NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Addicted or ... (introduction)

Hey everyone, I am Dennis and I am a radtech student from Denmark. The reason I titled this post "addiction or" is because I have been very curious whether or not I was addicted. When I took the quiz I scored 5/9 or 10 and I dont see myself using gaming for social aspect since I play mostly singleplayer games and the ones I do play online like Cod BO4 is every man for himself basically. I also dont really feel like its and escape to me even though it properbly is somehow. But where it hits me, is for one the fear of missing out which means if I played resident evil 4 and I liked it, then I HAVE to play the others as well incl, all DLC so I pump alot of money into it, money that I dont even have at some times. The latest and worst fear of missing out example was with CoD BO4 where I have spend hundreds of dollars on the game to buy the tiers I couldnt get before they went away. Cause you know, I NEED THAT GUN at lvl 100 tier. Lately I also startet to feel angry and frustrating emotions whenever I lost i say CoD BO4, which is normal but to me it got really bad. The other thing is that since I have thousands of hours to plow through, (many games I bought but havent played) I feel so compelled to game, that I dont get any homework or preps done for the school and when I am in school, I often think about gaming somehow so I dont really listen that much to the teachers. I used to be very good in school and I want that back, and I want to loose the wheight that I have gained and start rockclimbing soon as possible. One last thing that helped tipping me over the edge was when I realized how anticonsumer the AAA games developers have become, especially bethasda and Treyarch/activision etc. 

All this boils down to games beings a parasite on my wallet, my focus and my selfesteem and this needs emidiate attention I feel, but would you still call it addiction even though it really hasn't become to such and extend that I use 5+ hours gaming and effecting my social/love life ? Or is the problem something els? Like "fear os missing out" in general?

Looking forward to communicate with you all ?

Dennis M.

Hey, Dennis!

Welcome and thank you for your contribution! I have this same dilemma, I scored 5/9 in the quiz and I'm not sure to call it an addiction. So, I'm not calling this an addiction with all the weight that this word carries. But I decided to do 90-day detox, since it'd be good for me. I'll invest the saved time in more important things, and I'll have a glimpse on whether it is an addiction or not through the difficulty on letting it go. That'll require commitment from me, 'cause only being really serious to it I can use it as a measure of how I miss games in my life.

I was never too much into MMORPG, so I don't have that social aspect on gaming, since most of the games I used to play were totally offline, by far. Your compulsion on "having it all" (the best gun, the whole game series) doesn't look healthy, so advise you to take your time.

Thanks puckspock. 

yeah  the having it all also btw sometimes, comes with other things unlike gaming. but not as bad at all.. The gaming has been costing a lot as well as the "LOOT" gaming merch etc.

How long since you stopped ? 

D.M

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 12:39 AM, The radtech said:

The reason I titled this post "addiction or" is because I have been very curious whether or not I was addicted. When I took the quiz I scored 5/9

On 5/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, Volpe said:

I have this same dilemma, I scored 5/9 in the quiz and I'm not sure to call it an addiction

@The radtech @Volpe
Addictions are a progressive disease on a spectrum because the more we subject our livelihood to them is the more rooted and entangled they become in our lives. The more the addiction is fed even in its infancy, is the more it will progress. The bigger question is are you tired of feeding the addictions over and over and asking the same question, "Am I an addict?" Maybe you are, maybe you're not but the only way to win that battle is to starve the beast. I am happy to see other people interested in quitting video games so thank you both for being here

Two months later since your original post, but I did see you are still active here so ..

For your reference here is the best things I know to help you ..

:337_fire: Kindle Your Detox :337_fire:
First move the consoles & games out of sight so it stays out of mind ..
This includes uninstalling them from the computer & devices! ..
Once it is done you can move on from there & a lot easier I might add.

Getting rid of the games for good enabled me to finish the detox strong, consider that.
After that you need to teach yourself how else to spend that free time!
Make sure you are eating healthy, getting daily exercise, & proper sleep ..
NUTRITION - big minefield of controversy I personally am behind a plant-based diet ..
This upcoming documentary backed by Producers Arnold Schwarzenegger & Jackie Chan ..
Check it out ✌️ I won't respond in forum to this topic but you are welcome to message me ..
Find some hobbies to replace the time gained ..

https://gamequitters.com/hobby-tool/
Start some kind of journal with pen & paper, online here, or both! ..
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/topic/3160-guidelines-templates
https://forum.gamequitters.com/index.php?/forum/11-daily-journals/
Do consider checking out the Respawn program offered here as well ..
For what little cost think about that return on investment! ..

Cross-examine other areas in your life you find consuming your time ..
Excessive consumption is what leads to the time crippling addictions ..
Replace such excessive consumerism by using your free time to create.
Our one life, the time that we have is meant for so much more than feeding addictions.
Thank you for your interest to quit video games ..
Perhaps such bold action will inspire others to great deeds as well ?
I wish you the best with your Detox!

Neil,  Ex-Gamer Addict,  Gamequitters Member
My Profile Direct Message Me,  Discord Support Chat
My Journal My Introduction