Sign in to follow this  
James Good

(Please Read) The Podcast is Re-Launching! What do you want it to be like?

For those of you that weren't aware, Cam used to upload regular episodes of the Game Quitters Podcast. 

The podcast covered a variety of topics surrounding gaming addiction and personal development, and episodes ranged from 20 minutes all the way up to 90 minutes and were released every week.

Well, just over a year on from the last episode, Cam has asked me if I want to take up the reigns and start releasing episodes again.

Who am I, though? (Click for info)

Spoiler

For those that don't know me, I've been a part of the community for 4 or 5 years, and am now the UK rep for Game Quitters and do a lot of marketing work behind the scenes. I'm currently earning a decent income remotely and moving to Thailand soon to work on online business, and I've got experience with photography, music, self-help/personal development, health and fitness, hiking/camping, university/college, relationships, and most importantly gaming addiction.

I gladly accepted and started planning, only to realise that even I don't know how to go about doing it.

That's why I'm asking for your help.

We've already decided to change the name from the Game Quitters Podcast to the Life: Unlocked podcast (Life unlocked is the Game Quitters slogan)

I want to know your thoughts on the following:

• Schedule: How often should episodes be released? Once a week, 3 times a week, every 2 weeks etc
  • Content: What do you want me to talk about? Gaming only, or general self-help, productivity and real advice
  • Format: Should I just talk by myself, or should I only talk to guests, or should it be a mix of both? 
  • Time: How long should episodes be? 5-10 minutes, 10-30, 1+ hours. Should I have 1 short episode a week and 1 long guest interview a month?

As you can see there's a ton of stuff I need to work out. I have a few ideas of how I think it would work, but I want to know what you'd be interested in, as you're the ones who will be watching!

Here's how I'd like to do it if that helps give you some ideas:

• 1 or 2 short episodes a week, from 5-20 minutes (maybe starting with 1 until I get more used to it)
  • 1 long interview with a guest each month, 1-2+ hours
  • Covering a wide variety of topics from gaming and smartphone addiction, to mental health and college, and even self-help, hobbies, creativity, nature and all that good stuff
  • It'd be fairly informal, focusing more on actionable advice with real-life anecdotes from my own and others lives

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance everyone!

• Like 2

Cool idea. I'll check it out for sure.

As for my my thoughts?

I think the schedule you described sounds like a good way to start.

As for content a good mix of everything would work. I think a lot of us who are moving on from gaming sort of naturally explore self-help concepts and ideas. So that would likely be helpful for us.

I think you've got it right with the longer episodes for when you have a guest and shorter ones when you may be alone.

I'd be interested in hearing interviews with past successful game quitters, either from this community or elsewhere to talk about their journeys. How they started gaming, how they became obsessed, when they realized they had to stop, and how did they quit? And how their lives have improved since quitting gaming?

Edited by NannerZ
i do what i want

• Schedule: How often should episodes be released? 3 times a week: Friday night, Saturday morning, and Tuesday afternoon
  • Content: What do you want me to talk about? General self-help, productivity and real advice
  • Format: Should I just talk by myself, or should I only talk to guests, or should it be a mix of both? Both
  • Time: How long should episodes be? It depends.

I think your planned schedules looks fine, with one or two weekly shorts and a monthly long you'll have room to cover a lot of ground quickly while still having some flexibility to throw some specials now and then.

In terms of content I would say I'm personally interested about the psychological mechanisms of addiction and habit forming/breaking, as well as about what I would call "the politics of gaming", or how the game industry deals with this problems (or, accurately, doesn't deal with it). Things like exploiting mechanics that are almost like gambling, or focusing marketing efforts to keep young people on the loop of consumption, things like that.

As for the format and length, maybe you could have some very short "pills" (5 mins or so) on self-help and self-improvement, short (20 mins) on specific subjects or to expand on the pills that have more interest on the public, and long "paper or case study" ones, where you either dive on a subject or interview someone and tell their story. Maybe put some interviews with researchers that work on related subjects, also.

Best wishes on your new project! Looking forward to hear you in action!

• Schedule: Once a week or once every two weeks.
  • Content: Well prepared topics to talk about with guests. Quality before quantity. I would rather listen to 30 min of practical helpful topics a month than 2 hours a week of nothing but words. Maybe something like reading a book a month, and people could join in live from around the globe to comment on something. I think mainly topics related to quitting gaming and practical things on improving life.
  • Format: Talk to a different person every time, give them the topics before hand, and talk between 30 an 60 min. Maybe then invite audience for quick 2 min live comments. 
  • Time: 30 an 60 min max.
Edited by dahankus
  • Like 2