James Good

Question of the week: What did you want to be when you were a kid?

More of a fun topic this week, some of them have been a bit deep recently! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think it's nice to have a balance. 

Like most kids, I wasn't really concerned about what I was going to do with my life. I just liked running in circles and eating custard.

But I seem to remember a period in my life, when I was about 8-11 years old, where I went back and forth between what I wanted to be when I grew up.

There were a few obvious choices in there, such as footballer and rockstar, cause I mean who doesn't want to do that stuff.

However, there were a couple of standout options that I think I even got made fun of for. These were:

• Sports car designer: I used to spend ages drawing pictures of cars, looking at images of cars, buying car posters and playing car games. I was obsessed with them!
  • Fashion designer: Noticing a theme? For some reason, I got really into drawing women's fashion. Not sure what my parents thought about it but I don't think it lasted more than a week 🤣
  • Archer: Yeah, I know. I loved history and really enjoyed using a bow and arrow. I thought it was possible to become a professional archer, like someone from the middle ages, but I can't image longbows are very popular in the British Military anymore!

And now I'm an internet marketer and photographer. So, not even close at all 😄 

But there're a few silly things from my childhood, so let me know what you wanted to be when you grew up, and did you end up doing the same thing when you were older? I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

Peace.

• Like 2

When I was < 10 I wanted to be an explorer of the jungles, I loved animals and dreamed about cataloging them and describing them. After that, something happened to me and my only dream was to live in peace an quiet. 

• Like 3

The obvious and overused choices: astronaut, policeman, soldier, racing pilot, footballer, actor... all of the stuff most children go through.

The less obvious choices: comic book artist, chemist and doctor, specifically neurologist. I had three large volumes of a biological encyclopedia at home and its influence almost made me try apply to medical school.

Ended up on law school, which is something I'm not particularly passionate about but I'm actually talented for. I even used to run circles on everyone at school, including teachers, when it comes to debate and discussions.

• Like 2

<10 years old: Except for wanting to be a power ranger (yeah, early millennials hehe), the only thing I remember is that I actually, no joke wanted to be a game developer. My gaming addiction has been seeded early enough lmao. My dad used to play all kinds of games and I would watch him any chance I could. If I couldn't play with toys/legos, I would design battle scenarios, maps for a particular strategy game that I liked. I would draw it on paper, place all the units and buildings, even have a system to non-chaotically draw how the battle would go. I would design units, give them stats like damage, attack speed, hp, give them abilities etc. 

<15 years old: A Warcraft 3 pro player. That was the first game I played online ever since I got it for Christmas. For being 11, I got pretty good and people online were praising me, I also learned fluent english very early on. My dads friends also played games casually so when we had get-togethers, sometimes I'd get a chance to play some of the adults and I would beat them SO HARD. People were jokingly saying I should go to korea to become a pro gamer haha.

<19 years old: Music composer/producer. Just before highschool I really got into music, started playing drums, got into a band as well. During highschool I was interested in many subjects - physics, law, neuro-science, computer science, psychology - even though those were not actual subjects available. But when I discovered how music is made in practice and what tools are available for sampling orchestra and other instruments, it absolutely blew my mind and it became my biggest passion to produce music, especially soundtracks for games and movies. However, I realized it a bit too late to go to a university for music without taking a gap year to study and practice, which at that time I didn't even consider as an option. To this day, I consider it my biggest mistake to not pursue music. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 5:09 PM, JustTom said:

If I couldn't play with toys/legos, I would design battle scenarios, maps for a particular strategy game that I liked. I would draw it on paper, place all the units and buildings, even have a system to non-chaotically draw how the battle would go. I would design units, give them stats like damage, attack speed, hp, give them abilities etc. 

Oh man, this brings back memories of my cousin and me, spending countless hours drawing battle formations on paper. Different shapes would represent generals, types of unit etc and this would be how we spent most of our time. I think we were mimicking our endless playtime in Dynasty Warrior and other Three Kingdoms games 🤣

Also, +1 for being a game developer. I wanted to be a designer as recently as 4 or 5 years ago. I sometimes wonder how different thing would have been if I went down that route.

I remember toying around with plastic soldiers a lot, playing a ton of FPS games like Call of Duty early and military strategies like Hearts of Iron later, so I eventually joined the military. I decided to quit, though I might revisit it in the future after I finish my education on the university.

Right now, I'm doing whatever I can with the second thing gaming gave me - fluent English, that being teaching, writing and talking to people.

I wanted to be a paleontologist for a very long time after watching the first jurassic park movie.. A loved dinosaurs so much. But that only lasted until I found out that there aren't really any dino skeletons in Denmark 😄 and I deffinantly didnt want to digging for "boring" human remains and history 🙂

So then I wanted to become a soldier which also became a crushed dream when I was deemed unfit for duty do to my surgery not being completely done.

Then afterwards I wanted to be a plumber for after I healed up. But that to was an unfortunate choice, since I developed high allergic reaction to the oils and chemicals we use in that job. Real bummer.

Then I worked to become a school teacher, teaching natural science classes. But the way the education system works in DK is that you write up for an education (bachelor) then if you get a spot you will have to confirm it. After that all your other priorities no longer counts. But I set yes and 2 days later someone called me and told me I still needed to complete a higher level mathcourse to be able to get that teacher pack with NS classes… Damn it!! But then I crossed my fingers and asked if they could put me on the waiting list for the Radiographer education which was my 2nd choice… And now I have almost completed 5/7 semester and still loving it very much 🙂 Hopefully afterwards I can get access to a program that will make me capable of diagnose digital x-ray of the appendicular skeletal system 🙂 More responsibility 😉