NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Spending too much time on passive activities (TV/ Web browsing). How can I change this?

senn

Hello, thank you for clicking on my post. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction; I have successfully manged to eliminate my gaming addiction but I have replaced it with something equally as wasteful of my time: mindless web browsing and hours of TV watching.

Perhaps you can view your browsing and TV watching as a step down while you were eliminating gaming. Now that you recognize that behavior is equally wasteful you can actively seek to reduce it as well. If you really struggle with this you might ask yourself "what needs is it fulfilling for me and where else /how else can I get them met?" Or am I trying to escape from something I'd rather not confront? 

• Like 2

For web browsing I highly recommend installing ColdTurkey (getcoldturkey.com) because if you set your own parameters strict enough (i.e. don't fool yourself and put in all the websites that you consider as time wasters), it's very hard to beat (unless you completely de-install it). It helps me a lot because I most of those sites (sports pages, youtube, etc...) I go to almost instinctively without being an active choice - ColdTurkey confronts me with that (if banned) or limits the time I can spend on them. For my phone I installed equally time limits on all entertainment or browsing apps. 

Main effect for me is that it's a first of all a constant confrontation and alert on the time waisted already on a day, second effect is that by blocking out all easy go-to distractions, I'm forcing myself to really do something else, because my go-to's are not available anymore. Will power is great, but there are plenty tools to help a little. 

It always helped me to set a timelimit. Like 1 hour a day for enternainment.

It is hard, becouse you get to miss all the good stuff at first.

But after a while I did stop to rate entertainment as important as before.

I realized I miss something all day. But the stuff I do for myselve is more liberating than watching a show etc.