NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

I beat gaming once...Now to do it again

So on a whim the other night, I googled “give up video games” and found an interview Cam had done with a former addict. What struck me was them saying they had nothing to talk about with other people because they just played games. That hits closer to home than I’d like to admit.

After watching more of Cam’s videos, I decided I need to move past video games. As the title says, I’ve done this once before. Years ago I was seriously addicted to World of Warcraft. I don’t just mean I played a lot, I mean becoming really upset by the internet going out or by the idea of not being able to play for an extended period of time. Not wanting to go to dinner with family because of some event that was happening online. On weekdays, it was all I thought about at school. I never got into trouble with my grades because of WoW, but I definitely could have done a lot better if I didn’t waste so much time on it. Anyways, I did eventually kick it cold turkey and lost interest in the game so much that when I revisited it years later, I got bored after a few hours. 

Nowadays, I’ve been much more into single player console games. And I just had the epiphany last night that I’m spending all this time (and money) and it’s not adding any value to my life. In ten years, nobody is going to care if I got the Persona 5 platinum trophy, so why have I wasted 200+ hours trying to get it? It’s also kept me from having a healthy social life because I don’t take up opportunities to go out or do stuff with people. Last night I put all my video games and consoles away as well as any items that would remind me of it. 

As I was doing this I got a bit depressed. I’ve watched the same gaming related YouTube channel for years. Like clockwork I would always immediately watch that’s channel’s weekly video every week without fail. It hit me that I would have to stop if I’m serious about this. That’s also why I’m joining the forum, because I imagine you guys can relate to that feeling. Putting something away that has been such a huge part of you for so long is a scary feeling.

I’m also really concerned about the boredom factor but am hoping to re-engage with friends who had been inviting me to do stuff as well as pick up some new skills and hobbies. I’m writing this post at the end of my day 1. Here’s to reaching day 90 and beyond.

• Like 1

Welcome Jay. I can relate to a lot of what you've written here. Picking up new hobbies should help a lot filling the void. Journaling helps me stay on track with my goals also so I recommend trying to do it daily if possible. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Stivmorrison said:

Hey! Keep going man! 

I’m about 90 days without playing any games, and it is hard, but we will rock it. I was addicted to WoW, league of legends and more recently ragnarok mobile. I started play on my 9age and I’m 24 now. So, I understand you.

Greentings from Brazil!

Bem vindo ao fórum, vi que você se registrou há uma 1hora, parabéns por completar 90 dias sem jogar eu começei tem 1 semana, mas está sendo melhor do que eu pensei que seria.

Well done on your recognition of needing change. The statement "I'm a gamer." has been in my mind for more than 2 decades at this point. It's completely terrifying to give up that part of my life. However, I've had some really good successes with quitting games before (much like you), and in reality it's more like I'm choosing to support the rest of my life, instead of just one destructive piece of myself. 

Stay strong, keep going. Let me know if you ever want to chat 1 x 1. 

Be kind to yourself, 

Morgan