NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Introduction of a Retired Speedrunner

Hey;

My name is Kris and I'm from Colorado and my favorite color is blue. Now you have enough information about me to write your own hip hop classic!

Gaming has been a part of my life for a long time and, especially during and after college, I got swept up by the internet. While this was great because I did meet my eventual life partner, there are a lot of flaws too, and these flaws have come to a head. 4 years ago my gaming got "serious" with Counter Strike and I tried to become super good at it (this was when I launched my teaching career and, that was a tough year). After that obsession I moved on to speedrunning games and Smash Bros., once again taking the games out of their natural context and obsessively perfecting the execution of them to become among the best. For a while that even mattered to me.

My journey this year has been of rebirth in many aspects, and this week I reached a point where I began to look hard at my technological involvement and after reading up on Stoicism and the ideas of doing things that matter for the greatest good possible, I found this place and I took it as a sign that it was time. Today I performed my last stream and did my last speedrun. After that, and allowing the guilt and disgust to flow, I began the 90 day detox. I firmly commit to it right now!

I want to reconnect with what makes me happy, like taking care of our house and relationship, reading books to improve myself, playing instruments again (yeah, I was the music teacher that practiced video games! While it may earn brownie points with kids, it definitely doesn't help when you try to improvise piano in front of them!!!)

That about sums up as much as I want to share in a public space like this! Thanks for giving the space to talk here!

Kris

• Like 3

:337_fire:  Glad to have you here Colorado Kris, video games & addiction here we dis.
        I dig Linux do you GNU? That is an amazing color that deep vibrant blue.    :337_fire:

:12_slight_smile: I got slightly into speedrunning & setting unique challenges myself just to make the old games feel fun and challenging again. Really glad I woke up to the fact it was all doing me a disservice anyhow so happy none of that needs to be on my mind anymore. Good decision going for the detox best of luck. :286_four_leaf_clover:

For your reference to help along the way here is ..
A welcoming statement :230_hatched_chick:
In preparation for a 90 day detox and beyond ..
First move the consoles & games out of sight so it stays out of mind ..
This includes uninstalling them from the computer & devices! ..
Once it is done you can move on from there & a lot easier I might add.

Getting rid of the games for good enabled me to finish the detox strong, consider that.
After that you need to teach yourself how else to spend that free time!
Make sure you are eating healthy, getting daily exercise, & proper sleep ..
NUTRITION - big minefield of controversy I personally am behind a plant-based diet ..
This upcoming documentary backed by Producers Arnold Schwarzenegger & Jackie Chan ..
Check it out ✌️ I won't respond in forum to this topic but you are welcome to message me ..
Find some hobbies to replace the time gained ..

https://gamequitters.com/hobby-tool/
Start some kind of journal with pen & paper, online here, or both! ..
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/topic/3160-guidelines-templates
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/forum/11-daily-journals/
Do consider checking out the Respawn program offered here as well ..
For what little cost think about that return on investment! ..

Cross-examine other areas in your life you find consuming your time ..
Excessive consumption is what leads to the time crippling addictions ..
Replace such excessive consumerism by using your free time to create.
Our one life, the time that we have is meant for so much more than feeding addictions ..
You might not identify as an addict and that is fine ..
If you are here for any reason to quit video games that is still a benefit to you
Thank you for signing up and joining our united cause to make the most of our time --
Give this your best and I am sure you will do well :93_punch:
Welcome to the forums!! @BrassWolf

Neil,  Ex-Gamer Addict,  Gamequitters Member :1602_bicyclist_tone3:
Direct Message Me,  Discord Support Chat

Article: How To Quit Playing Video Games :1517_runner_tone3:
Article: Four Reasons We Played Video Games
Article: Alternative Activities By Game Genre :1582_surfer_tone3:

Article: Why You Should Detox
Find a Video Game Addiction Therapist :1512_walking_tone3:
Download A Gamequitters Podcast
Read A Gamequitters Blog ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Neil! Really appreciate the details and inspiration!

During this last year especially I've honestly slowly taken the time away from games, but as an educator, once that summer clicks I went into full on game mode. I am so grateful my students challenged me in a way that I was able to gain emotional awareness for the first time in 29 years. Over the year I have put a lot of time into researching mental health and gaining strategies and tools to process and acknowledge emotions, instead of burying them as I always had (because I didn't know that is what I was doing!)

I'm processing how exactly I want to journal but I definitely will be doing that.

Be well and I'm sure I will see you around!

-Kris

• Like 1

Thanks for the message, James!

AS part of my philosophical dig I have been looking deep into the beliefs of stoicism and today's thoughts are in honor of memento mori, the practice of realizing our mortality and finding the inspiration in all parts of life, living life as full as possible. I'll be starting my journaling in private to be honest, but may start a thread at some point to share as well.

-Kris