Jump to content
James Good

Question of the week: What three things are you grateful for?

Recommended Posts

The great thing about this question is that you can be as vague or as specific as you like.

If you want to list three words and leave it there, you can.

If you'd rather list three things in detail, and talk about how they affect your day-to-day life or how its shaped your journey so far, you're more than welcome to.

I want people to feel free to be able to share their stories and ideas.

Without further ado, here's a few things I'm grateful for:

  • Friends that are holding me accountable, and helping me grow into a better person. Not too long ago I got rid of a lot of the friend in my life, as I was focusing more on myself and my business. I didn't want to be friends with people that were negative, or didn't share the same growth mindset. As a result, I ended up developing relationships with people around the world who elevetae me to be the best I can be every day.
  • My parents. I've had my moments where I've been angry and frustrated at my parents, I think we all have. But, recently, after I lost my job, my house and was heavily in debt they were there to support me when I needed it most. It gave me a base from which I could build myself up into the person I am today, making money online and living a life that I've dreamt about for years. Cherish the time you have with your parents, you don't know how long they'll be around.
  • Money. Honestly, I've been in situations before both in University and while having a full time job, where I've been completely broke. It sucks, big time. Although I'm not earning as much as I'd like right now, I'm still in a position that lets me not have to worry too much about my finances (I still drive a 17 year old car tho), to the point where I can actually start thinking about the future and where I want to spend it. Spoiler alert, I'm going to go and live in Asia soon, where my money is going to stretch even further. I can't wait!

 

So, let me know what you're grateful for, and try to interact with other people that have commented. Eevn if it's just a small comment of support or recognition, it's hardly a community question of the week if there isn't any community 😉 

Peace out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooo many things to be grateful for, how can I decide which three are worth mentioning?!

  • My database professor, because today, when I was waiting for the exam to start, he joked about having to send me out of the room because I surely wasn't the student he expectet, after receiving a 4 year old photo of mine (that didn't look ANYTHING like me today) and not recognizing me and with this taking away most of my nervousness.
  • Being healthy. After spending the last week mostly in bed, I was reminded once more, that healthiness is probably one of the greatest gifts one can have. Because it makes soooo much more possible.
  • All the people close to me at the moment and those that I still have to meet.

@James Good Which part of Asia do you want to move to?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am grateful for my friends and family, who have supported me in so many little ways. I am grateful for my youth, as I still have a full life ahead and have so much potential. I am also grateful for this community here I just joined today. I make the first step today toward a better life, away from gaming addiction!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, James Good said:

I still drive a 17 year old car tho

My car is 15 years old, so I am barely older than it, but from what I've heard, the new cars are garbage anyway 😄

Anyway, here's the things that I am happy about to have in my life:

My (ex)girl. She couldn't really point that gaming (and related activities) was the root of my problem, but she had to bear the consequences of it. Logically, she eventually had to break up with me, which sent me into resistance, but eventually I started figuring out the "why" and about a week ago it became crystal clear what the issue was, so I am grateful for her for this. Secondly, she still likes me and she's still showing me her support after I've figured this out, though I can understand she's a bit skeptical, as probably everyone would be after her experience.

My mom. She's been very supportive and understanding of my addiction as well. Gaming addiction is sneaky and it turns out that you can still have a job, a relationship and study at the same time, however the negatives are bound to show at some point.

This community. I'm not alone on this anymore, the idea and experience sharing here is eye-opening!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am grateful for my very supportive family, the realization that it is never too late to change and my surroundings that allows me the time and opportunities for that change.

Edited by Undsoweiter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 9:58 PM, Philipp said:

Soooo many things to be grateful for, how can I decide which three are worth mentioning?!

  • My database professor, because today, when I was waiting for the exam to start, he joked about having to send me out of the room because I surely wasn't the student he expectet, after receiving a 4 year old photo of mine (that didn't look ANYTHING like me today) and not recognizing me and with this taking away most of my nervousness.
  • Being healthy. After spending the last week mostly in bed, I was reminded once more, that healthiness is probably one of the greatest gifts one can have. Because it makes soooo much more possible.
  • All the people close to me at the moment and those that I still have to meet.

@James Good Which part of Asia do you want to move to?

Great teachers really make a difference to our education. They can make or break the entire thing! It's great to see your professor calmed you down, and I hope the exam went well for you!

Also, I'm going to be travelling to Chiang Mai first of all. Will likely stay there a couple of months and then head to Bali and see where it goes from there. Maybe I'll end up hating it and just want to come back to boring old England 😂

19 hours ago, sudo said:

I am grateful for my friends and family, who have supported me in so many little ways. I am grateful for my youth, as I still have a full life ahead and have so much potential. I am also grateful for this community here I just joined today. I make the first step today toward a better life, away from gaming addiction!

It's usually the little things that make the differences.

Also, welcome to the community! You're definitely in the right place if you're trying to make your way to a better life, and you'll never be short of support here. 

16 hours ago, BigOlBeartic said:

a place to live, fresh food, receiving an education at a good university

A place to live is so underrated. I sometimes imagine what it would be like if I had literally nothing, and how all of the opportunities in my life have come about first and foremost because I have a home. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
5
14 hours ago, Ikar said:

My car is 15 years old, so I am barely older than it, but from what I've heard, the new cars are garbage anyway 😄

Anyway, here's the things that I am happy about to have in my life:

My (ex)girl. She couldn't really point that gaming (and related activities) was the root of my problem, but she had to bear the consequences of it. Logically, she eventually had to break up with me, which sent me into resistance, but eventually I started figuring out the "why" and about a week ago it became crystal clear what the issue was, so I am grateful for her for this. Secondly, she still likes me and she's still showing me her support after I've figured this out, though I can understand she's a bit skeptical, as probably everyone would be after her experience.

My mom. She's been very supportive and understanding of my addiction as well. Gaming addiction is sneaky and it turns out that you can still have a job, a relationship and study at the same time, however the negatives are bound to show at some point.

This community. I'm not alone on this anymore, the idea and experience sharing here is eye-opening!

So much great stuff here. And I agree on the car thing haha!

I feel the same way about my past relationships. They taught me so much about myself, and I definitely wouldn't be the person I am today without them. Maybe one day I'll let them know the impact they had.

Thanks for sharing your list, and you're definitely not alone in this community!

9 hours ago, Undsoweiter said:

Hi, I am grateful for my very supportive family, the realization that it is never too late to change and my surroundings that allows me the time and opportunities for that change.

Definitely never too late to do anything, no matter what age you are! Really love that attitude!

4 hours ago, JPAO said:

I'm grateful for music, grateful for life and the opportunity to change, and grateful for love

I'm not sure where I'd be without music. It has a seemingly magical ability to soothe the worst of emotions, or even bring them about. 

What kind of music do you listen to?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@James Good I listen to a lot of different stuff haha, back to the whole previous relationship thing, I find I pick up at least one new thing that I enjoy per relationship, be it a genre of music or a style of art, or even a new perspective on my faith. Generally I listen to like pop/punk/rock/whatever 80's music I can find. Although I think I might be picking up indie and like choral hymns soon here 👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing that comes to mind is my own body. I do have some health issues but I am still grateful for what I have and am working to become healthier.

I am grateful for where I live. Sometimes when I get really stressed out by my job or living situation I have to remember this. At least I have food and a roof over my head.

I am very grateful to all the artists and musicians which I adore. Art and music has saved me so many times and continues to help me to grow and be a better person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gratitude is a really small practice that I've found brings a lot of benefits to life. I'm glad Cam brings it up in the course.

  1. I'm really grateful for my parents, who have let me move in to save money while I'm trying to get my life sorted out. At my age, it feels very embarrassing but the reality is that it's allowed me to have the time, energy and space to begin this transformation in the first place. 
  2. I'm grateful I live in an age where information like this course, and communities like this, are so easily accessible. It's amazing that all of human knowledge is at our fingertips these days. You basically have no excuse not to learn something new every day. Likewise, with this community, I can seek support here at any minute I need it. If you were an alcoholic in the 1930s reaching somebody else in your moment of crisis was probably nowhere near as easy as it is today.
  3. I'm grateful that it's spring now in Europe! Damn, I needed the sun for an energy boost and the excuse to go outside while detoxing. Great timing! 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget this often, but no matter how busy you are, it is important to reflect and be conscientiously grateful. It's a practice in choosing to focus on positives. 

1.) God. He is my only constant. 2.) Friends. I have some people that DO actually care. 3.) Quietness. I have a cave of sorts on this earth at the end of a long day.

Edited by 30_yrs_of_gaming
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Being born into a western, middle-class environment.

2. Friends at home, that won't forget me even if I'm out of the country for years and I can come back any time to a very welcoming environment with deep relationships.

3. Health. My seasonal allergy every summer reminds me how impactful health is on one's life and I'm grateful that apart from that I don't really have other issues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...