NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

JoJo's Diary: A new leaf

EpicJ0J0

10/06/2019 Day 1

Today I began the process of quitting my gaming addiction that started in high school or roughly 8-9 years ago. At first it was just a little bit here and there and it slowly kept becoming more and more and there were days where I wouldn't leave my room. Well, that all stops today. My first step was to join a group with like minded people where we can encourage each other, talk to each other, get advice and whatnot. My second step was uninstalling all games on my computer. That included but was not limited to, steam, runescape, battle.net, Uplay and much more. Third step was creating this diary. I know this will be hard but I look forward to the day I can confidently say games don't run my life anymore.

10/07/2019 Day 2

Alrighty, so I'm doing day 2 about an hour early because I have to study  and I'll probably end up falling asleep or spacing this off. Last night and today were rough. I kept on thinking about games and I was kind of lost, thank God I had some work to do and some schoolwork to finish. I study Japanese daily so that helped as well. I'm not looking forward to this first week but it'll be over before I know it? Anyways, I'll see ya guys tomorrow!

10/08/2019 Day 3

Yosh, today I had school so it wasn't that bad! I was at school from around 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. Once I got home I ate, studied a bit then messed around on youtube and facebook for a little while. After a while I finished tidying up a rough draft for an essay and now I'm here. All in all, it was a really good day and I didn't have to really keep myself from jumping into any games. See you folks on day 4!

Edited by EpicJ0J0
  • Like 1

10/09/2019 Day 4

Howdy ya'll. I'm on to day 4! Today was really good! I went to town today and while in town I went to the gym, studied and just hung out. Once I get home I relaxed a bit and studied. I had a slight urge to game when I saw an ad for one but I easily blocked the ad and moved on. Last night I stayed up till nearly 2:00 am making a weekly schedule that way I don't get stuck doing nothing. Today was my first day using it and it helped out a lot. Hopefully there are more days like this to come ?

10/10/2019 Day 5

Heya folks, it is now day 5. I'm really tired today because of school and lack of sleep so I'ma make this a short one. Haven't had any troubles with gaming today. There were no urges that I can recall and when I saw an ad, lets play, or something of that sort I just scrolled on past it without a second thought. Well, got some more studying to do so with that I'll see you guys tomorrow. ?

10/11/2019 Day 6

Howdy howdy folks. We are now on day 6. Slept much better today so that's a plus! Gaming wise today went swell except for a moment where I saw an ad for a game. It was a game I had just started playing not long before I started all of this and I found it a bit hard to pull away from the ad. After a moment though I regained control and went back to homework and youtube to get it off my mind. Went to the gym as well today so that was nice. Other then that, this was a good day and has been a great week so far. I'll see you guys tomorrow! ?

Congratulations on a fantastic week! Not only did you stay away from gaming but it sounds so productive too. 

Gaming adverts is a tough one because if they're on TV then they're hard to get away from. But you did the right thing to regain control. 

Keep up the good work for week 2!

• 2 weeks later...

10/22/2019 Day 16

Howdy folks! I've been gone for a little over a week haha. I just spaced off the diary. I would remember it but would end up getting sucked into homework or studying and end up not doing it heh. Things have been going good though! Still haven't played any video games, so that's nice and I haven't really wanted to play any games either so yayy. I'm going to a Japanese garden this week so I'm looking forward to that :). Anyways, hopefully ya'll are doing good and I'll talk to you later!

51 minutes ago, sskieller said:

Sounds like you have a blast quitting video games ? 

I had a thought: Do you have any strategies set in place for when you do get urges to play again?

For sure! I'm tired but gaming was draining in a different way.

Not really a strategy but if I get the urge to play I'll just leave my computer, put it into sleep mode, start doing some homework, call someone or just ignore it. It takes a lot of resolve and willpower. I've tried quitting gaming before and it didn't work out at all but I think it's working out so well this time because I've joined a forum where I can talk to others and I also have this goal I want to achieve regarding school and work. Not sure if this was useful but hopefully it helped in some way ?

29 minutes ago, EpicJ0J0 said:

Not really a strategy but if I get the urge to play I'll just leave my computer, put it into sleep mode, start doing some homework, call someone or just ignore it. It takes a lot of resolve and willpower.

Have you tried with the barriers that cam talks about? Like for example, installing Cold Turkey to block applications and websites, or Stay Focused on the phone to block access to Google Play Store for example, and then have someone else put a password on the blockers.

For me personally, I think that this is a huge help, because 1. I don't have to decide whether I want to game or not, because I can't unless I try really hard, 2. Usually I have had relapses in the past because I've failed my resolve just ever so slightly, and if I just had a little barrier more, then I probably wouldn't have relapsed at that time. It's more like making it harder, so you have more "time" to make a good decision instead of just falling into the games again. 

Anyways, that really works for me. 

Your idea of leaving the computer probably is quite a good strategy aswell and I really like that you think about it this way. On the resolve and willpower part however, just a little barrier can go a long way. ?

On 10/23/2019 at 1:35 PM, sskieller said:

Have you tried with the barriers that cam talks about? Like for example, installing Cold Turkey to block applications and websites, or Stay Focused on the phone to block access to Google Play Store for example, and then have someone else put a password on the blockers.

For me personally, I think that this is a huge help, because 1. I don't have to decide whether I want to game or not, because I can't unless I try really hard, 2. Usually I have had relapses in the past because I've failed my resolve just ever so slightly, and if I just had a little barrier more, then I probably wouldn't have relapsed at that time. It's more like making it harder, so you have more "time" to make a good decision instead of just falling into the games again. 

Anyways, that really works for me. 

Your idea of leaving the computer probably is quite a good strategy aswell and I really like that you think about it this way. On the resolve and willpower part however, just a little barrier can go a long way. ?

I have thought of the barriers and have looked at many but I just haven't found one I like really... I'll have to look into them again, thank you for the reminder. ?

10/24/2019 Day 18

Last two days have been great! I had a test today for my math class and I feel I got a B or an A so I'm really excited to see what the score will be tomorrow night. Getting ready to sign up for winter classes and going to a Japanese garden this weekend with some family. All in all, it should be a great weekend. ?

Feel free to chat and I'll make sure to get back to ya as soon as possible!

10/29/2019 Day 23

It's been 5 days since my last update? Man how time flies! Firstly, I'm doing great. Haven't played any games and have had very tiny urges that were quickly shoved aside. Now, on to other things that have happened. So, the trip to the Japanese garden was awesome, the trees and whatnot were in full fall colors and it just looked amazing. I got the score for my math test and that came to 94/100! I was so excited about this and it was a big morale boost in regards to school and a big project we did for the class as well came back at 100/100. It's just been a great week so far and I can't wait for what's to come. I'll talk to you guys later!

P.S. Feel free to chat, I'll be back.

• Like 1

11/1/2019 Day 26

Howdy folks! So not much has happened since my last entry except for an exam I took today and I've already received the score! It turns out I got a score of 93.65%! I was in shock when I saw this. I believe that if I had kept playing games while going to college that this wouldn't be happening because I would be wasting time playing the games instead of studying and preparing for tests. I did have a little urge to play some Overwatch but like normal I managed to push it aside rather fast and occupy myself with something else. Again thank you all for taking the time to read this and I look forward to chatting with you guys later!

• Like 1

11/4/2019 Day 29

Howdy folks, JoJo back with another diary entry. Most of the last 3 days were good except for yesterday evening. A couple days ago I had found out that Blizzard was going to be doing some gameplay stuff for Overwatch 2 and at first I ignored it but last night I ended up looking it up and watching videos of youtubers play it... That was not a good idea, I felt like I had to literally peel myself away from the computer to keep from downloading Overwatch again. I managed to pull away from it but that was the closest I've been to "failing" during this whole thing. Today is going good, I've been keeping myself busy with things beside the computer for the most part so I could recover from what happened yesterday and regain some control. Hopefully everything is good on your guys' end and I look forward to speeking with ya'll!

@Self made miracle Thank you!