Do you live with your parents or on your own?

Do you live with your parents or on your own?

I still living with my parents. I'm little bit stuck right now but I'm going to change this. For truth I'm little bit ashamed for this and it's sign that I must get my sh*t together. 

Edited by Guest

I do, yeah. Although I'm moving to Thailand in a couple of months.

I don't like living here at all. Their house is in a tiny rural town in the English countryside, and there's no one in the town who shares the same interests as I do. I also feel trapped here, and it's very easy for me to become demotivated, which is why it's so important for me to have a workspace outside of the house. 

Despite all of that, I'm so incredibly grateful that they let me live in their house. My parents have always been there for me when I needed it most, when I've always been at my lowest point. It's also impossible for me to stay up late or do dumb shit, which is another great bonus. 

I'll definitely miss them when I leave, but I think I'm finally in a place where I can make it work. Previous times I'd live alone didn't work out too well!

• Like 2

Why to Thailand if I may ask? 

Dude we are like twins which never met 😄 I live in small village but I have city within reach.(15 km?) I have exact problem with young people because my friends left country or take drugs or move out. I love my parents and I am grateful be with them but you know. Young man want to make things on your own. If I may ask what are you doing for living? I work at laboratory as assistant laboratory technician but i need move forward. I want to focus on english language and I think alout about web development. Start to learn or dont. 

I've been living by myself for 2 years now. If you feel ashamed about living with parents, realize that this is nothing more than an insecurity. Look at real, rational reasons for why would want to and not want to live there and then make decisions from there, not because the society tells you how some things should be. For me, living with my parents is a bit of a toxic environment, it's not horrible, but certainly not optimal. It also makes me not want to even try to bring a girl home. But, in case I want to have a very low-cost few months to build a business or a career in music, which requires a period of no-income ramp-up, I know I can always go live with my dad and mother in law and I'd have no problem with that. So, I'd look at actual, real pros and cons, not something like "I'm too old to live with my parents" bullcrap. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 2

@JustTom Thank you for your opinion. Yeah I saw that old fashioned way as you mentioned at the end of the post. Maybe I need to prove myself that I can make living for my own.  Sometimes I hate that questioning where you go? or what are you going to do? Why you came that late etc. 

I was living with roommates for about 1,5 years, coming home only for weekends. Now I'm 21, back to living with my parents for about 1 year and I give them about 1/2 of the living expenses I'd have to cover normally. I think I'd prefer living alone, but the rent is hard to cover with anything less than a full-time job and I'd rather put that option aside, as long as I've some money saved up from before. I'm gonna go to Iceland to step out of my shadow soon though, so I'll have a blast, at least for a few weeks. If I had a girlfriend within a reasonable radius, I'd probably move in with her somewhere on the 50/50 basis.

My parents are fairly reasonable to get along with, what irks me a bit is the fact that the household chores are not really systematized, so they poke me in the eye sometimes when I have different plans and stuff to do.

Parents are an odd sort of people. They basically should be the gentle face of the society for you early on, but should turn towards being reliable friends later on.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, katsudo19 said:

Why to Thailand if I may ask? 

Dude we are like twins which never met 😄 I live in small village but I have city within reach.(15 km?) I have exact problem with young people because my friends left country or take drugs or move out. I love my parents and I am grateful be with them but you know. Young man want to make things on your own. If I may ask what are you doing for living? I work at laboratory as assistant laboratory technician but i need move forward. I want to focus on english language and I think alout about web development. Start to learn or dont. 

Thailand's cheap, beautiful, friendly, the food is great, and there's a huge hub of 'digital nomads' there along with the majority of my friends (the life of an entrepreneur I guess).

I think it's super important for young men to be out in the world on their own, I just don't think I was ready for it in the past! 😄 

I'm currently spending the majority of my time working with Cam on Game Quitters, and in my free time, I do internet marketing and writing for various people as a freelancer after initially learning to be a front-end web designer. I'm happy with what I'm doing, and it pays the bills, but I'd love to spend more time outdoors doing photography. Another reason why I'm travelling round Asia!

1 hour ago, James Good said:

Thailand's cheap, beautiful, friendly, the food is great, and there's a huge hub of 'digital nomads' there along with the majority of my friends (the life of an entrepreneur I guess).

I think it's super important for young men to be out in the world on their own, I just don't think I was ready for it in the past! 😄 

I'm currently spending the majority of my time working with Cam on Game Quitters, and in my free time, I do internet marketing and writing for various people as a freelancer after initially learning to be a front-end web designer. I'm happy with what I'm doing, and it pays the bills, but I'd love to spend more time outdoors doing photography. Another reason why I'm travelling round Asia!

Hm. What's the cost of a middle-class life for a foreigner? Might be a good place for me to go in the future as well 😄

@JustTom depends what you mean by middle class, got a pretty different definition in Thailand haha! I'm living in a decent studio with weekly cleaning for £200/m, going to eat out every meal of the day for a total of £70/week, then when you throw in phone, travel, massages, gym, coffee etc I'm hoping to spend around £650/€730/$820 a month. 

One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is food. I also drink coffee and alcohol, although the former more regularly than the latter. I'm definitely not trying to live a budget lifestyle! 

• Like 2