NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Ikar's Diary

Ikar

Day 354:

I worked on another article for my blog, played football, did a bit of Forex, set up Mozilla Thunderbird and sorted out my computer desktop. I also finished watching the fourth season of "The Expanse" and I think the third season was the best one 🙂

• Like 2

Day 355:

I worked on my blog, did some Forex and watched a related webinar, watched a light-hearted theater play, went for a walk and played desktops until night.

Day 356:

I did Duolingo, cycled to a shop, relaxed outside, took a nap, went for a walk, read, cleaned my room. I went on a nice date in the evening, so I'll see what comes out of that. I'm vigilant.

• Like 1

I so want to get back into Duolingo but I have way too much on my plate right now, which is actually a good thing because I've gone from gaming all day to learning all day and that's not something many humans can say. It's inspiring that you keep it up though! Do you find you're learning the language well? I studied Turkish off and on for about a year through Duo and I'm pretty good at reading and writing and can somewhat understand when I hear a Turkish song or TV show, but I can't speak it for crap!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ceponatia said:

I so want to get back into Duolingo but I have way too much on my plate right now, which is actually a good thing because I've gone from gaming all day to learning all day and that's not something many humans can say. It's inspiring that you keep it up though! Do you find you're learning the language well? I studied Turkish off and on for about a year through Duo and I'm pretty good at reading and writing and can somewhat understand when I hear a Turkish song or TV show, but I can't speak it for crap!

It is the same for me with Russian, but luckily I have some Russian-speaking people around me on the dormitory, so I sometimes listen and talk to them. Duolingo is good for getting the hard knowledge of the grammar/vocab, but it's still necessary to get out there and use the language actively.

• Like 2

Day 358:

I watched a thoughtful video, finished the book I was reading, did Duolingo, took a walk, shopped at the grocery, watched a bit of Jocko Willink, planned my next week, worked on my blog, did a bit of Forex, read an article about late X early specialization in life and had a good workout.

• Like 1

Day 359:

I worked on my GIS project for uni, watched a Peterson video, worked out, did a bit of Forex and went out for a walk the girl again to chat.

Day 360:

I read and then I visited my friend who works in the finance and we set up and appointment the next day regarding a long-term investment plan. I visited my grandma and my brother and I played card-games in the evening.

Day 361:

I visited my friend regarding my long-term financial plan, we finalized it and got it up and running. I cycled on my bike, had a quick workout outside and read. I had a webinar in the evening about psychology. I didn't manage to work on my GIS project though.

---

I think these times are one of the more trying on my psyche ever since I quit gaming. I think it's a good test though, whether I can keep myself together and stay true to myself. If she's truly intrigued in me, that is all I got and it's the best way forward anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ikar said:

Day 359:

I worked on my GIS project for uni, watched a Peterson video, worked out, did a bit of Forex and went out for a walk the girl again to chat.

Day 360:

I read and then I visited my friend who works in the finance and we set up and appointment the next day regarding a long-term investment plan. I visited my grandma and my brother and I played card-games in the evening.

Day 361:

I visited my friend regarding my long-term financial plan, we finalized it and got it up and running. I cycled on my bike, had a quick workout outside and read. I had a webinar in the evening about psychology. I didn't manage to work on my GIS project though.

---

I think these times are one of the more trying on my psyche ever since I quit gaming. I think it's a good test though, whether I can keep myself together and stay true to myself. If she's truly intrigued in me, that is all I got and it's the best way forward anyway.

I love using GIS. I made a project with all ther bridges in my area of the country and gave it lots of properties to use for projects. Do you plan on using it in the future?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BooksandTrees said:

I love using GIS. I made a project with all ther bridges in my area of the country and gave it lots of properties to use for projects. Do you plan on using it in the future?

I like it too and I will probably use it for my bachelor thesis. I plan to continue the studies afterwards, but it's hard to tell what happens next 🙂

• Like 2

Day 362:

I began lurking on the NMMNG forums again for inspiration. I worked on my GIS project, watched Jocko Willink, did a survey on yourpersonality.com, took a walk and watched a webinar about property development. I also got into a new book the girl exchanged with me, called "Love's hidden symmetry" by Bert Hellinger, while I gave her the one I just finished before.

Day 363:

I read, worked on the GIS project, went for a walk, played football and watched Monty Python in the evening. I also worked out plans for both this new starting relationship and Forex, in case they won't go the way where I simply win and everything goes swimmingly. Vigilance.

• Like 2

Day 364:

I worked on my GIS project in the morning, read and visited my parents. I also went for a walk and played board games in the evening.

Day 365:

I worked on my GIS project, read, took a walk and had a nap outside.

---

The days are both long and short at the same time. The good thing this week was that I got started on the GIS project and I find it easy and even enjoyable to be working on it so far.

I make an effort to either go out or work out every day and I'm successful in that since the New Year. I want to do both the next week though - walk around for an hour, sit around/meditate outside for (half) an hour and work out for at least half an hour too.

After I am done with the GIS project, I also want to start writing on a more regular basis, be it either my blog, my biography, plans for the future or whatever else. I feel that I can't get away with random bursts of inspiration at this point. The book I am reading currently keeps me thinking and even writing a bit already.

• Like 2

Day 366:

I had an extremely productive day. I worked on my uni project (I think it is half-way there), read, went for an exploratory walk, published an article on my blog, worked out, did the groceries, played football and relaxed in the evening.

Day 367:

I read, visited my grandma, helped my mom transport a water-based hoover and did the laundry.

---

I started this diary a year ago. No speeches, but at least here's a funny story:

In the evening, I noticed a tick-like bug is attached to me on my butt. I got rid of it, however I wasn't 100% sure if I got it out right (to avoid infection) and I heeded my friend's advice to get it checked at the ambulance. I felt a bit like Forrest Gump during all that, but I am happy my curious case made a few people chuckle, including myself 😄

• Like 2

Day 368:

I worked on my GIS project, helped my mom getting the hoover back to the shop, washed the dishes, did Duolingo, took a walk, read outside in a park, read back at the dorm, watched a webinar about C.G. Jung and played board games in the evening.

Day 369:

I finished the book I was reading, did Duolingo, sent my GIS project for some troubleshooting, wrote down some blog thoughts, worked out, took a walk, cleaned my room and sorted out the laundry.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Alexanderle said:

Interesting. I have planned to read stuff of Jung in the future as well. Was it interesting?

I enjoyed it. I think I'm going to read something from him in the future as well.

• Like 1

Day 370:

I worked on my GIS project, went for a walk with the girl and played football.

Day 371:

I worked on my GIS project, started "Beyond Good and Evil" by Nietzsche, went for a walk and watched discussion between McChrystal and Peterson.

---

I have a good feeling about those walks. I'm in no rush and I take it easy; I wouldn't mind having this sort of interaction for the several upcoming weeks. It's hard to gauge, but I think she took a similar experience from her past relationship that I did; to try and work on herself.

• Like 2

Something on “No Mr Nice Guy”, ever since I started applying his principles, I stopped worrying about being exactly “right” as much. I used to be tense and withdrawn because I worried that my responses (opinions) wouldn’t be exactly perfect according to others. I remember a course mate telling me in those years: “You spend far too much time researching cases to prove your point, when in fact you have already proved it”. 

Uncertainty in decision making doesn’t bother me now cause I noticed there can be ad hoc solutions on the way, plus you cannot sit on the fence for far too long or you won’t get anything done at all.

I don’t like Nietzsche, I skimmed one of his books at an airport and the thing looked very hard to understand. Something about a super man. I like Aristotle for the simplicity of his ideas, even though I only saw extracts of his statements. I read somewhere that great scholars were true drivers of progress (advances in sciences, higher order values that improved health and well being of communities). This is kind of relevant for today- lack of leaders leaves a lot of people with lack of sense of direction.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

I don’t like Nietzsche, I skimmed one of his books at an airport and the thing looked very hard to understand. Something about a super man. I like Aristotle for the simplicity of his ideas, even though I only saw extracts of his statements.

Yeah, the book is difficult to read and think about. There is a lot of "novel" ideas, but here and there I see something I can understand outright.

9 hours ago, Amphibian220 said:

I read somewhere that great scholars were true drivers of progress (advances in sciences, higher order values that improved health and well being of communities). This is kind of relevant for today- lack of leaders leaves a lot of people with lack of sense of direction.

I think the issue with "leaderlessness" drags at least for several decades now, but I guess humanity always ping-pongs between order and chaos. The video I saw yesterday was also about whether governments are nowadays raising "citizens" or "consumers".

Day 372:

I worked on my GIS project, read, visited my parents and did some pullups and situps.

Day 373:

I worked on my GIS project. It's almost done, however I am struggling finalizing it, because I do not know the software. I also started watching "Yes, Prime Minister" after I've finished "Yes, Minister". I went for a walk, dribbled around a bit with a basketball on the playground, chatted with friends and played desktops in the evening.

• Like 1

Day 374:

I worked on my GIS project and requested some help on it from our teacher. I went for a walk outside and read as well, as the weather is great. I also did spinal exercise and Duolingo. I watched a WWII documentary about the liberation of my city and the area I live in.

I started going through my old messages here on GQ, to help me out with concepts for future blog posts and to remind myself of how it all started. I think it's a good idea to start chewing onto some ancient stuff that I could remind myself of, including bookmarks and other notes, physical or digital.

---

I think I caught up on my "normal stuff" entirely at this point by nearly completing the GIS project. That means I sometimes get bored, but I get creative afterwards and start doing something new/something I haven't done in a long time. It's refresting.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ikar said:

That means I sometimes get bored, but I get creative afterwards and start doing something new/something I haven't done in a long time. It's refresting.

That's great and an important transition. It kind of gets you thinking about how to spend newly gained time now on a more restricted level. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, BooksandTrees said:

That's great and an important transition. It kind of gets you thinking about how to spend newly gained time now on a more restricted level. 

I guess I have had a lot of practice with that about a year ago when I quit gaming and had 10+ hours to invest somewhere else. Moreover, delaying anything doesn't make much sense in my case, if every day goes as I planned it!

• Like 1