.

I think morning routines, even if it's something as basic as get up, shower, breakfast, meditate, gratitude (mine) are critical to prepare you for the day ahead.

Just keep in mind a radical change in the way you do things isn't going to become a routine immediately. You're going to have to intentionally work at it before it becomes a habit, and some things, no matter how hard you try (like me getting up at 5 AM!) simply don't end up working out, and I think that's perfectly fine too! Eventually you will figure out what works for you. 🙂

Cheers!

1 hour ago, seriousjay said:

Success is when preparation meets opportunity. It's definitely natural to feel less confident about things if you're not prepared, ie. showering, deodorant, etc.

I think morning routines, even if it's something as basic as get up, shower, breakfast, meditate, gratitude (mine) are critical to prepare you for the day ahead.

Just keep in mind a radical change in the way you do things isn't going to become a routine immediately. You're going to have to intentionally work at it before it becomes a habit, and some things, no matter how hard you try (like me getting up at 5 AM!) simply don't end up working out, and I think that's perfectly fine too! Eventually you will figure out what works for you. 🙂

Cheers!

100% agree! 

And yeah I've gone through plenty of morning routines for the last few years, I recently created this for GQ: https://gamequitters.com/morning-routine/

I think finding a couple of things that are pretty simple, as you said, is the best route for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James Good said:

100% agree! 

And yeah I've gone through plenty of morning routines for the last few years, I recently created this for GQ: https://gamequitters.com/morning-routine/

I think finding a couple of things that are pretty simple, as you said, is the best route for me.

It's the best way to start at least. Speaking of which, I haven't completed mine yet!

On 10/22/2019 at 7:31 PM, James Good said:

Thank you for reading! 

That's awesome. How long did you spend here? Anything you'd recommend? 

I don't really want to leave, but I'm making myself travel Asia a bit more before I truly settle. 

Thanks again, you too! 😊

Hi!

I was there for about 1.5 months, during the winter dry season. We had a local guide and we hiked from Chiang Mai up to Chiang Rai, Laos, Pai and back. 

This was 10 years ago but I would say all of those areas are worth a visit. We stayed in many local villages and traveled alongside the monks. Visited temples, hiked through the national forests, ate lots of great food! I’m sorry I cannot remember  exact locations, but I would just talk to the locals and continue to explore!!!

Specifically in Chiang Mai I remember the night markets and tuk tuks! Enjoy this time my friend 🙂 Thank you for sharing your journey. 

Quick update: Got food poisoning  few days ago and have been basically bedridden and unable to spend much time looking at screens. Will post again tomorrow now that I'm feeling better.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:41 PM, seriousjay said:

Hey James, how's it going? 🙂

I have no idea why I don't get notifications for people commenting on my posts 🤔

Things are going okay. Which is about the best way to put it. I'm struggling with some fairly big things at the moment, both physical and mental, and it's taking a huge toll on my everyday life. 

I feel like a different person from who I was a few weeks ago, and not in a good way. Weirdly I've been exercising at 7am every day, I've been sleeping and eating better, my relationships are better and I'm working harder. But, no matter what I do, I just keep getting worse and worse. Its been a gradual decline over the last few months.

I'm going in to get some blood work done soon, I think low testosterone could be a culprit, especially given a few other *ahem* symptoms I've been experiencing so we'll see how it goes.

I'll probably post an update on how things go, but for now I can't muster up the motivation to get a regular journal done.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, James Good said:

I have no idea why I don't get notifications for people commenting on my posts 🤔

Things are going okay. Which is about the best way to put it. I'm struggling with some fairly big things at the moment, both physical and mental, and it's taking a huge toll on my everyday life. 

I feel like a different person from who I was a few weeks ago, and not in a good way. Weirdly I've been exercising at 7am every day, I've been sleeping and eating better, my relationships are better and I'm working harder. But, no matter what I do, I just keep getting worse and worse. Its been a gradual decline over the last few months.

I'm going in to get some blood work done soon, I think low testosterone could be a culprit, especially given a few other *ahem* symptoms I've been experiencing so we'll see how it goes.

I'll probably post an update on how things go, but for now I can't muster up the motivation to get a regular journal done.

I think it's positive that you're open and honest about these things. It sounds to me though like you're just burning out.

I would try taking a day or two off with zero pressure or expectations to get anything done. Just do whatever makes you feel good and see if that helps! 🙂

• Like 2