NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hello, Game Quitters!

I'm 17 years old and have been gaming since before I can remember. 

I've been thinking about quitting games for a while but I just kept getting back into it because I justify it as not being so bad. Just a fun pastime. But quitting gaming is going to be a bigger step for me. I want to get out of the vicious cycle I've established: games have been a place of deep escape for me, allowing me to cope with my parents divorcing, and living with my Dad who struggles to accept my being gay. I never had many friends, and in my Grade 12 year of high school when I moved with my dad to a new school I never even bothered interacting much with people. Just surface level: I never went out with people or did much with anyone. I was just stubbornly gaming and forgetting about it. Fortunately, I am smart enough to have academic success without doing much actual work. 

But as I move into university, I want to apply myself and explore everything there is to offer: I want to specialize and learn as much as I can. This summer I am going to take some concrete steps towards that life. Today I'm going to apply for a summer job (one close by my house as I don't drive--it scares me) and start my 90-day gaming detox. I want to take up yoga as well, but my old Dad looks at it as some weird thing just for girls. I don't blame him: he's an older parent an is concerned only with making sure I'm not uncomfortable. But yoga is something I want to do.

For my detox, I know that I will be surrounded by temptations. I deleted the youtube app on my phone but I still have constant suggestions for gaming news. On my computer, I watch stuff like Game Quitters, but still, here are all those old Gaming channels "recommended for you". And beyond that, I listen primarily to video game soundtracks for music and I see video game stuff in everything: it takes the odd trigger that gives me the image of a game in my head, and I start thinking "Yeah, I can play some of that." But I want to go without gaming: I want to detox properly, so I can discover who I am capable of becoming beyond gaming. 

One of the goals I've set for myself is to start reading like crazy. I'm going into psychology and philosophy at university, so I'll be doing a lot of reading. And I'm excited! But my goal this summer is to read all of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago. It's a huge book that will require much fortitude to read: I want to prove that fortitude to myself as I read. Yesterday I read until my eyes couldn't focus anymore, and got maybe a fifteenth of the way through it. 

I think one of the biggest (and hardest) steps for me will be developing a social network and opening up my little introverted bubble. That way I will have people to talk to instead of video game characters, as I've had all my life (I played single-player games.) That's why I joined this community: I want some help. I'm going to keep a regular journal on here and look for some people I can talk to, no more isolation for me! Thanks for reading this super long one. 

• Like 6

Dude it's okay to be different. Trust me! I do not condemn people. You picked up Yoga? Go for it. 

BTW perfect app for youtube: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/remove-recommendations-yo/hfnghnjkcpgagjbiheidccjnneoipbmb

The extension hides YouTube Vk Facebook recommendations. It is enough to put a check mark in the necessary position.

Check some books about manliness if you want: 

https://www.amazon.com/King-Warrior-Magician-Lover-Rediscovering/dp/0062506064

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-John-Book-about-Men/dp/0306824264/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=robert+bly&qid=1562176188&s=books&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Superior-Man-Challenges-Anniversary/dp/1622038320/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=david+deida&qid=1562176203&s=books&sr=1-1

I'm not fan of Deida but give it try.

@Alex Nevins welcome aboard you are certainly in the right place, taking the time you would otherwise spend sedated on video games will build you up & get you far!

For your reference to help along the way here is ..
A welcoming statement :230_hatched_chick:
First move the consoles & games out of sight so it stays out of mind ..
This includes uninstalling them from the computer & devices! ..
Once it is done you can move on from there & a lot easier I might add.

Getting rid of the games for good enabled me to finish the detox strong, consider that.
After that you need to teach yourself how else to spend that free time!
Make sure you are eating healthy, getting daily exercise, & proper sleep ..
NUTRITION - big minefield of controversy I personally am behind a plant-based diet ..
This upcoming documentary backed by Producers Arnold Schwarzenegger & Jackie Chan ..
Check it out ✌️ I won't respond in forum to this topic but you are welcome to message me ..
Find some hobbies to replace the time gained ..

https://gamequitters.com/hobby-tool/
Start some kind of journal with pen & paper, online here, or both! ..
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/topic/3160-guidelines-templates
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/forum/11-daily-journals/
Cross-examine other areas in your life you find consuming your time ..
Excessive consumption is what leads to the time crippling addictions ..
Replace such excessive consumerism by using your free time to create.
Our one life, the time that we have is meant for so much more than feeding addictions.
Thank you for your interest to quit video games ..
Perhaps such bold action will inspire others to great deeds as well =)
Welcome to the forums!!

Neil,  Ex-Gamer Addict,  Gamequitters Member
My Profile Direct Message Me,  Discord Support Chat
My Journal My Introduction

Edited by goodvibes

On 7/3/2019 at 7:09 AM, Alex Nevins said:

I think one of the biggest (and hardest) steps for me will be developing a social network and opening up my little introverted bubble.

Welcome to the community! 

I feel your pain on that. Gaming detox was like step 1, then other challenges come after. You got this!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Good luck with your plans and stay strong in your goals! Your post really reminded me of myself 10 years ago actually ?

17 years old is still a very good age to change things around and you dont really want to spend your university years in front of computer games! Have you tried going to meetups (there are plenty of websites you can use, meetup.com, couchsurfing.org etc.) I remember when I quit games for the first time (at your age) this is what I started doing.  Signing up for some social sports (yoga is perfect) is also very important. good luck