NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Intro

Hi,

I'm a student from Canada looking to quit gaming.

I've developed this bizarre habit of simultaneously playing low concentration/instant gratification games (like clicker games, simple collection games, Forager is a prime example) and listening to podcasts. I feel like it's all I want to do at any point in the day. When I'm not doing this I have trouble concentrating, am easily frustrated with my girlfriend and am extremely bored. 

I believe that listening to podcasts at the same time is giving me some kind of false impression that I'm learning something, and therefore my time is being spent well. I often convince myself that I'm only playing these games in order to occupy my hands and eyes while listening to podcasts, but I don't have any real retention of what I've listened to, and often play the same podcasts on repeat.

Hoping this forum can help, looking forward to getting to know you!

• Like 2

Hey there!

I use to have a similar habit. Tho i'd listen to non-fiction audiobooks whilst playing singleplayer 'intense' story games. They were games I had played at least 5 times through tho. I enjoy the atmosphere and could say they're low effort since ik well what to expect. But I too couldn't remember the audiobook (or game). It was like I used it to justify gaming. Learning is a good hobby of mine and ik I learn best through sound and vision.

In my case, I think my habit came from feeling guilty that I wasn't learning as much as i'd like to and knew full well I wasn't living up to my potential.

I also use to have a habit of watching tv shows and movies i've seen before on mute and listening to my own music. Out of curiosity I looked into the topic a bit. Maybe the same applies to gaming, but one study found it has 5 main purposes. There's many more articles alike to it too explaining 'why' (Even if it is complex). I feel like I did do it to reflect deeply, in a way to kinda shape what I wanna be or motivate me in some strange way. The things I watch and games I play are very much in common and are something i'd love to be someday (Law enforcement + Science). That's about all i've learnt about it, was enough to make perfect sense to me at least.

If you're wanting to replace this habit with something else, I highly recommend meditation. Since doing it, it's been a great substitute for me to reflect deeply. I can even meditate listening to my own music now. I don't have this habit anymore since I quit smoking pot (That was when it started for me). Gaming was one area where I was able to repeat this habit tho. I find now i'm only repeating this habit if i'm drunk.

Welcome to gamequitters!

1 hour ago, TwoSidedLife said:

Tho i'd listen to non-fiction audiobooks whilst playing singleplayer 'intense' story games. They were games I had played at least 5 times through tho. I enjoy the atmosphere and could say they're low effort since ik well what to expect. But I too couldn't remember the audiobook (or game). It was like I used it to justify gaming. Learning is a good hobby of mine and ik I learn best through sound and vision.

In my case, I think my habit came from feeling guilty that I wasn't learning as much as i'd like to and knew full well I wasn't living up to my potential.

Exactly how I feel!

1 hour ago, TwoSidedLife said:

If you're wanting to replace this habit with something else, I highly recommend meditation. Since doing it, it's been a great substitute for me to reflect deeply.

I'm definitely interested in this, I've tried to start meditating in the mornings as a habit, but the pull of gaming was always stronger.