NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

How do you Meditate?

RB1

Looking for advice from experience meditators. I've given meditation a shot in the past, but don't really understand how it works besides relaxing, sitting still, and trying to clear my mind as best as possible. I've tried it with the intent to relax, feel more at peace, happier, focused, and to get rid of that hazy feeling of an overworked mind that we all get as gamers. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it doesn't really do anything, and sometimes I honestly feel more agitated afterwards since I can't clear my mind during meditation.

I've heard there are many different forms of it, but I don't really know what those other forms are and which sources to trust on the internet. I'm hoping for someone with experience to explain it better to a beginner like me and point to sources that may have worked for you.

I really want to begin to make meditation a part of my morning routine. I also want it to be the activity I default to when experiencing cravings. Does the second part sound reasonable at all? I know many people meditate in the morning as routine and I only heard good things about it.

• Like 1

Check out the Calm app.

Meditation is one of those things that you need to do for a long period of time to see real benefits. It's also important to understand that not every session is going to go "well". The point isn't how well it goes, but rather that you sit down and do it.

• Like 1

Running.

I know that might sound weird, but I have really found running to be a fantastic form of meditation for me. When I sit down and meditate I tend to fall asleep or can't get it to stick into my routine. But when I am running, it's just me and the road. There is something calming about focusing on your breathing, and the rhythm of left foot right foot left foot right foot, that suddenly I find myself in what I call my "happy place". It is sort of like a flow state but where I get crazy clarity on thinking about things. Sometimes I just enjoy the moment of pushing my body's endurance, sometimes I reflect on decisions or interactions I have made, and sometimes I create plans of what I want to do in the future. By having your whole body focused on a single task, with nobody around you, there is no way to get distracted. I can't shy away from whatever issue or feeling I am having - all I can do is embrace it.

My mind always feel so sharp afterwards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is no real "Users manual" for meditation.

Meditation is a form of help to find back to yourselve or to find yourselve at first.

Personally what helped me the most, is to stop thinking there is only one form of "real meditation".

You find out if meditation works, if you get calm and your thoughts and feelings change to be better.

• 4 weeks later...

The most simple meditation technique is simply observing your breathing and being conscious of it. You will be distracted by random thoughts that emerge in your mind BUT THAT'S OKAY. It's a mistake to think that distractions constitute as failure. Distractions will happen and they are normal. You goal is to notice (become conscious of) the fact that you got distracted and then return your focus on breathing. This process is the basis of meditation practice. From this you learn to control your attention, and notice when someone or something else is trying to control it (and control you at the same time).

You see, in my opinion there is no difference between consciousness and self-control, as anything that happens within you unwillingly is a product of the unconscious mind. Everything you control in yourself you are conscious of, so by practicing the self-control in meditation you are training your consciousness and expanding it. This will help you to integrate unconscious psychic contents into the conscious mind easier, thus assuring psychological development and removing the threat of psychic complexes gaining hazardous autonomy due to compensatory relationship between conscious and unconscious psychic systems. Everything that gets repressed from the conscious mind eventually fights to return to it, because as the law of conservation of energy states: energy can't be destroyed, it can only change forms.

Do not have any goals and presuppositions as you start the practice of meditation. The only way you can somehow "fail" meditation is if you don't do it at all.

12 hours ago, combatmatrix088 said:

The most simple meditation technique is simply observing your breathing and being conscious of it. You will be distracted by random thoughts that emerge in your mind BUT THAT'S OKAY. It's a mistake to think that distractions constitute as failure. Distractions will happen and they are normal. You goal is to notice (become conscious of) the fact that you got distracted and then return your focus on breathing. This process is the basis of meditation practice. From this you learn to control your attention, and notice when someone or something else is trying to control it (and control you at the same time).

You see, in my opinion there is no difference between consciousness and self-control, as anything that happens within you unwillingly is a product of the unconscious mind. Everything you control in yourself you are conscious of, so by practicing the self-control in meditation you are training your consciousness and expanding it. This will help you to integrate unconscious psychic contents into the conscious mind easier, thus assuring psychological development and removing the threat of psychic complexes gaining hazardous autonomy due to compensatory relationship between conscious and unconscious psychic systems. Everything that gets repressed from the conscious mind eventually fights to return to it, because as the law of conservation of energy states: energy can't be destroyed, it can only change forms.

Do not have any goals and presuppositions as you start the practice of meditation. The only way you can somehow "fail" meditation is if you don't do it at all.

This is really good way to do it. What I recommend is if you go on Spotify (or really any music streaming service) and look up a nature sound playlist. Once you do that, set up a 10 minute timer. You can focus on your breathing by doing the following: When you breathe in say to yourself "In", and when you exhale say to yourself "Out". Thoughts will come up randomly, the point isn't not to think, but rather to get wrapped up in it. Let's say your having a thought that's negative such as "I'm a loser", at this junction you have two options. The first is to continue with that thought and make up reasons as to why you are (which you aren't, let's get that straight). The second is to simply acknowledge you have that thought. Just observe you had that thought, like you would observe something mundane in the external world. Don't worry about getting "better" at meditation, that'll distract you. The first couple times you do it you'll have multiple thoughts and probably get wrapped up in them. However, you'll reach a point where you realize you're getting absorbed by that thought, and that's an accomplishment right there! Try to make it habit that you do daily. To get started though, commit to doing every two days. Daily practice will benefit you immensely. Keep in mind, that "meditation" (the act of sitting down, closing your eyes is what I'm referring to) is not the only way to meditate. You can achieve the same thing with exercise, or really anything that you focus on in the present moment. Speaking anecdotally, I find that when I don't meditate consistently, I get more stressed out and less able to focus. It's much like exercise, the more you do it, the more you get out of it. Try guided meditation for awhile (that's what I did), but after consistently doing it I actually find guided meditation to be more of a distraction now. Feel free to experiment, and most importantly, have fun and relax.

@RB1

I started out with guided sleep meditation, videos just out there on youtube. It's audio of someone who talks you through the experience of meditating, gives you food for thought and mantras. Usually there's music in it too, but they have voice only versions aswell if you prefer. You can find the same thing for guided morning meditation, or just guided meditation in general (they usually have themes tho).

Imo, until you understand how the process works through having that kind of guidance, it will feel so pointless and like nothing is happening if you do it alone without that kind of stimulis. I can do it by myself now that I understand how to get into that deep state easily. I prefer to do it with my own music now. The process is mainly to physically relax (more than you think you already are or could possibly be) and focus on your breathing.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:54 AM, RB1 said:

trying to clear my mind as best as possible

I think this is what's holding you back aswell. When you meditate, you shouldn't try to push any thoughts away. You should aim to just accept them and accept that it's happening. The way you clear your thoughts is to shift your focus on your breathing instead.

If we're going into different forms, I only know of these: Out of Body Experience / Astral Projection (Happened once when I was meditating, but is a different concept) and Hypnosis

I don't really enjoy hypnosis and it's different from meditation. It just repeats the same mantras while you sleep. Sometimes it did give me the promised effect in the morning but it feels weird. I stopped when I had a nightmare from one - I ignored a handful of comments of ppl saying they had a terrible nightmare from it. Also you never know if there's some hidden agenda behind it either.

• 1 year later...