NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Hi

My name is Matt and I am sick of video games. What used to be a fun pastime has completely taken over large chunks of my life. After having the game for less than a year, I have 500 hours on Civ 5; I got the 24 hour playing achievement on Sims 4 in less than 3 days in, etc. I used to like games as another form of storytelling; now I've fallen into wasting hours on strategy games instead of doing what I ought to do, such as exercising or reading and learning more, or actually spending time with people.

I'm praying that this works and that God helps me through it. I'm just about to turn 20 and I don't want to waste these years of my life behind a computer screen conquering Korea and flirting with computer programs. I am thankful for this program, and even if it isn't as good as I hope, I have a feeling the investment it costed will motivate me somewhat. I would appreciate any advice you guys have for a newcomer such as myself.

Let's do this!

• Like 3

Hey Matt, welcome.

I am probably unqualified to give anyone advice about anything however since you asked for some..

I've found keeping my daily journal here on the forum to be very therapeutic and a great accountability habit. There's plenty of great members here to share experiences with too.

Try to find new hobbies you are interested in asap. You'll probably suddenly find yourself with a bunch more free time and not sure what to do with it. I've started to read, walk a bunch, listen to podcasts and audio books, hit the gym lots, cook new healthy recipes, golf more, play tennis, yoga, journaling.. and more.

Sounds like you purchased Respawn as well. Make sure you actually follow it. I actually did the worksheets and printed them out and put them next to my bed so I can always remind myself of my goals.

Good luck.

I love the Civ series btw.. over 1k hours haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies (I wasn't expecting there to be any, so this is a pleasant surprise)!

I hope to succeed in this and I will do my best. I want to live a better life than my sims (or at the very least as productive). All the advice is appreciated. Thank You    ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Matt my name is Neil and I am sick of video games as well it is good to have you here!

For your reference to help along the way here is ..
A welcoming statement :230_hatched_chick:
In preparation for a 90 day detox and beyond ..
First move the consoles & games out of sight so it stays out of mind ..
This includes uninstalling them from the computer & devices! ..
Once it is done you can move on from there & a lot easier I might add.

Getting rid of the games for good enabled me to finish the detox strong, consider that.
After that you need to teach yourself how else to spend that free time!
Make sure you are eating healthy, getting daily exercise, & proper sleep ..
NUTRITION - big minefield of controversy I personally am behind a plant-based diet ..
This upcoming documentary backed by Producers Arnold Schwarzenegger & Jackie Chan ..
Check it out ✌️ I won't respond in forum to this topic but you are welcome to message me ..
Find some hobbies to replace the time gained ..

https://gamequitters.com/hobby-tool/
Start some kind of journal with pen & paper, online here, or both! ..
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/topic/3160-guidelines-templates
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/forum/11-daily-journals/
Do consider checking out the Respawn program offered here as well ..
For what little cost think about that return on investment! ..

Cross-examine other areas in your life you find consuming your time ..
Excessive consumption is what leads to the time crippling addictions ..
Replace such excessive consumerism by using your free time to create.
Our one life, the time that we have is meant for so much more than feeding addictions ..
You might not identify as an addict and that is fine ..
If you are here for any reason to quit video games that is still a benefit to you
Thank you for signing up and joining our united cause to make the most of our time --
Give this your best and I am sure you will do well :93_punch:
Welcome to the forums!! @indyc

Neil,  Ex-Gamer Addict,  Gamequitters Member :1602_bicyclist_tone3:
Direct Message Me,  Discord Support Chat

Article: How To Quit Playing Video Games :1517_runner_tone3:
Article: Four Reasons We Played Video Games
Article: Alternative Activities By Game Genre :1582_surfer_tone3:

Article: Why You Should Detox
Find a Video Game Addiction Therapist :1512_walking_tone3:
Download A Gamequitters Podcast
Read A Gamequitters Blog ?

Hi, my name is Peter and I am 15 years old. I live in Nicosia a capital of Cyprus. I will write you my life storyline In order to understand me. My Gaming addiction unfortunately started very early, when I became 4 years old. I don't really remember what I was doing before. Anyway I think its not my fault for my addiction because my mom was the first person who showed me a childish video games to play on her laptop. These video games weren't really addictive but I was interested in them. My mother hoped I could learn something but after 1 year my uncle and my cousins showed Plants vs Zombies which was a very popular game those days. This video game actually started my gaming addiction. I told my mom about the game but she didn't let me to do it because it was her laptop. I was going to my cousins to play the game though. Anyway 1 year later my parents bought me a laptop and I could finally play video games. My friends on school showed me Friv which had cool games. So I decided to hop in and try it. My second addiction started as well there. But there is more. When Super Mario crossed through my mind for the 1st time it was the king daddy of all of my gaming addictions. My parents bought me a Wii so I could play Mario games and I'm telling you, I have bought almos all Mario games on Wii. That was the point where my parents told me to stop. But I was so excited and addicted that I didn't even hear them. That was the time when I went to public school and things started going wrong. Teachers always were calling my parents because I wasn't paying attention. I finished public school after 6 years without learning anything. That summer of my last year when I graduated from public school, I became addicted to football so my parents bought me a ps4 with Fifa 16. I was so excited to play it that I started staying at midnight without enough sleep playing the game. My parents were really worried because I was going to high school next year. A lot have changed since then. I was getting really bad marks so my parents have had enough. They became very strict and brought me a home teacher. They woke me up that year so that I could see life from another angle. They helped me grow up and become a teenager. I finally became smart because of them and I got A-B grades in the 2nd year. But in the middle of the 2nd year... IT WAS THE TOP OF THE TOP. Yeah thats right February of 2018 and guess what Fortnite came to my life and made me more addictive that any other addiction I had COMBINED. Fortunately I could take control on some situations like my studies and I did well. But I couldn't take control over my life with Fortnite in it. First of all it killed my Football passion completely. It made me quit my football academy and since then I didn't have any interest in football at all. Second when summer of 2018 came in I was so addicted to fortnite that I struggled with mental issues like anxiety, depression and rage. I wasn't happy at all that summer and because it was the first time I faced mental struggles, I thought it was my end. Until my psychologist helped me overcome them. In 3rd year of high school I was finally happy and I met my friends back. I was still addicted to fortnite but fortnite started cooling down since 2019. But I still have issues with fortnite and eventhough I am not as interested as I was before. I still can't quit the game. I tried to quit it many times but it didn't work. We are here in present and I am still trying to quit it. I have had enough with video games I noticed that they are waste of time but I don't know how to replace my fortnite addiction. I have started hanging out with my friends but there isn't really much to do in Nicosia in summer. Its also over 40 degrees Celsius here so my energy and motivation hits rock bottom. My friends also are addicted to fortnite not all of them but the majority of them. So that energy I am hanging out with is unhealthy. Anyway I am trying to do something. My dream when I grow up is to live in Canada and do something that I love and be successful and famous, I still don't know who I am. But for sure video games won't help me accomplish my dreams.Pls help me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...