My name is Matt and I am sick of video games. What used to be a fun pastime has completely taken over large chunks of my life. After having the game for less than a year, I have 500 hours on Civ 5; I got the 24 hour playing achievement on Sims 4 in less than 3 days in, etc. I used to like games as another form of storytelling; now I've fallen into wasting hours on strategy games instead of doing what I ought to do, such as exercising or reading and learning more, or actually spending time with people.

I'm praying that this works and that God helps me through it. I'm just about to turn 20 and I don't want to waste these years of my life behind a computer screen conquering Korea and flirting with computer programs. I am thankful for this program, and even if it isn't as good as I hope, I have a feeling the investment it costed will motivate me somewhat. I would appreciate any advice you guys have for a newcomer such as myself.

Let's do this!

• Like 2

Hey Matt, welcome.

I am probably unqualified to give anyone advice about anything however since you asked for some..

I've found keeping my daily journal here on the forum to be very therapeutic and a great accountability habit. There's plenty of great members here to share experiences with too.

Try to find new hobbies you are interested in asap. You'll probably suddenly find yourself with a bunch more free time and not sure what to do with it. I've started to read, walk a bunch, listen to podcasts and audio books, hit the gym lots, cook new healthy recipes, golf more, play tennis, yoga, journaling.. and more.

Sounds like you purchased Respawn as well. Make sure you actually follow it. I actually did the worksheets and printed them out and put them next to my bed so I can always remind myself of my goals.

Good luck.

I love the Civ series btw.. over 1k hours haha.

Not sure there's much more I can add than what @NannerZ pointed out, I just wanted to say congrats on taking the steps to overcome this problem and you're definitely heading in the right direction.

Best of luck!

Hi indyc welcome to the forum

I hope you will be able to quit playing video games if you need any help or need to talk we all will be able to help you through struggles we are all here to help you.

Good luck.

Hi Matt,

Civ games and the Sims can definitely give you that "measurable progress" feeling. Particularly with the Sims, I'd sometimes feel "jealous" of how productive and successful and happy my sims were !😛

Thanks everyone for your replies (I wasn't expecting there to be any, so this is a pleasant surprise)!

I hope to succeed in this and I will do my best. I want to live a better life than my sims (or at the very least as productive). All the advice is appreciated. Thank You    🙂

• Like 2