NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

You missed a need

Ennyish

Aesthetic. 

Games are an art form, and while I don't always play games for that need (I have plenty of other needs that games fill as well) but I can't believe you forgot one of the more important ones!

Games that I have played that have moved me emotionally, narratively, and morally:

Bloodborne, The Last of Us, The World Ends With You,  Journey, Inside, The Stanley Parable, Overwatch (though not as much as the others here)

Yay!

Hi @Ennyish! I would call that immersion, with aesthetic (good looking visuals, soundtracks, etc.) being part of that immersion.

This immersion (both aesthetic and narrative) is great and I don't think it's reasonable to claim video games are unable to tell good stories or be artistic.

Unfortunately this aspect of video games is also a major cause for FOMO (fear of missing out) in people who stop playing, so I would advise to be extra careful when talking about it here. Remember, video game addiction is real and this is a support community for people with a real issue that is impacting our lives.

Being mindful of that and taking it into account, I think you have a point, since there are gamers that find role-playing exciting, or even more artistically inclined folks who play games looking for inspiration for their art.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 8:55 PM, Ennyish said:

Aesthetic. 

Games are an art form, and while I don't always play games for that need (I have plenty of other needs that games fill as well) but I can't believe you forgot one of the more important ones!

I agree to this ! 

This is one of the main reasons I am regularly questioning wether or not I should quit gaming, because I think there is no problem in enjoying the aesthetics of the games. The being said, there are so many overruling  reasons for me to quit gaming, like I dont get anything out of spending time on videogames... It used to be fun, now its just grind, replay or pay-out. Or if none of these they take a lot time that could be spend on learning other skills. The common thing for all videogames is that they are not long lasting, you will stop playing all games at some times, either because a new one comes out or there is no longer anyone to play with (like multiplayer). So you end up having spend time and money and gained nothing. (except the imidiate enjoyment ofcourse, and that is something for someone but not for me ? )

Take CoD series, they make new games every year. They make games with lootcrates and microtransactions and seasons with tiers. So if you are a person like me with FOMO, you spend a lot of money on tiers so you dont miss out or you play when you really should do homework. Then a year later they make a new game, which splits to player pool so it gets harder to find a lobby and soon enough, you no longer can find a lobby and you are forced to buy the new game to be able to play online. and all your tiers have been wasted ?