NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

!Help needed in deleting my Steam account!

BePresent

I didn't even think that I would need to delete my Steam account, and now it horrifies me. I wasn't even aware that it means so much for me to have this account. Would it be alright to give it to some friend, but there is a risk I would ask to get it back, right? I am not sure how to do it. And what to tell to people in my friend list in there.

Any tips?

Thank you

Honestly it's probably for the best if you delete your account altogether, but at least for the 90 day detox, you can set up a temporary email, move your steam login credentials to that email and set the email and its password to your main email 90 days later using a future email service.

• Like 1

I'm doing this as at the moment and my god it was hard. However, I simply know that I cannot rely on myself to not go back into Steam and start up a game for a 'quick session'.

So, I've followed the steps provided and am now talking to steam support to get it shut down. There is 30 day period to wait until it is fully gone and then...that's it. 

I've also seen about gifting games to friends of mine who I know would like some of them.

It's a brutal move but it is a necessary one for us. I look at it like this, what am I actually losing? No one will care about achievements, gamer friends will get over it and it may even make some of them refocus on their own situations. You can tell them the truth and say you are re-evaluating your life and need time away from games. Or, simply don't say anything at all and ust cut the cord. Remember, a true friend will understand and be supportive. If not, then maybe you shouldn't be friends.

See it as a move toward freedom, think of all the things you will be able to now do and make new friends and new experiences. I myself am looking forward to making some rel-life friends and play sports, read more books, going to a boardgame cafe and get into some fitness classes.

I hope that helps but you got this and can do it. Think of the liberation on the other side and myself and everyone here to support you through this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 1:56 AM, NixAvernal said:

Honestly it's probably for the best if you delete your account altogether, but at least for the 90 day detox, you can set up a temporary email, move your steam login credentials to that email and set the email and its password to your main email 90 days later using a future email service.

Thank you for your advice, I actually ended up giving my account to my sister, I have been 14 days without gaming now, so far so good without gaming. There has been urges but social pressure of someone else holding my account surely helps, I think I am handling this. I say bye bye for games and welcome all the good things. 

Would you like to explain the 90 day detox to me? I don't know what is it and where to read about it?

On 9/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, DW1909X13 said:

I'm doing this as at the moment and my god it was hard. However, I simply know that I cannot rely on myself to not go back into Steam and start up a game for a 'quick session'.

So, I've followed the steps provided and am now talking to steam support to get it shut down. There is 30 day period to wait until it is fully gone and then...that's it. 

I've also seen about gifting games to friends of mine who I know would like some of them.

It's a brutal move but it is a necessary one for us. I look at it like this, what am I actually losing? No one will care about achievements, gamer friends will get over it and it may even make some of them refocus on their own situations. You can tell them the truth and say you are re-evaluating your life and need time away from games. Or, simply don't say anything at all and ust cut the cord. Remember, a true friend will understand and be supportive. If not, then maybe you shouldn't be friends.

See it as a move toward freedom, think of all the things you will be able to now do and make new friends and new experiences. I myself am looking forward to making some rel-life friends and play sports, read more books, going to a boardgame cafe and get into some fitness classes.

I hope that helps but you got this and can do it. Think of the liberation on the other side and myself and everyone here to support you through this.

Thank you, I have now deleted all friends in my Steam friendlist without telling anything and actually gave the account to my sister. It has been 14 days now since I quitted gaming and I am still clean, I have had some urges but I think I have got this. Social pressure helps. And yeah those "Quick sessions" are so notorious.

I have hidden my ps3 and ps3 games in the closet under a blanket, and I am also trying to sell my Furi game t-shirts so even they don't remind of gaming. Also deleted every game related youtube video and channel I had in my playlists, and all game related musics too. Even distancing myself from some animes like Sword Art Online because it is so game-focused. Being brutal and cold-turkey is the best and works well for me, I was never moderate with things.

I added one Steam friend to my other social account, but he has been very distant, I am definitely struggling with trying to fill the social void and to make new friends. Maybe one step at a time I will get there and fill that void. Actually your advice is good about what to say to those who ask why I quitted gaming. I am really concerned in ending up in conversation like that, I am avoiding Gym and seeing some irl friends cause they work in Game Industry developing games. I see it as problematic. I still have no idea how could I handle the situation to tell them that I have quit gaming. Just few months ago one of them was my boss and I was developing games as a programmer. I don't know how they would react so I am avoiding them. Would be really nice to see them though, but it is too scary for me to handle though. And gym would be amazing.

I also read as much as I find motivation to do it, watching lot of movies and series too. Focusing on health by cooking and doing mindfulness. Still need to do more sports and go out, I have taken some walks though which is great. Nature heals.

Thank you your post helped a lot. You got this as well. We have got this. I am not really afraid to go back to gaming at the moment. I am more concerned about how to make friends, sports and how to handle the new situation of entrepreneurship goal. You know, lot more scary than gaming, where you could just try and restart without consequences. but this is irl

I am here to support you and all others as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I would delete my account so I can truly move on and there is zero chance for a relapse but it is up to you, what you decide to do. I often believe and go for the more difficult and radical routes, as often they make you save time and efforts but they can be truly upsetting. I know I cried when I deleted my steam account but it helped me a lot in the end, with my gaming addiction. 

The choice is yours!