Sign in to follow this  
James Good

Question of the Week: What would you tell yourself 1 year ago?

I think most people on the path of self-improvement would agree: Last year me was an idiot

You'll probably also agree that any advice given to you a year ago would most likely have been ignored because you knew better.

At least that's what would happen in my case.

In this QOTW I want you to list a few things you'd tell yourself 1 year ago.

Try and imagine exactly where you were 12 months before today, in May 2018, and think about what you'd say.

It doesn't have to be actionable advice, it could just be words of encouragement telling yourself that it gets better.

I'll go first (obviously):

1. You might be in the worst mental state of your life so far, but it's okay. You're going to come back from Canada a different person, and your life will never be the same.
  2. Stop playing games, dummy. Sure, you're currently the #1 ranked speedrunner in the world and you're earning $100 a month on Twitch, but at what cost to your health?
  3. In just over a year you're going to be earning more than most of your friends, moving to Thailand, and experiencing the life of your dreams. 
  4. Everything is going to turn out just fine, buddy. Keep it up.

I know past me would have ignored all of that stuff, but I got a strange sense of pride come over me when writing that list. There's something about knowing where I was in the past, and seeing just how far I've come when I thought everything was lost.

Can't wait to do this again next year!

Let me know what you'd tell your past self down below. I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Ha, I don't think I'd call myself an idiot a year ago. I just had a different outlook on life. The funny thing is, 16-year old me would think of 13-year old me as an idiot. Calling someone an "idiot" is pretty banishing and judgemental though, so especially nowadays I think it through very thoroughly before I call someone an idiot, cretin or whatever else profanity I can think of!

I was setup to have quite a blast this time the last year, quitting a bad job and having my first girlfriend. Regardless of that, here's my advice to my former self:

1) Be responsible, gaming and streaming on Twitch for 20 $ a month and spending dozens of hours a week on it isn't gonna get you very far.

2) Be conscientious, if you want to stream for a living, need to have the correct mindset (and game) to make it a full-fledged job.

3) Toughen up. You're extremely fragile and in some sense easily manipulated. You don't know what to do with people who don't share your point of view.

4) Your girlfriend is the same as you are, except she's more neurotic and feels the above a lot more than you do, though she's equally clueless about the solutions.

5) It'll get better. If you make it better.

I don't have any regrets and I don't want to trade the above experience. It forms my core today.

• Like 3

I would tell myself, that in game achievements does not benefit real life and hiding from real life problems in a game, only lasts until the game gets boring. 

Most importantly, spent time with family, cause one days it's to late and now I can live with the regrets for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

"If you never try, you'll never know" - This quote is in my head as soon as I will try something new and think "man, this is really hard".

"Go/try harder!" - Enough said.

• Like 2

Nothing. Like you say James, last year me wouldn't have listened anyway. I go by a very simple adage:

I did the best I could with what I knew at the time. If I knew better, I would have done better.

I also wouldn't change a thing about what's happened thus far. Everything that's happened up to this point has turned me into the person I am today, and I really like that person.

I would tell myself: Just try this, delete your game accounts and if you still want to play videogames then no problem do it.

I imagine I would have quit a few weeks afterwards the latest because without a goal like the steam achievements my motivation would plummet.

And finally: For gods sake just start running and clear your head!!!!!!   😉

Edited by Undsoweiter

"Don't worry man, it's ok, and its going to be even better. So trust yourself, and enjoy it all. Remember that I love you. Oh, by the way, if you want a tip, then I have one. Stand up straight, with your shoulders back."

• Like 2

I was telling myself that I was gonna stop, that it was over and that it was getting in the way of what matters most. yesterday i played everquest for 12 hours 

I would tell myself the exact same things ive been telling myself for years.  I just cant enact it. And i accomplish JUST enough to feel that i can skate by and that it doesnt really matter if i waste all my time. Sad. 

Edited by danyool

On 6/16/2019 at 12:47 AM, danyool said:

it doesnt really matter if i waste all my time

What do you mean?? Isn't there anything about your life that you can, and would fix? A small thing? There has to be, otherwise you would be living in heaven, which is impossible. Then if there is such a thing, is fixing it meaningless when it makes your reality that little bit better? And if you actually fix that small thing, wouldn't it be even better to find another small thing to fix?? Is fixing ten of this small things meaningless, when it makes your reality that much better? 

What things can you fix? Start with this: Do one of the things in your room that requires your attention, and that you have been postponing indefinitely. When you run out of things to do in your own room, do the hallway, then the kitchen, ... then maybe switch to your family, are you holding a grudge? can you fix that??

And it doesn't matter if you play a game or not. Excessive gaming is a symptom, not a problem. Meaning in life is in right action. We all know who we wish we would be or how we wish we would behave. Going from now to that ideal IS MEANINGFUL! That striving for something better is what gives live its meaning, the fight against entropy and the void.

But why? you may ask... because you are the only one that can. Only a human can fight entropy, to make reality just a little bit less horrible. And that, my friend, is why picking that trash off the street as you walk by, is meaningful. It changes reality into something better. Can't you imagine a world where you would proactively make the world better? How would that world feel like to you? How wold you feel as you wake up in the morning? How can that be meaningless? 

• Like 3