NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Goal setting advice?

TwoSidedLife

Hey everyone,

Looking for a way to goal set more clearly? General tips are welcome too! 

Currently I:

• Use the smart method so it's already clear
  • Set 3 at a time each month (no yearly, it loses purpose quick and I feel trapped having to do a goal I don't like anymore)
  • Try to do something everyday at least for each of the three
  • Use a bullet journal

The problem i'm having is that I get bored of the goals really quick. I feel like i'd rather do something different everyday - with that said, there's things I like to do, but they become shitty and unenjoyable when they're part of a schedule. I hardly stick to my bullet either so I don't really mark off the days or track anything anymore. Are my goals not clear enough maybe? I'm struggling just to know if i'm even writting them down in the right place, since I hardly check the journal. I have no idea how to hold myself accountable for the goals, show myself my progress and remind myself. Has anyone come up with a goal setting strategy yet?

Sounds to me like you're just trying to take on way too much at once.

Instead of three goals, try one.

Instead of doing something everyday for those goals, try for once or twice a week.

Also, are these goals part of a grander plan? It's very easy to get bored of a goal if it isn't working towards something bigger. For example, a goal of meeting one new person every week for three months. It's a fine goal, but if there is no greater purpose behind it you easily lose motivation to do it.

Having long-term goals is extremely important. Those goals essentially define what you want out of life. Get married, start a family, buy a house, publish a book, start an online business that makes six figures, etc. These are the goal posts way down the line. Then you work backwards. You break down the long-term goals into actionable steps. Publish a book is the easy one for me so I'll give you an example:

Long term goal: publish a 75,000 word book on Amazon by December 31st, 2021

What do you need to publish a book? An Amazon publisher account, an editor, a manuscript, and enough time to work on it.

Let's say you need to give 6 months for editing. So your manuscript needs to be "done" by June 30th, 2021. From today, that gives you about 1 year and 8 months to pump out 75,000 words.

What do I need to do to make a 75,000 word manuscript? You need an idea, a plot, characters, a setting, a story outline, etc.

Let's say you need 3 months to come up with enough of a base to actually start writing a story. That gives you 1 year and 5 months to actually write your story. That's approximately 515 days, which means you need to write at least 146 words per day to reach that goal.

If you know broadly what you need to do then you can turn it into weekly action steps. The really easy one here is words per week. 1022 words per week to reach your goal. Organize a way to track that goal, even using something as simple as notepad. Then you do a weekly check in to see if you're on track, and if not, what you can do to get back on track.

You can break this down much more but essentially that's the way to go about setting goals that you'll actually work towards. You must start with a long-term goal that you actually care about. That part is REALLY important. If you don't care enough about it, you won't do it.

There's a big difference, by the way, between not caring about it and not being willing to put the effort in and it's a trap I've fallen into in the past. Many successful people have days where they feel like doing absolutely nothing towards their goals, but they push on regardless. I would argue that those are the days where it's THE MOST CRITICAL to go and do the thing, even if you don't get a whole lot done. The important thing is building up the habits that eventually get you to where you want to be, and that means consistent effort over a long period of time. You're going to have ebbs during that stretch and you need to find a way to prepare for that.

Edited by seriousjay