NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Patriot Act takes on the gaming industry

NannerZ

Hey everyone. One of my favorite Netflix shows is 'Patriot Act' with Hasan Minhaj. It's a comedy web television talk show that "aims to explore the modern cultural and political landscape with depth and sincerity" It's a fresh, funny and eye-opening look at global issues that matter. I almost always learn something and it's very entertaining. Last week I was surprised and intrigued to see the newest episode titled "The Dark Side of the Video Game Industry" I thought it might be a good idea to share it here in case anyone might be interested in learning about how some of the games we used to play are made. This episode doesn't deal with video game addiction, it mostly deals with game development issues such as, employee layoffs & labor exploitation, the micro transaction model,  gender discrimination, and unionization of game designers. I had no idea how badly these employees were being taken advantage of. It's certainly adds to my distaste of the gaming industry. There are a few clips of Fornite at the end of the episode, but I went ahead and time stamped the episode so if you don't want to see game play you can avoid it and still watch the episode. There are a few NSFW jokes in the episode as well.

1:05 Growth of the gaming industry
2:14 Twitch Streaming
3:55 Employee layoffs & labor exploitation
9:30 The micro transaction model
11:40 Colleges taking advantage of 'passion for video games'
12:33 Gender discrimination
17:20 Unionization of game developers
22:00 Fortnite clips - You can safely skip the rest of the episode at this point.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...