NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

A Road to a more exciting Life

Those are some awesome goals--looks like you've already gotten off to a good start on them. And congrats on finishing exams!

Personally, I have such a love-hate relationship with tinder. That app is so addicting at first but quickly becomes pretty unsatisfying to use, and in my experience it really hindered my motivation to talk to girls in person. So good decision cutting it from your goals!

• Like 1

Day 17/18:

So this is the first of my bi dayly reports. The last 2 days were full of looking at code then changing it seeing that it doesnt work and then cussing. Who could have thought that writing a master thesis about the cutting edge of machine learning could be this hard. Not gone lie this can be quite frustrating and if i would still play games i would probably try to escape the agony by escaping into the relaxing world of video games. But since this is no longer a option i make progress - very very slow and frustrating progress.

On a more positive note my yoga mat arived and yoga realy helps to get a good start in the day. The star wars theme i started last week on the cello sounds now acceptable and i might record something soon - iam still not sure what iam gone practice next maybe something from game of thrones or maybe the imperial march sticking with the star wars theme.  I also got a new chalorie tracking app the last one was quite anoying. 

Week 3 goals :

- (Master:) Train first Variable auto encoder Network with eeg data    Finished the algorithm for a VAE for the MNIST dataset and understood how to sample the latent space

- Start with to practice a new piece :468_violin:: Only practiced old songs couldnt decied on a new one yet

• Like 2

HTisMpC.jpg.9c47a65872937381b0154e121307c915.jpg

No but seriously you got this! No matter how much the going sucks now, it couldn't possibly be worse than how you felt when you were deep in the gaming addiction. 

And yoga sounds awesome. I've honestly been thinking about doing that myself sometime.

• Like 1

@Deku Lol that image realy got a good giggle out of me thx ?

@JustTom Yes machine learning. I try to augment EEG Data with Variable autoencoder to improve the performance of a Brain Computer Interface. - What is your thesis about?

Day 19/20:

Holy shit it got extemly hot here in Germany.  Beeing traped infront of code at hot days is not the most fun as you might imagine. But the possitve part is i made some progress on my VAE code. The breakthrough on Wendsday was a big help and today i got my first VAE with EEG data to work - the loss function needs proably some changes aswell as the disign of the layers. But No errors is a victory in my book. Yesterday i prepeared/prepocessed the data for the EEG VAE today - could  probably have done a bit more but i was a bit lazy mainly because i was so proud i figured out how the latent space works the day before.

On the sport front i keep the skating up, but since the temperture would boil you alive if you go outside in the middle of the day i have to wait till the evening to go skating, normaly between 9-10pm. Its actully quite a nice time for skating the sun is setting at this point and there arnt that many people on my skating track and as soon as i come back it gets dark.  

I finaly decided what i will play next on the Cello. Its a Game of Thrones piece well actully 2 songs to be more accurate. Normly to warm up the fingers i play a simplified version of the Reign of Castamere(the Lannister Song (see  Red Wedding(Spoiler) background song: https://youtu.be/ZnxvUuSzbMI?t=63)) but i found the original notes for the song combined with the Theme song. The Original Reign of Castamere notes are quite a bit more complicated then my simplifed notes. This makes on the one hand sound much fuller and generly nicer to listen to but also way harder to play. There are fast jumps and at the end a tricky string crossing. Trying to get the string crossing correct took me 30 min today and its only like 8 notes and its still not perfect.

The Second part of the Notes is the Game of Thrones Theme song you proably all know. This Song was one of the main reasons i started to play Cello 2,5 years a go. I tryed different versions of it in the past but they either didnt sound good because the notes were crap or in other cases i just sounded crap. The problem with the Theme is that it is written for 2 Cellos and until now i hadnt found a version sounds accaptalbe with one cello(obviously i  am alone here so i need a version for 1 Cello). I think this version i found now is proably the best i found so far. I will give it a go. I realy want this to sound good and worthy of the song that inspired my to start this. 

Week 3 goals :

- (Master:) Train first Variable auto encoder Network with eeg data    VAE for EEG implemented and it ran (didnt do quite what i wanted it to but alteast it ran)

- Start with to practice a new piece  :468_violin:  Found the Notes for a new version of Reigns of Castamere(Lenistersong) and the Game of Thrones Theme this will be a bit of longer project to get them perfect if i have Reigns of Castamere in a acceptable condition i will upload something

• Like 1

Awesome work on the cello haha. And progress with coding, too. It's all very productive, and if there's something great to remember, it's how much you're actually accomplishing which is quite a lot! You're doing really well!!

Looking forward to your next entry.

• Like 1

Day 21/22:

Ok its now 3 Weeks without gaming. And i am happy to report all cravings and urges have completly stopped. In the first 2 weeks i often had the disire to play when iam board but this is now completly gone. When iam board i just kind of do something - it sounds stupid but if iam extremly board i may just stand up and walk around in my room. Its not something i do concously it just kind of happens. 

I still watch youtube videos that cover gaming sometimes and in the first 2 weeks i would always have that tingling feeling that i could do that aswell i would just need to start up steam and... But now i can report thats gone aswell. I am quite happy with this development this makes not gaming quite a bit easyer. Lets hope it stays this way  and that iam over the hardest part.

On a different note: I tryed a bunch of stuff of stuff to get the VAE to work wiht eeg data on day 21 but nothing realy worked that was a bit depressing but i found out a few new things about how keras works on my way into madess. 

Day 22 was filled with a reading a bunch of papers on how a vae may be improved and how they work on a more mathemeticly level. 

On the Cello front: the reigns of casamere notes are realy nice and the parts that i can play already sound wonderful but the end is quite tricky. Iam not so sure about the game of thrones note they sound rather bland i dont know like something is missing. 

Week 3 goals :

- (Master:) Train first Variable auto encoder Network with eeg data    VAE for EEG implemented  still doesnt work  as planed proably need to talk to my advisor

- Start with to practice a new piece  :468_violin:  Reign of catamere is comming along but the jumps at the end are realy fucking hard

• Like 2

Day 23/24/25/26/27:

Sorry everyone i went full underground this week. I was quite stressed this week. The master thesis isnt going well... and my advisor is extremly hard to conncet. The good thing is that i just started to i could still switch the topic. I will probably still try it a bit but i decieded that i want to be prepared if this isnt working out with the current topic -just in case i sent out a bunch of emails to different professors this week and was in the official help council of my university to get some advice which was not realy helpfull so i have to figure this out on my own which is frustrating i dont know i would have liked to talk to someone about it. In the beachlor programm we had someone were we could go with such problems but in the master program we theoreticly have one of those aswell but he will only help you with minor problems for the rest you are on your own. 

I already got some answers from some professors back to my request for possible topics and some of them seem to remember me and seem like they would be very happy to work with me on some topics - its a much more welcomeing athmosphere then my current thesis professor.

I didnt push the cello super hard this week since the stress and frustation with the thesis but i did some progress on the rain of castamere and it seems the second half of the Game of thrones notes are a bit boring i might have to do some edeting there to make them sound better.

Week 4/5 goals :

- Master 1. goal   try to get in contact with the currenct advisor to see if i can save the sinking ship

- Master 2. goal prepare for the worst meet up in person with everyone who responded to potential new topics

- perfect Reign of Castamere and try to record it   :468_violin:

- modifiy the second half of the Game of Throne notes so they dont sound so boring

• Like 2

Best of luck. The masters thesis is a mountain (thank God I don’t have to do it!) but you’re home free once you’re on the other side. You can do it! And I think it’s a great idea you’re seeking out all the help you can get. Many university professors have this really strict and unapproachable facade but I have never met one that would not put in the time to help me if I really needed it (especially in grad school).

• Like 1