NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Ikar's Diary

Ikar

3 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

Ikar , interesting that you track number of hours per week that you invest in activities. Should try this myseld.

how do you create pressure to do more? Does it happen from certain deadlines, written daily plans or another source of inspiration?

It's good to know what I did during the day.

It's a combination of all of them. Having people to inspire you or push you helps as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phoenixking said:

I'm both happy and sad with how things turned out with Girl 'A'. I would have liked seeing you date somebody and see how that could grow. But I'm also happy that you're able to handle the situation like an adult. Good on ya!

I'm happy and grateful for how this turned out overall. I noticed in my actions and in my thoughts I like her more and more over time, so I decided to go for it. What I like the most about it is the organicity of the whole thing. We met at a party, chatted a bit, showed some mutual interest, hung out a few times, had a good argument and then I made the move. I'd expect the rejection would sting, but I think the main thing I was after was to establish some boundaries rather than already being deeply in love. I needed to know whether to approach her as a friend or as a lover. Having this settled, I know what my possibilities are now.

• Like 2

Day 489:

I studied for over 4 hours, watched a few interesting videos, got through mails, wrote my friends, went to an English conversation class, cooked and planned.

Edited by Ikar
  • Like 3

Day 490:

I studied, worked out and went to the shooting range with my friends. It was great fun and I enjoyed it! 🙂

Day 491:

I visited my parents, studied and planned.

---

Gratitude: I'm grateful for my ability to desire and for my ability to be inspired.

• Like 2

Day 492:

I set up Google Calendar instead of Excel, hopped around with basketball, cleaned my room extensively, read, studied, cycled and went out in the evening.

Day 493:

I did the groceries, watched a Forex stream, worked out, worked on the business with my friend and went to a philosophy seminar in the evening about Stoicism.

---

I feel the relationship between me and "Girl A" got colder, which I might not like at the moment, but I think it's a necessary phase my relationship with her needs to go through. It sounds odd, but part of the reason I asked her out was that I needed to know how much should I give that relationship. I learnt that openness and spontaneity might not necessarily mean romantic interest, at least not in her case. I also know that a rejection like that is about a difference in values; not because I said one or two wrong things.

It also made me realize I like the "long game" when it comes to dating. I enjoy making small advances, getting to know each other, even discovering flaws and insecurities of the other person, so that I am not completely deluded when "officially" starting the relationship with sex, so I know what the other person might deal with in life and how/if could I help them.

It made me wonder about my masculinity and femininity as well. I think I am somewhere right down the middle between feminine and masculine. I think the past year I made a great move towards being more masculine. I like getting stuff done and not being idle, I'm more persistent and I like to create some sort of a rhythm for myself. So I like to become friends with tougher and more proactive people and in the case of women see whether we can take it to the romantic dimension, while maintaining the relatively egalitarian friendship.

---

Three days in a row, my phone alarm didn't ring in the morning, so I got up an hour later every day. It's not horrible, but it is irritating.

I also need to figure out where to put notes, as I had some around in Excel around my calendar.

• Like 2

Day 494:

My mom happened to be in the area where I currently live and she invited me to a breakfast in a Belgian café. I had a baguette filled with scrambled eggs and arugula, as well as a turmeric tea, so that was cool. I spent almost the whole afternoon writing here and sorting out my thoughts. I went drumming with the band in the evening.

---

I'm going to be "minimally social" for a week, except for the promises I already gave, job interviews and work involvement. The reason for that is that I feel I am currently tilted towards seeking differences in people rather than commonalities. I think it's because I want to figure out what exactly drove me towards "Girl A", why her response was "no", let it sink in and incorporate the lesson to make a better "decision" (as if seeing romantic potential in someone would be a decision, haha) in the future. I also think I am using "being social" as a distraction from the work (be it working out, reading, writing, working on the business etc.) I ought be doing instead.

I wonder if this will be a phase or whether I will keep this up longer term and change some of my social circles. A year ago, I was happy to have at least a few; university, my family and the odd meetup. Right now, I am firmly in the territory where I have to decide whether "social circle A" is better than "social circle B" or whether I want to spend that time alone.

Easy decisions, hard life. Hard decisions, easy life.

• Like 2

Day 496:

I had an English class in the morning, fixed my phone (so the clock finally works), had two interviews for English lecturer, did some shopping, bought batteries for my bike's lights and a webcam and met with a friend I don't get to see often.

Day 497:

I left my friend's in the morning, visited my parents for family lunch and drummed with the band in the evening.

Day 498:

I did the laundry, wrote here, worked out, cooked, worked on a small uni project and read in the evening.

---

I think the interviews went well. I had a good chat in both of them and I felt pretty confident. I'm gonna have more classes soon.

I worked on the uni project today for about three hours and now I am facing quite a headache.

I am aware this week is not as asocial as I planned it to be. Especially today, being alone and working on the uni project while facing a headache made me crave some escape.

• Like 3

Day 499:

I finished my small uni project, wrote here and worked on a mini-report, checked out martial arts in the area, tidied my room a bit, cooked, watched a philosophical video, put the printer/scanner I got for my birthday into operational condition, worked on the business idea, went for a walk and read.

---

Good day.

• Like 3

I've been listening to this at work (which means I haven't actually comprehended a good amount of it but I've still learned quite a lot) and thought you might be interested in it, knowing how into philosophy you also are. Jordan Peterson talks trash about postmodernism quite a lot and although I respect his opinion generally, I figured I should learn what postmodernism actually is rather than just taking his word for it. This book seems to be pretty unbiased and explains that postmodernism isn't really one thing which makes sense...

Edited by ceponatia
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, gargamel said:

@Ikar Nice day you had! Tomorrow is day 500, so nice. Congratz in advance

Thanks for the support 🙂

8 hours ago, ceponatia said:

I've been listening to this at work (which means I haven't actually comprehended a good amount of it but I've still learned quite a lot) and thought you might be interested in it, knowing how into philosophy you also are. Jordan Peterson talks trash about postmodernism quite a lot and although I respect his opinion generally, I figured I should learn what postmodernism actually is rather than just taking his word for it. This book seems to be pretty unbiased and explains that postmodernism isn't really one thing which makes sense...

Thanks for the recommendation! I never "read" an audio-book before, but it might be worthwhile when I'm on a train or something.

• Like 3

@ceponatia @Ikar I'm a philosophy major and decently well read in post-modern philosophy. I wouldn't discourage you from reading this book because it will prove useful and thought provoking, but just keep in mind it is flawed. It simplifies to a point of un-recognition. Hicks fails to read properly both the pre-modern and the so-called post-modern philosophy, he looks at both from a simplified and prejudiced enlightenment perspective. But, to be honest, if someone is to write a book that wouldn't be simplified and prejudiced about these topics it would be completely incomprehensible to laymen. 

A youtuber who is both a communist and a postmodernist did a good video critiquing the book. Btw guys, I am neither a communist nor a postmodernist, I'm into ancient greek and roman philosophy and a traditional hindu, heavy conservative in my values, so I have no "horse in the game", but his video is recommendable (after you are done with the book)
link to the video

Edit: I watched the video and got reminded how poor some aspects of the book are. Especially his account of Kant and Hegel. I read both extensively, and both are obvious modernist thinkers, both obviously pro-enlightenment, so Hicks' account of them as "counter-enlightenment" and "anti-reason" (my gosh), shows that he just didn't do the proper work and failed to understand their work. I held similar views when i was in high school... that is, before I managed to understand what are they actually talking about. 

Edited by gargamel
  • Like 3

Day 500:

There was a bit of "dry" masturbation during the night. I couldn't sleep well because I was anxious, though I am not sure what would I be anxious about either today or in some near future, but it might be connected to the findings in my report I'm working on. I got up at 0550 regardless and I realized I have a starting cold, judging from my stiff back and runny nose, so I put on my hoodie to keep warm.

I worked on my report, watched a Forex stream, did some stuff for uni online, finished my laundry. Then I went to visit my brother. We didn't go into anything deep, but the hour and a half seemed to flow by fast. I went to the MRI with my shoulder afterwards. I also decided to try out sauna to stop the cold that's creeping up my back.

Gratitude: I am grateful for 1-on-1 talks with other people.

• Like 1

This is sort of a mini-report (edit: well, that got out of hand) "Goals and Aspirations" I came up with while evaluating the things I do in my life and how I would improve on them. I cannibalized these from my 31st December resolutions and my last monthly report.

I have goals and action plans in some of the areas already, but I need to get them all down, so there are no murky areas or at least as few of them as possible.

I need to write them down in numbers of hours they take a week to find out if it's even possible to be active in all these areas. I need to get my head straight.

priority ranking: 0 - unconditional, 1 - important, 2 - useful, 3 - nice

----------

DAILY:

name: sleep

priority: 0

goal/aspiration: not going insane

current action: 8 hours daily = 56 hours a week

projected action: OK

feeling: My sleeping habits have always been fine, even when I was gaming. It got worse several months ago, but then it got better again, since I stopped doing "dry" masturbation for the first time a few months ago. I still do it every now and then, but I have to feel very anxious or very sexually driven to do it.

name: books (not articles)

priority: 1

goal/aspiration: read a book a month (approx. 500 pages)

current action: 2x week - 1 hour session = 2 hours a week

projected action: 30 minutes daily = 4 hours a week (+2 hours change)

feeling: I think I read about half the amount, in bigger blocs, something along the lines of twice a week per hour. I like to combine reading with getting out for a walk (when the weather is fine) and that usually takes 1,5-2 hours combined.

name: meditation OR walk (calming activities)

goal/aspiration: take a healthy breather during the day

current action: 2x week - 1 hour session = 2 hours a week

projected action: 30 minutes daily = 4 hours a week (+2 hours change)

feeling: I actually got myself to meditate a few times recently and combined with the walks, where I just focus of being in the moment or let my imagination roam free, they're both good activities for relaxation. Meditating + reading might turn out to be an interesting indoor alternative to walking + reading if the weather is bad.

name: journal (+ gratitude)

goal/aspiration: keeping track of what I do and how I do it (along with Google Calendar = planning)

current action: 15 minutes daily = 2 hours a week

feeling: This habit has taken a dent recently, I did a couple of quad entries. I can make time for it before sleep, so I'm going to link them better. Even if writing on my phone is annoying, I could at least drop in a "checking in" post for the day and complete the entry later when I'm back on the computer.

name: brushing teeth + shower

goal/aspiration: not dying in my own filth

current action: 30 minutes daily = 4 hours a week

feeling: I just realized it would be a good idea to visit my dentist again for the regular half-year checkup, so I am having an appointment in a month.

name: eating

goal/aspiration: not dying and not eating garbage

current action: 2 hours daily = 14 hours a week

feeling: This can be combined with some of the more passive/relaxing activities, e.g. watching a video, listening to music, but there are almost none in the list, meaning they are not as important.

----------

SEMI-DAILY:

name: drumming - SOCIAL

priority: 3

goal/aspiration: local small concerts in the area

current action: 2x week - 3 hour sessions + 2 hours transport/cycle = 8 hours a week

feeling: Honestly, I'm not feeling too great about it. It could've/would've/might've been different if CV didn't happen (met with the guys right before the lock-down), so we would start meeting up regularly before mid-June, or if I got back into it right after I quit gaming (I put the first ad online about a year ago, when I was returning from Iceland; I actually got about 7 responses during the time, but I felt they were too pro/too far/too whatever). The guys I am with are not super pros either, but I sense music is just a bigger part of their life than it is of mine and that they put more effort into it.

name: university

priority: 2

goal/aspiration: pass the exams and get the title

current action: (1x week - 2 hour session) = 2 hours a week

projected action: (1x week - 8 hour classes + 1x week - 2 hour session) = 10 hours a week (+8 hours change)

feeling: I feel as if this option as a means of getting myself a good/better job loses its relevance the longer I am working towards it. If I was blunt, I'd send it out to combat the triumvirate of jobs below and I do not think it would stand up to any of them. I don't need it for Forex nor the business idea. For me as an English teacher it would look nice to have the title before my name, but the field of studies is not related to it at all.

The biggest advantage of it is that it does provide some nice monetary benefits in forms of lower taxes or cheaper living at the dorm, so I might want to calculate how much does it save/make me and decide whether I want to get the major or if bachelor will suffice. Another good piece of news is that I actually do not have to attend the classes, but then I'll have to catch up on any/all coursework on my own.

name: exercise/martial art - SOCIAL

goal/aspiration: get into martial art in mid-Sep (after excursion in mid-Sep)

current action: (2x week own - 1,5 hour session) = 3 hours a week

projected action: (2x week martial - 1,5 hour session + 1x week own - 1 hour session + 2 hours transport/cycle) = 6 hours a week (+3 hours change)

feeling: I found Aikido and Krav Maga classes nearby. Aikido's advantages lie in that it's cheaper and that there's a bigger spiritual element to it. In practicality and schedule, I prefer Krav Maga - I'm in love with the idea I would get to a training at 0630. I'm going to visit both classes for comparison. I also need to figure out what's up with my shoulder and for that reason I went to the MRI with it yesterday.

name: (active) writing

goal/aspiration: one blog post every month + monthly report + writings like this

current action: irregular (this took me solid 6 hours the past 3 days)

projected action: (1x week - 3 hour session) = 3 hours a week

feeling: I'm going consider this activity to be active writing as well; writing myself for myself. It's good to sort out thoughts and put them on paper (or a diary/blog/website) from time to time.

name: family

goal/aspiration: maintain good relationships with my family

current action: (2x week - 3 hour + 4 hour session + transport 2 hours) = 9 hours a week

projected action: (2x week - 3 hour session + transport 2 hours) = 8 hours a week (-1 hour change)

feeling: I think I may be spending more time than I need to visiting my family currently. I enjoy having lunch and chatting with grandma afterwards once a week, so I don't mind spending 2-3 hours a week like this. An interesting side note is that I might be overall more attracted to women who share personality traits with my grandma rather than my mom, because I think she was around more when I was a kid.

It's different when the family (mostly mom, dad, brother and I) are together. It's strange, but it's as if there was nothing to talk about. We have lunch, then I play Scrabble with mom and then I just lounge about for a while before going home. I don't get to spend almost any time alone with any of them, though the conversation I had with my brother yesterday was good.

name: clean the room!

goal/aspiration: not dying in my own filth

current action: (1x week - 1 hour session) = 1 hour a week

feeling: I've just remembered the times where my X begged me to clean my room and put it at least into some order. Now I'm doing it without you, babe.

name: shopping

goal/aspiration: having food is good

current action: (2x week - 1 hour session) = 2 hours a week

feeling: I actually went to a big supermarket a few days ago and I challenged myself to test on how much "garbage" I would buy. I bought heaps of fruits - nectarines, grapes, olives, then white paprika, chicken breasts, cheese, wholegrain pastry and that was it.

I abstain from alcohol. Sweets/snacks/crackers are supplied by my grandma (I'm currently sitting on about a kilo of chocolate) at a rate I can't eat them and I already gave some out. I guess the only stain in this regard is the occasional instant soup I have (to put something warm into the stomach), but even then that is usually supplied by tomatoes, paprika, olives and pastry, cheese and meat.

name: cooking

goal/aspiration: having warm food is good

current action: irregular - 2 hours a week (?)

feeling: I cook these three things - chicken breasts (30-40 mins preparation), chicken (30 mins) and scrambled eggs (15 mins). First two I put into fridge and can eat at a later time during the week, the last one I eat right away. I estimate I don't spend more than 2 hours cooking a week, but I never observed it.

name: being social - SOCIAL

priority: 1-3

goal/aspiration: other people help us not get insane

current action: irregular - 10-15 hours a week

feeling: I'm putting all other unsorted social activities here. I'm going to let the hourly expenditure take precedence over priority, because then I can identify them during the week easily and lump all the irregular meetings into one pack. This includes meeting with friends 1-1, socializing in groups, philosophy courses, English discussion clubs, volunteer English... Some of them are great and some of them are a drag.

I'm aware there are other activities, such as planning, sending mails, some random emergencies or getting dressed, but I tried to depict the ones I can put together easily time-wise and that take at least an hour to do weekly. Monthly activities I didn't include either (shooting range, monthly reports), because the week is the best unit of resolution for this.

----------

I didn't count this before, but with all my projected actions as I have them planned, I'd have about 35 hours left for something else. Currently, I am sitting at around 50. The bad news is that in all those hours above, I do not make a single dime. I saved up money before and learnt to live off of it, while teaching English several hours a week to pay for a few months of the whole year. To break even monthly now, I'd need to teach 15 hours of English a week - which is not horrible at the moment, but that number will go up the older I get (more taxes, flat/house, family etc.)

----------

JOBS:

Based on the previous text, it's obvious I need to put more time into these. I'm currently involved in three (potentially) money-making activities:

English - my current income; I enjoy it and I've been doing it for over two years, but there is not enough classes for me that would be paid as well as I want

Forex -  my current expense; the past month has been quite horrible, as I went from around 110% to 75% of my initial amount

business idea - I made huge progress in the past month, but I'm going to have to put more time into it

----------

Paradoxically, my dream for the future is to live like I live now; so I can organize my work around my free time, but for now I have to bite my ass and slog on. I'm not retired yet, so I do not have a pension; I am not a business owner yet, so I can't reap the benefits of my work; and neither I have a few million €s at hand to just not care about anything.

Edited by Ikar
  • Like 1

Day 501:

I finished the report above, watched a Forex stream, sorted out mails, planned, did the groceries, prepared for the trip and went to the cottage of my friend to party.

Day 502:

I returned from the party and prepared to visit my grandma and to teach English in the evening.

---

I'm currently combating a slight cold, approximately from Monday. On Sunday and Monday, I went outside and I got wet and the weather was unexpectedly cold as well. I have a runny nose and I don't sleep too well, but otherwise I feel fine.

Paradoxically, I think the cold was the reason I went to the party, because I felt the activities I would do normally I wouldn't do well and that I'd just waste the time. I was driving, so I didn't drink at all - in fact, I kept myself warm, drank tea, gave out some of the beers I still have, chatted with others and found it funny to be the only sober person at the party. It's interesting to watch people who temporarily care less about their future 😄

Regardless, this only solidified me in the realization of my findings above; that I think everyone there (or at least every uni student there) would do better if they worked on... well, just about anything, for example gaining more independence from their parents (and to the extent from the state) by not needing as much of their money/support. I think it's fine to drink every other day if one finds an automated way to make hundreds of € every day, but the road to that achievement rarely lies in drinking every other day.

To end on a positive note, Forex this week went very well after the dumpster month of August.

• Like 1

Forex huh? My friend developed an addiction to it and lost a lot of his savings on it. There are some historical correlations between currencies like the dollar and the euro (they are in one boat as he says) and this along with following economic news allows to set up a strategy. Sometimes a political event makes a fall in a currency highly likely to happen and people buy into this.

Is it likely that given your study field (humanities) you will get more insight in risk and prediction psychology or is this forex a more technical/math work?

About your shoulder, did you ever injure it before? I think that heavy injuries can resurface if the exercise is physically straining.

Edited by Amphibian220
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

Forex huh? My friend developed an addiction to it and lost a lot of his savings on it. There are some historical correlations between currencies like the dollar and the euro (they are in one boat as he says) and this along with following economic news allows to set up a strategy. Sometimes a political event makes a fall in a currency highly likely to happen and people buy into this.

Is it likely that given your study field (humanities) you will get more insight in risk and prediction psychology or is this forex a more technical/math work?

The strategy I use is technical and mathematical, but there's a lot of psychology to it to Forex; when, why and how to enter a trade, how to deal with a shitty week/month etc.

9 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

About your shoulder, did you ever injure it before? I think that heavy injuries can resurface if the exercise is physically straining.

I know it "exists" for over two years now, but I have zero idea about its origin.

Day 502:

I had a short English class, took a nap, went for a walk and read, watched a philosophy video, read an article about "Reserve Police Battalion 101" and watched Simpsons in the evening.

---

It's funny how life works. At the beginning of the week, I put together a post regarding on how I use my time and how I want to use it in the future. The few days after, I'm forced to spend lazing around due to the cold and not doing much.  In a way, it is comforting to just be at home, to drink tea and to keep warm. It reminds me of the few times when I was sick in the past and how the slow days can be.

Grateful: I'm grateful for knowing there are people who are better than me in specific areas of life and my ability to be humble enough to learn from them, even though my ego dislikes it 😄

P.S. It's been 2 years since I left the military and 1 year since I got back from my Iceland trip. I'm happy my life is still moving forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ikar said:

Day 502:

I had a short English class, took a nap, went for a walk and read, watched a philosophy video, read an article about "Reserve Police Battalion 101" and watched Simpsons in the evening.

---

It's funny how life works. At the beginning of the week, I put together a post regarding on how I use my time and how I want to use it in the future. The few days after, I'm forced to spend lazing around due to the cold and not doing much.  In a way, it is comforting to just be at home, to drink tea and to keep warm. It reminds me of the few times when I was sick in the past and how the slow days can be.

Grateful: I'm grateful for knowing there are people who are better than me in specific areas of life and my ability to be humble enough to learn from them, even though my ego dislikes it 😄

P.S. It's been 2 years since I left the military and 1 year since I got back from my Iceland trip. I'm happy my life is still moving forward.

Has anyone asked you to take a Covid19 test because of the cold or no?

8 hours ago, BooksandTrees said:

Has anyone asked you to take a Covid19 test because of the cold or no?

Some of my family told me to visit the doctor if the cold doesn't go away in a few days, but I think that's common sense even if there was no CV. I'll go visit the doctor on Tuesday if the symptoms persist.

• Like 1

Day 503:

I watched "Triumph of the Will", went for a walk, read, got through all my emails and articles, read again, watched some Simpsons and wrote here. I finished reading the "Red Queen" by Matt Ridley and started reading "The Art of Loving" by Erich Fromm. I canceled the session I had with the band today.

---

One thing that struck me on a personal level during watching the "Triumph of the Will" (I actually got it almost a year ago, but decided to watch it just now, because I felt like having the time) is that one can't do great things if he doesn't believe in them. The trouble with that of course is that you can believe the wrong things and do the wrong things. I did the same when I gamed. I put the entirety of myself into gaming (and later my X). I must learn to wield this powerful force to my advantage and for the good, so it doesn't scorch me like in the past.

---

I get to see "Girl A" every now and then, but I do not mention it. I could just be reiterating what I wrote before, nevertheless I'm happy with the outcome. Before I made the move, I saw some of her shortcomings. I started seeing more of them after the possibility of dating her was gone, but I guess that was to be expected. Despite that, it was an improvement from when my previous attempts with women.

It just shows how incredibly complex proper dating is. Sure, you can meet a girl at a party and kiss her at the end of it, then set up a date and have sex in the span of a few days or even the same day. Except now you date a girl who you know almost nothing about. I'm repulsed by physicality induced by alcohol. In my case, I'd ideally scout and then date the girl several times - both alone and in public, meaning weeks or rather months of interaction.

---

I felt fairly absent-minded after watching Simpsons. I think there's something unsettling about having too many days without too much of a plan - the days just flow by and little gets done. I'm gonna be more active tomorrow.

Day 504:

I wrote to my friends, worked on my business plan, visited my family and watched a video regarding the business.

---

A fairly fragmented day, but I got more work done than yesterday. Visiting my family was somewhat irritating; my mom was all over the place, so I had to help her prepare the lunch I was invited for and during our Scrabble match she kept running around doing other stuff, so instead of getting back to the dorm at 1530 and ready to eat in an hour or two, I got back at 1700 and hungry.

Gratitude: I'm grateful for my military past. Less talk, more do.

• Like 2

Day 505:

I had a Skype English class, worked on the business project, had a Skype interview, arranged a new student for English classes, went for a walk, read and spoke with my friend in the evening.

---

There was still a lot of idle/random activities throughout the day, but overall I think it was more action-packed than yesterday. Looking forward to being 100% free of cold again.

Gratitude: I'm grateful for philosophy, where the goal is the process.

• Like 3