NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Procrastination

Jordan2020

What do you guys do when you first start the 90 day no gaming detox. I have no sense of purpose. I create many routines that end up failing because I have so much to do. I look at my daily list and I run away and go play video games. How am I supposed to do what I need to do to be a success if I just wake up everyday ready to be productive and work on my life but instead I say screw this I am going to watch Netflix for worse play video games. 

Well, first things first, to answer your last question, I don't know how you're going to be a success if you give up on your plans and say screw it, and then play video games or Netflix. You should not do that. That will not help you, but you already know that.

It sounds like you're trying to create a lot of new habits at once. That's great, but that can be kind of difficult depending on which habits you are trying to create. As far as I understand it, the current state of research into willpower is that it is a finite resource, but one that can be trained with time. If you have little willpower to start, and expect yourself to be an unfailing machine with your new routine, you're probably mistaken. 

What you can try doing, is start with one new habit a week, and make the goal of that habit as easy as possible to implement. For example, if you wanted to start working out more, don't say you will run a marathon a day, say you will run for a minute every day, and actually run every day. If you want to, you can run for more than a minute, but you at least have to run every day for a minute. The next week, increase your goal, and after a few weeks, start implementing another habit.

And most importantly, enjoy the process of improving, and congratulate yourself when you do. You're going to need to replace the dopamine of the internet/video games from something else, so you want self-improvement to be your new, more helpful habit. If you want, create a loose weekly schedule to start. I just started doing this recently and I find it helpful.

Finally, the four habits I would suggest you start first if you haven't started doing so already are working out, meditating, reading, and being social. These are key habits that really help me when I stay on point with them. 

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, Jordan2020 said:

I look at my daily list and I run away and go play video games. 

I've been here. As recently as this weekend. 

This is what I'm going to do and to the guys who have been game-free for awhile, let me your hear thoughts:

Break up my one hour tasks into sets of 3. And put three tasks on each day except Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday and Sunday, I'll double to 6 because that's my weekend. When I complete a task, I'm going to reward myself (probably something sweet for now because dopamine is dopamine, right?).

The key is the reward though, I believe. I tried rewarding myself with gaming; thought I could use my addiction against itself. Trust me; it makes it worse.

The second week, I'll have to complete all three tasks to get the reward.

Third week, add a fourth task and so on and so forth.

@Jordan2020, I've tried to quit a million times. I'm really hopeful this time because I invested in the Respawn class. I think just having that investment will help me complete my tasks as well (because my initial tasks are just Respawn videos, worksheets and household chores). If you need someone to talk to before you decide to slack off, I'll help keep you accountable. DM me if you're interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Find a new hobby as #1. Like, a brand new one, not one you already had. That way you need to put a bit of effort into it every day or so to get better at it, and you get the feedback loop of improving over those 90 days. Kind of replacing the digital feedback loop with an actual feedback loop.

1 hour ago, giblets said:

Find a new hobby as #1. Like, a brand new one, not one you already had. That way you need to put a bit of effort into it every day or so to get better at it, and you get the feedback loop of improving over those 90 days. Kind of replacing the digital feedback loop with an actual feedback loop.

I agree, find a new hobby. It doesn't have to be something you love. Just something that's interesting. Today is my first day. I'll let you know how it goes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a real good video about that topic:

First, try to find out what's the reason for Procastination, then try to fight that reason.

It is ok to be entertained from time to time. But set a timelimit like 1h a day. So you can either spend that time playing LoL or watching a movie. Yes you can not watch the movie to the end, but you need to learn to control your curiosity about all the entertainment stuff wich is out there.

Edited by creationlist