NEW VIDEO: The EASIEST Way to Stop Gaming

Ikar's Diary

Ikar

2 hours ago, Phoenixking said:

Yay! Progress! ?

Damn right! It never dawned on me that there wasn't too much to talk to me about, if my "ideal" day would be spent at home, either gaming a few niche games or watching other people play them. Whatever else I had I could talk about were chores or some societal things that were more or less forced on me (job, school) and that was all there was to me as a person.

Nowadays, it feels like I grew balls. I have opinions. I have beliefs. I like this and I don't like that. It doesn't matter if I am (more) right or if I am (more) wrong than somebody else. I feel like having beliefs I can fight for and finding "allies" who share them gives life meaning I can't get if I spend my whole life being ubiquitous.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 7:33 PM, Icandothis said:

Hi!

This is awesome that you are attending school events! So glad things are going well. 

Could you, briefly, expand on the groups thoughts of addiction? I would love to hear more. 

Have a beautiful day. 

Thanks! Moving to the center definitely helped out with that a ton.

I did not actually bring up the topic myself, it was one girl who mentioned writing her graduate paper on addiction. Her stimuli to do that was spending a few hours on Instagram daily. I remember the discussion also skirting "attention management" and going to chambers of complete darkness and silence (there should be one on one of the faculties and I want to check it out!). I don't think anything struck me as a particularly shocking discovery, maybe because the topic range was so wide.

I'll write something more about addiction in the post below.

• Like 1

Day 237:

I had a short English Skype lesson in the morning. It was fairly interesting, because the student started translating quite an advanced manual on his own, so it was a bit challenging for me as well. I searched for events to attend to the next week, although it looks like it won't be as busy as this one. I finished one of my works for uni, so I sunk a few hours into that. There's one more remaining that I have to get done by Christmas, so I'll make some headway tomorrow.

I went to the indie rock concert afterwards. Two of my former classmates from high school play in one of the bands and I already knew a bunch of people around, so I talked to the ones I knew from before and also to some I knew only by sight. I didn't see most of them for several months or even a year.

Even though I drifted away from indie rock as a genre, the bands had some punk elements to it and good solos for guitar and bass. I had not been to a concert in a long time, but I think I became more receptive towards music. The mosh-pit towards the end was great!

Day 238:

I woke up with a slight headache. I dodged an entry yesterday, mainly because I returned home at 3 in the morning and I was wasted. It was interesting, as while it made me less intellectually capable, it made me more spontaneous and carefree. I went to my friend's English classes again as support and we talked a bit afterwards. He makes his classes thought-provoking and I think the added value of that is great, as he's not just "teaching English".

I am going to post more in the morning.

• Like 1

Day 240:

I was teaching for 5 hours today. I managed to read some 20 pages of Gulag, walk for about 45 minutes, cook chicken breasts (probably for the first time since I left Iceland), do Duolingo and reduce a lot of tabs from my browser.

I feel my mind is insanely sharp the past few days and it's really dishing out one interesting connection or idea after another. I feel great and properly stimulated and I think that's a result of being quite social the past several days. It's tough to find spare time to do all I want to do though.

No Ejaculation: 1 day (12 days before)

Edited by Ikar
  • Like 3

Day 242:

I got up on time. I also got a new alarm track.

I had a short English Skype class and I had to drive to take care of an errand, so that was all for my morning. I took a peek at one biology presentation that was held nearby for a bit. I read Gulag for about 2 hours. I also decided to go for a jog and ran 6 kilometers in 30 minutes, which is pretty good. I've always been proud of my legs, as no matter what I did, they have always been strong.

I wanted to work on my paper for uni today, but I did not do much. It should take a couple of hours  and I technically have two days to finish it, but I'd like to get it done tomorrow. It felt like I used up all my willpower and focus on reading/running.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ikar said:

Day 242:

I got up on time. I also got a new alarm track.

I had a short English Skype class and I had to drive to take care of an errand, so that was all for my morning. I took a peek at one biology presentation that was held nearby for a bit. I read Gulag for about 2 hours. I also decided to go for a jog and ran 6 kilometers in 30 minutes, which is pretty good. I've always been proud of my legs, as no matter what I did, they have always been strong.

I wanted to work on my paper for uni today, but I did not do much. It should take a couple of hours  and I technically have two days to finish it, but I'd like to get it done tomorrow. It felt like I used up all my willpower and focus on reading/running.

Keep being patient and do what you can when you can. Try to avoid burn out and just keep doing your thing. You're doing well and just got over being sick as well. 

• Like 2

Day 243:

I did a bit of work on the paper to prepare me for today, although I did most of it today. I read a bit as well. In the evening, I went to play bowling with my friend and a bunch of other people. We drank a bit more than I'd like, but I managed to win a round! I slept over at friend's place afterwards.

Day 244:

I got up somewhat late and felt I drank the night before, although it was minor. I got to my dorms and continued writing the paper... up until now. I felt good and steady while writing it, without any stress. I submitted it before the deadline. I'll be okay if I'll have to re-work it a bit. I feel content right now. I hope to catch up on other things I've been writing soon.

• Like 1

Day 245:

I read in the morning, did a bit of paperwork and researched events for the next week. I went to the cinema with several of my former classmates and friends in the afternoon, went to play billiard afterwards and had a good time socializing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BooksandTrees said:

Merry Christmas! Thanks for the help this year.

All I do is trying to share my perspective on things, sometimes people agree, sometimes people disagree. I'm glad you found my input meaningful ?

Day 249:

I got up super late. We visited grandma for lunch today and I played Scrabble with mom. I read some articles on the internet regarding the psychology of human sex. Other than that, I feel like I did not do anything and I actually got a slight headache. Could it be because of my lack of routines I normally have when I am alone? I am back on the dorms and there's a party going on with the Erasmus students, so I am going to join the fray. I don't plan to get wasted, but one never knows...

• Like 1

Day 250:

Yesterday turned out fine and I had an interesting conversation where I put my listening skills to use. It gave me something to think about and write into my blog post I am preparing.

I ran/walked outside, did Duolingo and wrote and read for hours today. I do want to do more "practical" things tomorrow though, like cleaning my room, searching for job adverts or setting up my website.

• Like 1

Day 251:

I got up quite late again. I read and then attended an exhibition of nativity scenes with my parents and another couple of their friends. I returned to my place and I had lunch afterwards. I watched a fair bit of Peep Show, starring Mitchell and Webb. It's about two incompatible guys living together and their woes, especially with women, so it cracks me up quite a bit. I searched for job openings for a few hours and I cleaned my room a bit.

• Like 1

Day 252:

I went to a hiking event today, organized by a friend from the army I did not see for over a year. There were about 20 people. I did not know anyone there from before, but I still had fun and got to know a couple of people, either during the hike itself or the drinks afterwards. It was a good event and I enjoyed it.

I am planning to start planning for the new week/year tomorrow. I have a couple of ideas and even resolutions I'd like to get after.

• Like 1

Day 253:

I spent about two hours writing emails today. I visited my friend afterwards; he was sorting out his books and materials he needed to get rid of and I got to check out and take some of his older materials he used for English.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:20 PM, Ikar said:

Day 252:

I went to a hiking event today, organized by a friend from the army I did not see for over a year. There were about 20 people. I did not know anyone there from before, but I still had fun and got to know a couple of people, either during the hike itself or the drinks afterwards. It was a good event and I enjoyed it.

I am planning to start planning for the new week/year tomorrow. I have a couple of ideas and even resolutions I'd like to get after.

Those are the kinds of events that lead to finding friends and community. I've met a lot of people through meetups and stuff like that. Happy new year in advance. 

• Like 2