NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Is Quitting Gaming And Doing Digital Media Instead Just As Dumb?

sadfsafsdfsd

So I find a lot of times immediately after I quit video games I install music production and graphic production software. When I watch youtube videos on video game addiction i see other people do this as well. And it's starting to make me cringe. It seems like they (and myself) replace gaming with yet another antisocial computer obsessed activity that devotes tons of time dicking around in software to distract them from going outside. What do y'all think about that? Do you think people who quit games and get into digital music or graphics are making yet another dumb decision to avoid getting better?

Edited by sadfsafsdfsd
typo

The point is to be able to control your life and live consciously, not abstain from technology. Once gaming becomes a problem, it's a fully unconscious activity, you just do it like a zombie, to get hits of instant gratification. You don't create anything, you don't help anybody, you don't develope your talents, you don't make your life fulfilled, you just game to waste time and satisfy urges. Audio/visual production is the complete opposite. It requires focus and a lot of effort, has steep learning curves, rewards come after long time of hard practice, etc. It is a consciouss activity through which you create something for others or if you're good enough, you can sell. It also develops the creative imagination, develops a useful real world skill etc. 

I would agree that it's important to not become a hermit and just sit at home producing music(although there are artists like that). There is a balance to be found between being social and outdoorsy vs. working hard on your computer producing things. Also depends on your goals and at what point you are in life and in your head. 

TL;DR: No. Not even close.

• Like 3

Yeah I agree that it helps advance your skills in some way and challenges you, so I don't think its dumb. I think the difference is that - Gaming can't translate smoothly and properly into real life skills. Whereas if you learnt a lot about a specific program, you make yourself more valuable money and career wise. I wanted to get more into making music digitally, mixing it and ect. i've got great music skills irl with the electric guitar. But i'm very new to mixing it digitally and all, I have to learn it from scratch (But later up that learning curve, my music skills'll make it easier). Messing around with just my guitar from all the times I was grounded was also how I got so good. The learning process is never perfect. Messing around while 'trying' to learn is also a way of having fun too - It improves your memory which helps you learn better.

I tried programming, i've stopped for now because I don't have any personal benefits from it, don't really enjoy it and don't have any projects i'm wanting to do with it. Currently am doing digital image manipulation tho and i've been enjoying it, my whole goal with that is to sell designs on a website and earn some passive income.

I do school online, so i'm stuck at home and in front of a computer a lot. My only activities away from it are just doing chores, going a bit beyond those chores, exercising, playing an instrument, some gardening (At the least, i'll just go outside and pick up garbage) and working on some house projects I came up with. When I get the money, i'm gonna buy some books too to read outside. Reflect on yourself, find your morals, what matters to you and set yourself some small goals. I feel fulfilled morally just from making our house cleaner and looking nice for my family (Who're usually out most of the time), even tho before I hated doing any kind of chore. Been thinking about volunteering and i'll work up to that at some point. Also try out some things that you've never done to see if they interest you.

From what I can tell, you sound passionate about living a more connected life.

• 1 month later...

I do digital media....... It definitely has replaced gaming, for I work long hours producing, editing and contacting everyone between the company. It also is really nice because I’m creating deeper friendships with the people I work with ( we have to use meetings to communicate). I feel as though the work is sort of like gaming, since I’m on the computer, then again I’m actually gaining a skill I can use in the future, helping a team with my skills and making friendships....

I do miss gaming though. I find myself at home sometimes bored. I haven’t put up my gaming systems, but I’m finally aware of when I want to play games and what I do to shake the urge off.... I look up new tutorials or look up events in the city.... sometimes I even go to Craigslist up pick up a few jobs on the side.

@JustTom nailed it.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, JustTom said:

You don't create anything

vs.

It also develops the creative imagination, develops a useful real world skill

Really, it comes down to the why and how. Are you using it to actually build something? And are you making an effort to get better?

If you answered yes to both of those questions, then your adventure into creative design is a hell of a lot better than gaming. If no, then digital media creation is only better because it doesn't have nearly the capacity for "time loss" or addiction

• 10 months later...

The point is to be able to control your life and live consciously, not abstain from technology.

Such a good point and one that is lost upon the larger recovery community! It seems crazy to tell an addict that abstaining from drugs or their behavior isn't the point but from my perspective that's true. I'm a recovering alcoholic and it's never been about abstaining from alcohol for me, it's been about rebuilding my life in a way that makes me proud to be me. Because of this, and I do credit it as being the sole reason and teach it in all of my peer recovery groups, I have never had even one urge to relapse in the last two years. Unfortunately I faltered a bit and gaming became a crutch but I'm applying the same mentality to that and so far so good.