James Good

Question of the week: What's your favourite quote?

"1995. $7 Bucks In My Pocket. I Knew Two Things: I’m Broke As Hell and One Day I Won’t Be” - Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

I'm a simple man at heart. I wouldn't call myself a minimalist, but the things I find the most beauty in are minimalist and simplistic. 

That being said, I'm terrible at memorising quotes. So, the simpler the better.

I think that's why I like this one so much. Not only is it from a man that I have a huge amount of respect for, but it's easy to remember and it's the kind of mindset that has gotten me through those times when I've been incredibly broke.

know that I'm going to be financially well-off in the future, and I know that I'm not where I want to be at the moment.

I recently took on a lot more work, and it's finally starting to become clear to me how I can progress with my goals, but it also means a lot more hard work and consistency in the future (something I struggle a great deal with).

I want you to tell me your favourite quotes, I might even put them into a word cloud heat-map or something to see what stands out the most :35_thinking:

Just try not to go overboard and post every single quote in the world. If you can, stick to one quote. I know it's hard to choose just one, but it really helps with this kind of exercise if you can narrow your focus down to something specific.

Looking forward to hearing what you say!

• Like 2

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool."  Richard Phillips Feynman

I think that has to ring true for every former gamer out there! I have to find out more about this mastermind though.

• Like 1

"Start the damn joust before I piss meself!" - Robert Baratheon

Image result for start the damn tourney before robert baratheon

"You see, money doesn't just buy you a better life, better food, better cars, better women, it also makes you a better person." - Jordan Belford (movie)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok now for real. 

"Success is the continuous realization of a worthy goal" -  Earl Nightingale

This has been the single most influential sentence in my life. It's one of those things that work as a switch. It changed my entire view of being successful from reaching a goal to progressively strive for a goal. As long as you're following the best strategy you know of and you're doing the best you can, you're being successful. 

That means, if I'm on the detox, if I'm being productive and working hard towards my vision, I'm successful, no matter how far I am from actually achieving it. To me, success is a process, not an event or a state. 

Edited by JustTom
  • Like 1

Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. C.G. Jung

I don'h have a favorite quote. But some times one stays in my mind for quite some time. This is the current one, and I love it. It goes down to the deepest part of us all, and tells that a truth we all fear. Still somehow, it gives hope, showing a way out of the darkness. Relating to one of my  older quotes "Know thyself"

• Like 3

There are so many great ones to choose from but I'll go with this one. Feels really appropriate for me right now as I'm in the middle of the detox trying to create a better future for myself.

“The best way to predict the future is to invent it.”  - Alan Kay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dahankus said:

I don'h have a favorite quote. But some times one stays in my mind for quite some time. This is the current one, and I love it. It goes down to the deepest part of us all, and tells that a truth we all fear. Still somehow, it gives hope, showing a way out of the darkness. Relating to one of my  older quotes "Know thyself"

Hm. You could also flip this around and say "until you make your conscious unconscious, you will forever struggle with that action". In terms of creating habits for example - first you need to focus on it, but if you do it with intent consistently for a long period of time, it becomes automatic. 

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

"Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star." - W. Clement Stone

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1

'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?' 'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.

G.R.R.Martins 

I'm an emotional person, very very emotional, and this has helped me understand I can do the right thing even when I feel like I can't. It's not about how I feel, and how I feel doesn't define me. It's what I decide to do, even when I am afraid, that does.

• Like 1

“Freedom means having made the right choice” - Unknown

This quote I found inside the little product book that came with my old rock climbing shoes. I still have that page in my wallet so I see it everytime I flip open my wallet. I want to upload a picture of it But I Dont my wallet on me right now 😂👍🏻 

It just means a lot to me because it basically says that Its not necessarily the what you WANT to do that is the right choice for you. Like some one would argue that you should keep gaming because you like it and enjoy it, but it’s just not what is going to make you free in the end. You might have to be a David Goggins to become free. Free from low self esteem, body imprisonment(being fat and immobile), free from lifestyle deceases and so on. 

To to be free means having made the right choice... 🙂 

Edited by Guest

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get.

Confucius

Edited by Guest

I've got way too much of them. But a load of them are in St John's Gospel.

"Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home in them." (Jesus in John 14)

It's just fabulous we can have God inhabiting our soul by obeying him.

• Like 1

Like with songs, movies and dishes, I refuse to have only a single fav quote.

"Only when mosquito lands on crotch is that men learn to solve problem without violence" - Unknown

"Your mind is a bit like soup, it has to be stirred up all the time and then interesting vegetables float to the surface and so on and you have new ideas. If you just sit there, it all stagnates and gets boring." - Dr. Martyn Poliakoff

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Eric Idle

• Like 1

I'm not sure if any will get notified of this, and I don't really want to quote everyone! But, here's the word cloud of all of our gathered quotes. 

I might run this one again in a few months to see if things change!

I love how vegetables made it in there :4_joy:

wordcloud.png

• Like 3