NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Did you play Single Player Games or MMORPG's?

CornishGameHen

• 2 months later...

Interresting question. I thought alot about it.

It almost always depends on your own playstyle habbits i'd say.

But for most of the people this is the problem (major problem for me):
If you find a really awesome community to play a game it is indefinitely harder for me to leave a game, compared than playing a singleplayer game.

So I say, yes they are if your a social person. If not, singleplayer is more addictive.
But statistics show, the majority does play singleplayer for entertaining purpose. Few people really sink tons of time into a singleplayer game compared to multiplayer games.
Lookup steam statistics, really interresting.

Shure, I know some singleplayer games I was completely addicted to. But after a while they where not that interresting anymore.

That correlates to the statistics, where more than 80ish percent of people play arround 2 hour a day min. Compared to singleplayer where it's only arround 20%.
Just browse throught the comments of this for example: https://store.steampowered.com/app/292030/The_Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt/
Where you see the ingame time of people.

Also the impact of an singleplayer addiction is propably not that hard as an addiction to multiplayer games.

For me nowadays: SP > MP
Becouse: Singleplayer does not Involve (gaming) work for other people to be respected. I wrote this more in depth here: 

Edited by creationlist

I can imagine this swinging either way.  I was MMOs.  But the main thing is that while you're gaming, you're being constantly rewarded, and there are no consequences for the choices that you make that last past your next respawn.  Gaming is primarily a way of checking out of real life for a while, like reading, partying, drug use, etc.  MMOs promise "friendship" and "companionship", but in reality deliver neither.  Single player - well I wasn't into that, but it's just a diversion.

When played responsibly, it's not a problem.  For us on this site, it dominates our lives and consumes all our time so that we end up in our 40's and we have no more real life.

I use to play MMORPGS. I've been using single player to help get myself completely away. I'm still relapsing, but too single player games. Obviously no games at all is the goal, but I find its alot easier to stop playing a game you can pause vs a big MMO that sucks you in and has a social element. Single Player still effects your brain negatively however.

• 11 months later...

Single player for me.

I can see how multiplayer would be more addicting in the long run. In multiplayer there is always someone better than you, always someone to beat. In single player, at some point you've "beat the game." And then you get bored and onto the next one.

Honestly that's what's made it easier for me to quit. The games I play have endings. Whenever I used to beat one I remember feeling like, "Do I really want to get hooked on another game? And then what, I'll beat that and then... nothing? Isn't there more to life than this" Between games there was always this lull of like... the f* am I doing with my life? Those moments, which came naturally, ultimately led to me quitting. I'm not saying multiplayer games don't give you that feeling but there is no "between games." There's just the next game, still trying to beat that person you lost to that one time, still trying to perfect a 360 no scope... 😆 or whatever it is ya'll do over there.

• 2 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 1:27 PM, CornishGameHen said:

I'm curious about this.  Are MMORPG's more difficult to abstain from, versus Single Player Games?

I don't really get addicted to single player--don't get me wrong, they still trigger that "dopamine hit"--but multiplayer suddenly brings in community, competition, etc.

One of my worst addictive times was when I was competiting in regionals for Super Smash Bros. It was all-consuming. 

Single player, multiplayer, it's all the same #%@$! for me. In fact, I have my doubts, If I wasn't more addicted to single player games than multiplayer games, just saying.
The problem is that "single player" games don't really exist anymore, in this age of internet where you can find leaderboards for almost any single player game. If there isn't, you can still easily create your community and/or upload your scores somewhere.
It was maybe more relevant back in the old days without internet and indeed the friction of having to physically move to events or find real life friends could make up for it, but that's really not the case anymore. Also, even in 100% solo games, you can still create your own challenges and compete against yourself, giving yourself infinite replay "value".

I don't even bother with gaming, I really see it like a three card monte or similar cons. The only way to win is to not play, because I can't really "win", all rigged from the start.

• Like 2

For me personally, MOBA's were (are) most addictive. Other games would also satisfy my addiction, but I would always get bored at some point. Especially with single player games, I would feel like the pace of the game was much slower and I would just start playing some other game. MMORPG's definitely drew me in more, but at some point I realized (playing runescape) I was just clicking on a tree to level up, in order to click on a new tree (same could be applied for any other skill). There was no point to it, this bummed me out and I haven't really felt a major pull from such MMORPG games since. The never ending learning curve and constantly changing meta of MOBA games is what really kept me going. Throughout my gaming life, DOTA (2) has been the constant. I would always come back to this game and I loved studying how to get better, I especially loved the strategic part of the game: how to read the map and what objectives to take and when to take them. 

So yeah, I guess it is different for anyone. I know any game can be addictive to me, but MOBA's seemed to satisfy my needs most. 

Single-player for me, with a preference for open-world role-playing and exploration/survival games. Multiplayer simply didn't interest me, as gaming was never about competition, and I wanted nothing to do with the more toxic aspects of game culture.

• 4 weeks later...