James Good

Question of the week: Have you ever tried meditation?

I've had a love/hate relationship with meditation since I first found out about it a few years ago.

It's one of those habits I know I need to do every day, and I definitely feel much better when I do it, but I've always struggled to actually turn it into a habit.

When I meditate, even for 10 minutes, I'm much more focused, relaxed, and have much greater clarity. So, why can't I make it a habit? Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not sure if it's because I don't really see any progress in the same way I would if I tried to learn a language every day. Or maybe I just can't be bothered and I'm too lazy to make it a habit. I know which one I'm leaning towards.

Have you ever tried meditating? Or better yet, is it a part of your current routine? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, especially if it's already a part of your daily life. Right now I'm doing it every 3 or 4 days, and would really like to make it a daily thing.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

• Like 1

After I quit pot and went into withdraws, the insomnia was becoming unbareable. I heard about meditation plenty of times but always brushed it off. I tried it that night since I was desperate for a solution (The withdraws made me very restless too). Slept so easily and so well, it was the magic bullet. Ever since that night, I kept on meditating before I slept (Sleep meditations). Sticking with it for sleep, I also experienced other things like floating, euphoria, deep peace of mind and a great place for personal reflection.

Experiencing those things was a great replacement for pot and is what helped me stay quit. It was free, beneficial, didn't make me paranoid, wasn't runining my life ect. Meditation can be such a deep experience and so different too. I remember having very euphoric highs (Like ecstacy) and also an out of body experience once (I didn't realise at the time).

Was a habit everynight for over 6 months. It's not a habit anymore tho. Sometimes I go back when i'm anxious or can't sleep. I stopped because I could go well over an hour without realising and it cut into my sleeptime (Began to annoy me lol).  2hrs felt like 20 mins. The audio would've stopped ages ago too without me realising for over 40 mins. Mainly when I put myself in the 'meditative' state now, it keeps me very awake, rather than putting me to sleep.

I should make proper time to meditate again. I've never tried it at any other time of the day.

I've known for at least 5 years that it's a huge mental and cognitive benefit, but never got around to actually doing it. Partially gaming, partially not being patient and trying to rush things when I'm doing good. It's part of my to-implement list of habits. One at a time though. 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:02 AM, James Good said:

Have you ever tried meditating? Or better yet, is it a part of your current routine? 

Yes, I tried meditating for health class back in 11th grade and playing instruments don't count due to noise. Reading counts as a part of the meditation, so does journaling. The trial lasted for 21 days due to one person from TedEd Talks.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:22 AM, TwoSidedLife said:

Was a habit everynight for over 6 months. It's not a habit anymore tho. Sometimes I go back when i'm anxious or can't sleep. I stopped because I could go well over an hour without realising and it cut into my sleeptime (Began to annoy me lol).  2hrs felt like 20 mins. The audio would've stopped ages ago too without me realising for over 40 mins. Mainly when I put myself in the 'meditative' state now, it keeps me very awake, rather than putting me to sleep.

I should make proper time to meditate again. I've never tried it at any other time of the day.

It's interesting that you actually had the opposite problem most people I have. 

I've never done it before I go to bed but I can imagine it impacting my sleep quite dramatically. I'd highly recommend meditating in the morning, especially before work. It gives you a great sense of clarity and focus, which really helps me to be productive and get into the right mindset to start the day.

22 hours ago, JustTom said:

I've known for at least 5 years that it's a huge mental and cognitive benefit, but never got around to actually doing it. Partially gaming, partially not being patient and trying to rush things when I'm doing good. It's part of my to-implement list of habits. One at a time though. 

I was in the same boat, and I think I tried to do too much when I started meditating, which made me get frustrated when I couldn't meditate for a long time and became impatient. Should definitely be a part of your future daily routine, even if you just do it for 5 minutes.

5 hours ago, Natalie said:

Yes, I tried meditating for health class back in 11th grade and playing instruments don't count due to noise. Reading counts as a part of the meditation, so does journaling. The trial lasted for 21 days due to one person from TedEd Talks.

Did you notice any benefits from it? And do you think you'll try it again in the future?

• Like 1

I try to meditate once in a while. Mostly guided though. Guided is when there is a soothing background sound and someone speaking calmly to one while I am meditating. Its very nice 🙂

James Good said: "Did you notice any benefits from it? And do you think you'll try it again in the future?"

My answer: Yes, it reduces the amount of stress I have. And I will do it again in the future.

Edited by Natalie